Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 119283 times)

Offline Geissler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2010, 04:35:33 AM »
After nearly a week with it I'm starting to get a feel for the M10. I've realised that the old minidiscs of yore HAD to provide superb onboard editing functionality because that was all you had. I miss easy track splitting and renaming, but as you can connect it to computer it's really no longer necessary. The focus is on collecting sound as quickly and efficiently as possible, something which the M10 does exceedingly well. Clumsy menus aside, when it comes to the crunch (recording NOW) the interface is intuitive and reliable. This device works so well in the field that, despite my nitpicking, I can't possibly send it back.

Oh, and soundforge is a dream.

Offline Geissler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
Forgot to mention: my biggest concern at the moment is the flimsy hold/power button. The spring that makes it bounce back after deactivating hold is very weak, so it's happened to me a couple of times that the unit has switched off when I needed to record quickly. Very annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is the power/hold switch supposed to be this flimsy or have I got a lemon?

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
I accidentely washed and dryed my  Sandisk 18 gig micro sd card and it seems to be working fine, it actually sounds a little cleaner. (maybe just my releif I didnt destroy it)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »
Forgot to mention: my biggest concern at the moment is the flimsy hold/power button. The spring that makes it bounce back after deactivating hold is very weak, so it's happened to me a couple of times that the unit has switched off when I needed to record quickly. Very annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is the power/hold switch supposed to be this flimsy or have I got a lemon?

Yours might be defective. On mine that spring is...springy, and you have to seriously hold it down, 3-5 seconds, to shut off. It shouldn't happen inadvertently unless, I guess, it's in a really tight pants pocket.

Offline Geissler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
Glad to hear that, earmonger. It happens sometimes when I disable hold and drag it to the bottom, then let go... it sometimes get stuck at the "off" position, thus switching it off.

I'll email sony.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
Take it back to your retailer and compare it to another unit there. I'm pretty sure you've got a bad switch because mine is also quite springy and needs a little friendly coercion to switch on/off.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:14 AM »
what's the group wisdom on good cards to use with this deck?  I just ordered one and will need to grab a card for it.  Probably just an 8GB..

thanks
jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
what's the group wisdom on good cards to use with this deck?  I just ordered one and will need to grab a card for it.  Probably just an 8GB..

thanks
jesse

the 4 gb interna will get you 4 hours at 24/48.

the 8 gb will do the trick, i say newegg.com has teh best deals

congrats!~
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »

Sandisk have never let me down. I've got the Sandisk Mobile Ultra 16GB card in mine. Hasn't skipped a beat.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
on the note of cards what class are you all using Class4 Class 6 - or higher?

I have used Transcend cards with much luck on a variety of units (recorders/cameras) just not the M-10
anyone favor  or care to report onTranscend?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Geissler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
card class will only affect how fast the files transfer to you computer, because the kind of throughput the M10 needs for recording doesn't even max a class 2 card.

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
I am using this 4 GB, class 6 card from Transcend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013DXVYK/ref=oss_product

It has been working great since I've bought it. I am only sorry I haven't bought the 8 GB one.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »

I've found that Amazon is often cheaper than Newegg.  Newegg's search function is far superior, and I trust the reviews more.  Conversely, Amazon's search function is horrible.  So I always use Newegg to find the product I want, and then copy and paste the product number into Amazon and often save money that way.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #284 on: September 07, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

I've found that Amazon is often cheaper than Newegg.  Newegg's search function is far superior, and I trust the reviews more.  Conversely, Amazon's search function is horrible.  So I always use Newegg to find the product I want, and then copy and paste the product number into Amazon and often save money that way.

The only problem with that thinking about Amazon is how many products are sold on Amazon but not actually by Amazon.   Lots and lots of reliable and unreliable sellers on Amazon.   Two friends purchased what turned out to be counterfeit CF cards from different sellers on Amazon and both got the big 'f' you from Amazon customer support since it turned out both were from people using Amazon as a store front and the sale was not actually by Amazon.

The best thing in my opinion about Newegg is without doubt their reliability.   From the reviews section to inventory counts to shipping to RMA's  they always deliver.   As with any product they may not be the absolute cheapest but they are damn close and the difference is worth the piece of mind.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com