Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on-stage taping  (Read 71194 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
on-stage taping
« on: March 18, 2003, 01:31:26 PM »
What's mic config do you guys usually run on-stage?  I was thinking xy or ortf, but was curious.  This is for OM Trio if that helps.

Daryan

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:on-stage taping
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 02:32:19 PM »
x/y, m/s (which is essentially x/y that you can adjust the angle in post), blumlein (fig8's x/y 90*).  of course m/s & blumlein are only an option if you have a fig8 cap.

ortf exaggerates the L/R separation, I like to hear the music "float" between my speakers, not have one instrument come out of one and another out of the other.

don't worry about getting your mic stand in the center of the stage.  You'll want to use your ears to find a spot where you'll pick up the best balance between the instruments, their amps, and the monitors (if the band uses them).  I try to keep the monitors out of the recording since they tend to screw up the image, but if the band uses any electronic instruments (ie. keyboard, synth) you may need to get some monitor in your mics.

good luck,

Craig T.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Jason Brantley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 03:59:22 PM »
Hey Craig,

Finally getting around to listening to that SKB from 2/21/03 you were generous enough to send us.  

Great example of a M/S stage tape.  Sounds GREAT!  That ADK UA5 combo sounds great considering for the price point.

Thanks again for sending it our way.

Peace,

Jason Brantley
jason@sonicsense.com

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 06:30:12 PM »
I would like to know more about on stage taping. Where do you set up, what exactly are you picking up on stage? Best configs, stand height, etc.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
Re: on-stage taping
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
Quick question...(just going to bump this since it the first on stage thread that search came up with..)

how high do people normally run on-stage?  I was really hoping to try it tonight but my DIY stand out of a 5 dollar walmart lamp will only be running the mics about a foot and a half off the ground in their mounts.  I'm hoping to get a SBD as well so I'm not really worried about vocals.  Its an upbeat all strings bluegrass band just FYI.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
Waist high for strings.  I try to run above the kick drum but below cymbals from rock music.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Waist high for strings.  I try to run above the kick drum but below cymbals from rock music.

I agree. I normally run about 1'>1.5' above the stage monitors :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »

I agree. I normally run about 1'>1.5' above the stage monitors :)

Same here. 

I'll add that spaced omnis can work really work well on-stage too. 

I ran three simultaneous on-stage rigs last night for an instrumental trio (guitar left, drums center, acoustic bass right):
1) Three L/C/R spaced omnis, ~29" between each
2) M/S ADK TL's
3) Tetramic (basically advanced 3-dimentinal M/S)

The ADKs and Tetramic were on the same stand, Tetramic on-top at about snare height, in-line with the snare and just right of the kick.

The omnis were closer and a bit higher, miniature mics gaff taped to aluminum welding rods that I can bend into position however I like and which are near invisible from the audience with the lights down.  I'll try and remeber to post a couple photos after I get home tonight.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »
photos-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
But like Brian notes, I'd prefer to run higher if it was a string band.  Bear attached his omnis to the FOH mic stands for his O&ITW recordings back when and that stuff sounds great to me.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:52:44 PM »
Nice pics!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
Well, pretty crappy pics IMO, but at least I finally remembered to take a few of my mic setup.  They ain't gonna to win no photo journalism awards, but thanks!

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:45 PM »
hey gutbucket, what stand are the adk's and tetramic mounted on. that looks like a good stable mic stand for onstage that should be lighter than my stand with weighted base....

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
hey gutbucket, what stand are the adk's and tetramic mounted on. that looks like a good stable mic stand for onstage that should be lighter than my stand with weighted base....

some early discussion of that back in http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=100989.0

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »
^^^^
that probably covers it.
(just finished typing..haven't followed link)

It's a folding small floor-fill light stand base with a thumb-scew tightened socket that secures a vertical stanchion. I bought it as a set with a short 2' single-telescoping Bogen extension that extends 14" or so.  That extension is what I usually use for this, but is not what you see in the photo above. This time I used a cusom bar I made a few years ago specifically to hold the big TLs as close to coincident and to the center of the tube as possible.  It was made to screw onto the stud at the top of a stand with a nut welded on the bottom, but the outside diameter of the tubing also fits perfecty into this foot socket, so it also works great low, on-stage.  There is a threaded stud at the top which the Tetramic is attached to.

The foot may be availible alone, I know the extention is.  It is simple, very stable, and folds up like a hand fan.  Drawbacks are that it is a bit heavy since it is all thick steel, that the legs sometimes stick out a bit far for some situations, and that minimum hight with the Bogen extension is about what you see above with the custom bar. Not as heavy as a weighted base, though.

edit-
Thanks Flipp, I forgot I blathered extensively about that already!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:26:36 AM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com