Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Never thought I would ask... But what to get for open taping?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Never thought I would ask... But what to get for open taping?
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:17 AM »
Dam this hobby and its bloodsucking ways. I caught the bug after taping the cowboy junkies last week, so now i am looking into an open rig(already ordered the clamping setup), i was looking at some AKG C 451 B's, they seem like they are a pretty decent mic for the price and have good range for a lot of situations. but honestly have no clue what comes next, including cables and pre which will run into a ihp or similar compact recorder(no all in one for now), can someone tell me what cables i need and what cost effective pre i could use into the ihp. thanks

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Never thought I would ask... But what to get for open taping?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:22:22 AM »
Dam this hobby and its bloodsucking ways. I caught the bug after taping the cowboy junkies last week, so now i am looking into an open rig(already ordered the clamping setup), i was looking at some AKG C 451 B's, they seem like they are a pretty decent mic for the price and have good range for a lot of situations. but honestly have no clue what comes next, including cables and pre which will run into a ihp or similar compact recorder(no all in one for now), can someone tell me what cables i need and what cost effective pre i could use into the ihp. thanks

Welcome to our world! 

First off, nice mics.  You'll be happy with those and they are darn nice sounding mics for your entry level situation.

If you're dead set against all-in-one, then I'd recommend a UA-5 which will give you a damn nice pre-amp at a nice price point.  The modded UA-5's hold their own sound-wise against the best.  An Oade or Busman mod should run in the $300 - $350 range.  If you aren't in for that much, then get a digi-modded UA-5 for around $170 - $200.  These are powered remotely using a 9V battery.  The 9V Li-Ion battery (the so-called Wally World battery since so many people used to find them at Wal-Mart, but I don't think they're on the shelf anymore) which you can still find on ebay I think for maybe $30 or $40, or less used.  Beware used Li-ions though to make sure they aren't depleted.  Good Li-Ions run the UA-5 and provide phantom power to your mics for something like 4 hours...plenty for your average show.  Or something like a power-runner with selectable output voltage would be even better and give you hours and hours of power.  Any battery supplier on the web should have a variety of options that are acceptable.  You'll need to make sure you have a cable to connect between the battery and the UA-5...and that the cable is equipped with the right tips.

***Make sure you switch polarity on the tip too, because the UA-5 polarity is opposite of most devices.  You may need to make a cable that connects the battery to the UA-5.  If your battery comes with one of thoes Radio shack tips, all you need to do is swap the tip around to get polarity right.  If you have a hard wire, you need to cut the wire and swap leads...snip the wires one at a time though to avoid shorting the battery and ruining it. ***

For starter cables, you'd just need a set of XLR...maybe right angle on the mic end and straight or RA on the pre-amp end.  Cables with Mogami or Canare wire should run you $40 or so...buy about a 12 to 15 foot length so that you'll have enough length to extend to the top of your mic stand.  Lots of people on our list prefer silver clad cable which have a sligthly brighter sound (although some people can't hear the difference; probably depends on your playback system).  I think there are lots of these listed on the Yard Sale right now in the $100 range.

I'm not sure what your recorder's line-in has, but there are a variety of options for going from the UA-5 to your recorder.  You'll have to figure that out, but the most popular is to use the optical out on the UA-5 if by chance you have an optical connection on your recorder.

Then all you need is something to carry it all in...I found that a rackgear backpack with built-in collapsible shelves is handy for the UA-5. 

Having said this, you really should consider an all-in-one solution such as a PMD-660 because you'll probably find yourself going this way sooner than later anyway.  It's probably only $200 difference in the end and you end up carrying just the mics, cable and recorder.  Simple.  Set-up is less time, less chance for errors in recording, etc. 

But the bottom line is that, if our experience is any indication, you'll probably be in all-in-one-land sooner than later anyway, so why not skip the frustration and the learning curve and jump straight in?

Powering the 660 is cake...just 4 AA rechargeables and you have 4 hours plus.

Another of the negatives of the entry level pre-amps which you'll fast become frustrated with is that there are no level monitors...only an idiot light to indicate if you're peaking and some preamps don't even have that.  On the UA-5, you can monitor levels with headphones, but that's clunky during a show and from my own experience, you often don't catch peaking until it's too late simply because the idiot light is easy to miss (so I usually ran with plenty of headroom, but that kinda sucks too because then the resulting sound wasn't quite as good as if you were running kinda hot)  Anyway, it's so much nicer to just have level meters to watch, so much easier to dial in your levels dead-nuts and so much easier to just gently tweek things during a show without kinda making a step level change.  Finally, you have a much higher confidence level during the show that your pulling a good sounding recording instead of kinda hoping.  To avoid all this, some people that use a UA-5 have bought an in-line level meter....what's it called...an SBM-1 I think.  I think these are hard to find though and run around $80 used.  I have no idea how they hook up.

Regardless of your decision, the above will get you going.

Have fun!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:43:44 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:30:32 AM »

Welcome to our world! 

First off, nice mics.  You'll be happy with those and they are darn nice sounding mics for your entry level situation.

If you're dead set against all-in-one, then I'd recommend a UA-5 which will give you a damn nice pre-amp at a nice price point.  The modded UA-5's hold their own sound-wise against the best.  An Oade or Busman mod should run in the $300 - $350 range.  If you aren't in for that much, then get a digi-modded UA-5 for around $170 - $200.  These are powered with a 9V Li-Ion battery which you can still find on ebay I think for maybe $30 or $40, or possibly less used.  Beware used Li-ions though to make sure they aren't depleted.  Good Li-Ions run the UA-5 and provide phantom power to your mics for something like 4 hours...plenty for your average show.  Or something like a power-runner with selectable output voltage would be even better and give you hours and hours of power.

For starter cables, you'd just need a set of XLR...maybe right angle on the mic end and straight or RA on the pre-amp end.  Cables with Mogami or Canare wire should run you $40 or so...buy about a 12 to 15 foot length so that you'll have enough length to extend to the top of your mic stand.  Lots of people on our list prefer silver clad cable which have a sligthly brighter sound (although some people can't hear the difference; probably depends on your playback system).  I think there are lots of these listed on the Yard Sale right now in the $100 range.

I'm not sure what your recorder's line-in has, but there are a variety of options for going from the UA-5 to your recorder.  You'll have to figure that out, but the most popular is to use the optical out on the UA-5 if by chance you have an optical connection on your recorder.

Then all you need is something to carry it all in...I found that a rackgear backpack with built-in collapsible shelves is handy for the UA-5. 

Having said this, you really should consider an all-in-one solution such as a PMD-660 because you'll probably find yourself going this way sooner than later anyway.  It's probably only $200 difference in the end and you end up carrying just the mics, cable and recorder.  Simple.  Set-up is less time, less chance for errors in recording, etc. 

But the bottom line is that, if our experience is any indication, you'll probably be in all-in-one-land sooner than later anyway, so why not skip the frustration and the learning curve and jump straight in?

Powering the 660 is cake...just 4 AA rechargeables and you have 4 hours plus.

Another of the negatives of the entry level pre-amps which you'll fast become frustrated with is that there are no level monitors...only an idiot light to indicate if you're peaking and some preamps don't even have that.  On the UA-5, you can monitor levels with headphones, but that's clunky during a show...it's so much nicer to just have level meters to watch.

Regardless of your decision, the above will get you going.

Have fun!

Thanks man thats a lot of good info, so you can run the mics right into a 660? hmmmm, anything else in that range

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 03:13:18 AM »
"what's it called...an SBM-1 I think.  I think these are hard to find though and run around $80 used."
That's a BeachTek SVU-1.  No longer available new.  SVU-2 includes a headphone amp but costs more.

The UA-5 will run optical into the H120  and give levels on the iRiver....

The Fostex fr2le seems nice from what lots say for an all in one. There have been some ebay deals around $400 lately.
Have you considered baffling your DPA 406x (j-disc or HRTF) for open situations on a stand?  This is what I do for open situations.  I run the same setup (120/320>CA 9100>DPA4061).  You could also go for spaced omni, as well.

Joe

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:01:02 AM »
Thanks man thats a lot of good info, so you can run the mics right into a 660? hmmmm, anything else in that range

You're welcome.  Correct...mics > cable > box.  That's it.  Once you get your recording made onto your CF card (which is the media used in the 660 and Fostex), you just put the CF card into your CF card reader and copy the files onto your computer.  Alternatively, you can hook up the 660 or Fostex via USB cable so your computer sees it as an external hard drive, but the transfer rates this way are slower than using a CF card reader (about 30-40 minutes vs about 5 minutes).

So right now in that price range ($400 - $450) it's pretty much the 660 and the FR2LE.  The 660 is a bit smaller.  The 660 is a 16 bit machine where the Fostex is 24 bit.  I have to admit, I was a skeptic at first about the advantages of 24 bit, but I'm sold now.  I would opt for 24 bit 100 out of 100 times.  The sound is better but even more importantly I think is that the extra information gives you ALOT more headroom before clipping.  Also, if your levels are too low, you really don't lose any fidelity if you have to bump your levels alot in post.  So, 24 bit gives you ALOT of lattitude in recording.

I've used both machines quite a bit and I would easily opt for the Fostex because of 24 bit plus it has a ton of really REALLY nice features not found on the 660.  The 660 is a great box though, don't get me wrong. 

Another potential thing is that I've heard that the Fostex is pretty decent sounding stock.  The 660 really pretty much sucks stock...the preamps are noisy and low quality for music applications...so I've heard. 

Both boxes are available for Busman mod, which I highly recommend.  But if you go with either, you can buy them and always use them for as long as you need to and then send to Busman later for his mod...which is WELL worth the money because his mods sound great.  Oade's mods also sound great, but you have to buy the box directly from him (which means the base cost of the box isn't discounted as in ebay prices) and his mods are about double the price of what Busman charges and I think they sound equally as good...although they're just different flavors of sounds.  Neither is better than the other, just different.  Pricing for Oade's boxes are available from his website.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:12:48 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
Having just navigated this same maze and based on the knowledge shared here, I went with the FR2LE and Peluso mics.  I am staying stock for a bit, just to get to know the gear and plan to send it off to get upgraded to busman next year.

I can not wait till the deck arrives, this week hopefully and will spend my weekend playing around and getting myself familiar with it. My goal is to record my first show on Dec 15, and I will post some samples if there is interest.

Best of luck and something tells me that both of us will be enjoying our new toys and be on the path of perpetual upgrades.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:46:49 PM »
I used to own a c451b/st pair.  They are certianly nice to start out with.  They are definitely on the 'brighter' side for mics, and the c451b is a bit brighter sounding and different from the original c45_/ck1 sound.  The 'brightness' can help with far-field taping, and can be really nice in boomy environments. 

In my opinion, they would best pair up with a pre/all-in-one that has a 'warm' sound.  If I were starting anew with the c451b/st pair, I'd probably go for the FR2LE all-in-one with either Busman's 'vintage' mod. or the Oade 'warm' mod.  They also sound really nice in front of a transformer based pre (best IMO), like a Sound Devices MP2/Mix Pre or an Aerco MP2, if you do not go the all-in-one route.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »
There's a W-mod UA-5 ($350) in the yard sale. This would pair up good with the AKG's. Get an iRiver recorder and you are golden.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90831.0.html

Edit to add link to the W-Mod
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:17:03 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com