Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 119295 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »
I only hope that over time I can develop as strong a bond with the M10 as I had with my R50.

Take it from a recovering minidisc user: You will. And sooner than you think.  Don't worry, your MZ-R50 is happy for you to go on with your life and find a new companion.

The PCM-M10 comes with Audio Studio 9LE sound editing software, which can probably do your splitting for you. Though I end up doing all mine on the unit, despite the half-dozen clicks to get there.

Offline jeffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
D-50 = dedicated split button    :)

-Jeff

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2010, 09:17:53 PM »

You're right! I just took another look at the unit having thought it was a T.Mark button but it's in fact a Divide button. Well there you go then. If you're not stealthing (which I managed to do with the PCM-D50 anyway), then the more expensive PCM-D50 is the way to go. :)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »

You're right! I just took another look at the unit having thought it was a T.Mark button but it's in fact a Divide button. Well there you go then. If you're not stealthing (which I managed to do with the PCM-D50 anyway), then the more expensive PCM-D50 is the way to go. :)
For some reason, I have both recorders!

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
For some reason, I have both recorders!

You mean you don't know why? I have both because I needed something at the time of my MZ-RH1's death and bought the PCM-D50 in Japan back in June 2008. Then along came the PCM-M10 and it was the ideal size so I bought it while I was working in Vancouver in December 2009.

What's your excuse? :)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
I have both as well. D50 came out before the M10.  Always good to have a backup and I seem to favor the A/D flavor of the D50 a little more, but it's a bulky unit with the extended external mics.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
anyone using the Rechargeable high voltage 1.6V 2500mWh AA nickel-zinc in the M-10 ?

thread here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=118840.0

at amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGenix-ZR-PGX1HRAA-4B-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0029NZVZ0/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

other manufacturer links here
http://www.powergenix.com/applications.php http://www.powergenix.com/techhistory.php

seems like a great alternative to other types of batteries and cheap ta boot

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »

What advantage do they have over the NiMH batteries that would justify experimenting with them and risking reliability?    NiMH are common, cheap, have extremely long runtimes in this app, generally predictable end of life characteristics, etc.

I have read that nickel-zinc batteries are more suited to high rate of discharge applications. What we do tends to be slow discharge.

Offline Geissler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
so what's the real-world battery life of the M10 on a standard pair of 2500mAh NiMH AAs?

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »
so what's the real-world battery life of the M10 on a standard pair of 2500mAh NiMH AAs?

recording at 24/96 I filled a 16gb (7h 40m) card before the batteries died... but that was at home, not in the field

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »

recording at 24/96 I filled a 16gb (7h 40m) card before the batteries died... but that was at home, not in the field
i'm on 8 hrs on the aa that came in the box and the meter hasn't dropped one bit
if the reports are true then we should get over 20hrs easy
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »

What advantage do they have over the NiMH batteries that would justify experimenting with them and risking reliability?    NiMH are common, cheap, have extremely long runtimes in this app, generally predictable end of life characteristics, etc.

I have read that nickel-zinc batteries are more suited to high rate of discharge applications. What we do tends to be slow discharge.
well My thoughts were that they start at a high voltage 1.6v rather than the 1.25v of most rechargeable's  which is less than straight-up Alkaline at 1.5v _ I just figured they would have  a longer run-time
if no one is using them that's fine
If and when I get a M-10 I'll probably get some  NI-Zn and see how they roll.
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »

well My thoughts were that they start at a high voltage 1.6v rather than the 1.25v of most rechargeable's  which is less than straight-up Alkaline at 1.5v _ I just figured they would have  a longer run-time
--Ian
I would NOT recommend the NiZn unless you have a need for that extra voltage (flashlights, or other things that don't have voltage convertors in them might be likely candidates).  Both the Edirol and Sony flash recorders seem to be able to get enough out of the NiMH batteries (by voltage step-up inside), so why risk damaging them?

Now go ahead and buy a Sony rig and a pair of Countryman B3's.  You will not be disappointed...

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
^ You showed security your gear  :o

I had to do the same thing once for a Iron Maiden concert at that shitty venue, Hammerstein Ballroom.  The security guy kept bugging me to empty my jacket pocket out, so I busted out my dat (pcm-m1) and passed it off as a walkman...he let me pass because everyone standing behind me started bitching.  Yeah, they had us standing outside in 20 F to pat us down....
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

--Ian
I would NOT recommend the NiZn unless you have a need for that extra voltage (flashlights, or other things that don't have voltage convertors in them might be likely candidates).  Both the Edirol and Sony flash recorders seem to be able to get enough out of the NiMH batteries (by voltage step-up inside), so why risk damaging them?

Now go ahead and buy a Sony rig and a pair of Countryman B3's.  You will not be disappointed...

Richard
thanx Richard
I want a M-10 /Littlebox combo but first I'll need to sell some gear.... but September is a busy family month visiting with our 1 month old little guy, I won't have time to get out gear and take pics to post to put in the YS.
but soon I hope I may get the chance - likely not before October
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com