Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transparent Mod UA-5  (Read 16342 times)

Offline cwfen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Transparent Mod UA-5
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:17:27 PM »
Saw some info over on oade.com about the new mod for the UA-5. Doug is apparently benchtesting a new, more extensive mod even as we speak... should be interesting! From what he is saying, it seems like a step up from the other mods he has done.

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&topic_id=1097&mesg_id=1539&page=

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
Re: Transparent Mod UA-5
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 01:49:02 PM »
Looks pretty cool! 
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:55:39 PM »
looks like the forst one will be coming to Denver, I'll have to get ahold of Darrin and see what's up, looks interesting!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 04:47:18 PM »
that Doug and his crazy MOD's ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 11:30:47 AM »
looks like the forst one will be coming to Denver, I'll have to get ahold of Darrin and see what's up, looks interesting!

Finally saw Darrin out taping last night--haven't seen him in eons.  He's got a taping rig together again, including the transparent mod UA5.  I think last night's dead show was its first time out in the field.  We'll have to get his reports back on it.  He ran Gefell m300>t-mod UA5>JB3 in the front row.  I believe right next to him was a guy running m300>V3, so Darrin was going to try to get a copy of that recording as well so he could compare.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 02:15:48 AM »
How does he come up with the names of them?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »
Todd -- great to see you sunday nite -- psyched to be getting back into the game.

My recording of sunday's show came out nice.  I had some HARD overs during drums (now I know how to run the ua5's levels :) ) so I'm probably not going to seed the entire show, but am happy to let folks grab it/excerpts from it from me once I track it out.  I gave my address to the guy running the m300>v3 he should be sending me disks shortly.  Should be a good comparison, though our mic configurations were a bit different.  I ran the m300s in a din config (90 degrees, ~20cm), he ran his at around the same spacing, but pointing @ the speakers. 

Per Doug -- here's the deal on the T-Mod (Transparent Mod) UA-5 -- It is more extensive then the P MOD or W MOD. In addition to the basics, I upgrade the analog DC power supply, P48, the signal path including the RCA inputs and use very low impedance caps in the signal path in addition to HQ bypass caps. The chips I use were chosen for their lack of coloration, ultra low distortion & noise plus fast transient response.

My observations so far are that the T-Mod UA5 definitely lives up to its name -- it sounds fast/punchy and quite neutral (transparent) -- I'm definitely a happy camper so far.

Thus, if I get the disks, a direct T-MOD ua5 vs V3 comparison could be very interesting.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 06:02:51 PM »
Good to see you too, Darrin.  Hopefully now that you've gotten some new toys we'll see you out a bit more often.

BTW, welcome to ts.com.  Be sure to look under the team boards heading from the main page.  There is an ongoing Colorado Crew thread (well, Colo-BRAH-do Crew at this point) where you can often find what folks are doing and what shows they're hitting.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline chris e.

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 11:51:32 AM »
I was able to test drive the t-mod in Boulder for my cousins band prior to Jerry's Dead, and ran the mics at the lip O' stage.  I'm so pleased w/the unit thus far as the soundstage sounded very clean and warm.  Although, I was running the mics in this bizzare pattern.  Never let soundmen (soundboard) tell you how to run mics. 

Plus the UA-5 is much more stealth than I originally thought.  I'm impressed.

C Evans

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 06:53:05 AM »
Chris & Darrin...
nice to hear from you guys!

I'd love to hear your recording from the other night....dispite whatever warts are present.
I've been groveling for some B&Ps from RR, but nobody has come through yet. 
sucks having no bandwidth.
:(

Offline Da Boss

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 11:01:41 AM »
Ummm...What is the problem with the UA-5 stock?
It is already transparent and has a nice soundstage STRAIGHT OUTTA THE BOX!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 11:26:46 AM »
Nick:

I owe you some shows!  Will burn 6/20 for you, any others from the run?

Da Boss -- Nothing is wrong with the ua-5 out of the box (once digimodded).  Doug's various mods merely improve upon a nice mic pre/ ad converter by rebuilding the analog front end with higher quality components.  I see Doug's goal as being to take a device that competes well with entry level devices and turn it into a "giant killer" that provides sound quality rivaling that of an apogee minime or grace v3 (but at less than 1/2 the price)

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 11:28:41 AM »
And unless your goal is to use the UA-5 without a computer, there's nothing wrong out of the box at all. Only if you want to use it as a standalone ADC, then you need a d-mod.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 10:05:49 AM »
Where can I get some samples? PM sent

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:25 AM »
The one sample I heard from an Oade recorded Gov't Mule show sounded way too bright for my pleasure. IMO the stock sound is better. There are a few samples on the Oade Taper's board... it's linked around here somewhere.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com