Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 129519 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
So I got ahold of SD and ask a few questions.  Really about the AD>DA and looking to lock it to an external clock source.

i Kirk,

I got some answers from the head engineer.

By default, the outputs of the USBPre 2 only carry signal from the computer. There is a DIP switch that configures the USBPre 2 to send whatever signal is going to headphones to the outputs. This is how the USBPre 2 can be used as a preamp / converter in Stand-alone mode. When this option is engaged and the Monitor Mix knob is turned all the way to "PRE", the signal path from analog inputs to analog outputs is fully analog. So good thing I asked!

The USBPre 2 will lock its sample rate to that of incoming digital signal, regardless of what sample rate the USBPre 2 itself is set to (Via DIP switches in Stand-alone mode or via software in Interface mode). It does not do any sample rate conversion.

So no it will not accept an external spdif clock and allow mic input.  But the is no resample on the analog outputs.  Louie is right I'm all over this for a digi input to my 680

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
If these catch on, I predict the standard power supply will be a home-made (or Gak-industries) 7805 voltage regulator boxes and DVD batteries.  It's cheaper and longer lasting than those boutique USB batteries.
5400 ma-hr / 500 ma = 10+ hours.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

kirk97132

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
Well I went and ordered one.  And FYI the price of $549 is 100 less than SD authorizes dealers selling them for.  It does say sponsored but I was warned that they might not a fully licensed dealer.  For $100 I'm willing to risk it.  Don't have an ETA yet.   Anybody wanna buy an Apogee AD-1000 ;D

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 03:20:03 AM »
The USBPre 2 will lock its sample rate to that of incoming digital signal, regardless of what sample rate the USBPre 2 itself is set to (Via DIP switches in Stand-alone mode or via software in Interface mode). It does not do any sample rate conversion.

Hey Kirk, thanks a lot for getting in touch with SD.
Could you shoot them another question?

I'd love a confirmation that the optical out signal is compatible with Sony D50, ie that there is a 24bit flag embedded in the PCM stream. Read about the issues in this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=95964.msg1671535#msg1671535

Its the fault of the device in front of the PCM 50 which is not sending the correct flag for 24 bit. PCM 50 will fall back to 16 when this flag is not embedded in the  PCM Stream. ... The Grace Design V3 has this corrected in the newer firmware
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:25 AM »
I would imagine it passes the correct flag!  I know that Grace fixed this issue with the V3.  I can't imagine that SD would put out a producet without the most current specs.  I know the UA-5 had this problem, but it is old technology and a discontinued product. 

I'd love a confirmation that the optical out signal is compatible with Sony D50, ie that there is a 24bit flag embedded in the PCM stream. Read about the issues in this thread:

Its the fault of the device in front of the PCM 50 which is not sending the correct flag for 24 bit. PCM 50 will fall back to 16 when this flag is not embedded in the  PCM Stream. ... The Grace Design V3 has this corrected in the newer firmware
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
Any ideas on how you are going to power it?

Well I went and ordered one.  And FYI the price of $549 is 100 less than SD authorizes dealers selling them for.  It does say sponsored but I was warned that they might not a fully licensed dealer.  For $100 I'm willing to risk it.  Don't have an ETA yet.   Anybody wanna buy an Apogee AD-1000 ;D

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
I would imagine it passes the correct flag!  I know that Grace fixed this issue with the V3.  I can't imagine that SD would put out a producet without the most current specs.  I know the UA-5 had this problem, but it is old technology and a discontinued product. 

Yep, that's my thought as well.  The V3 and UA-5 were designed before the relevant 24bit spdif spec was finalized, so they didn't meet its requirements.  The D50 isn't finicky per se about its incoming optical signal, it just requires it meets the current spdif standard.  I'd imagine that SD would design a new product to comply with a standard that is now several years old, and the D50 would work fine with it.

Between being a good digital front end for my D50 and being a good digital front end for the digi channels of my 680, this new SD box really has me thinking.  :hmmm:
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
I know this is the wrong thread to ask this question but since it is pertinent...The only small recorders I can think of that can take advantage of the 24/96 digital signal are the D50 and the Microtrack. Is that it? I think I'm gonna get the USBPre 2 if I can find something else other than those 2 recorders.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
661 but nothing else in the hand held price range

I know this is the wrong thread to ask this question but since it is pertinent...The only small recorders I can think of that can take advantage of the 24/96 digital signal are the D50 and the Microtrack. Is that it? I think I'm gonna get the USBPre 2 if I can find something else other than those 2 recorders.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »

I ran the original USBPre for a few years and I loved it. It's built like a tank and a breeze to use. Let me know if you scoop one up!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »

http://www.sonosax.ch/recorders/minir82/minir82_index.html
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »

D'oh! Let's be reasonable here, lol.  :P

I should have added the *affordable* tag to my question also. But you're right that does fit the bill.

kirk97132

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »

Outa town till Sat

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
I think if you have that you wont need a $650 external preamp/AD you can just run mic-in with that thing.

D'oh! Let's be reasonable here, lol.  :P

I should have added the *affordable* tag to my question also. But you're right that does fit the bill.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
Actually, I also went and ordered one and they called me back saying the actual price is $649.99 so they say they'll charge my credit card $649.99. You should call them cuz they will actually charge you 100 more. If you ordered online they will charge your card STRAIGHT away and you have to wait for a month. So you can cancel your order if you want.

I contacted SD about the preamp and AD if it was the same as the 7 series recorder and they replied to me as follows:

"The A/D converter in the USBPre 2 is the exact same part we use in the 7-Series recorders. The converter is really a stage after the preamplifier. The preamplifier itself is very similar to the 7-Series, but with modifications to accommodate for different powering requirements."

They used the favorable AD converter (which we all love) from the 7 series recorder. I'm curious if the preamp will sound better than the 7 series recorder as a standalone.

I also asked them if it was possible to link 2 or more together they replied:

"The USBPre 2, like the original USBPre, has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. There is no method for inserting signal into the stereo bus besides using the main inputs. So linking multiple units is not possible. It is definitely possible to hook up multiple units to a single computer, however most applications are only able to address one device for input and one device for playback, so it would not allow the use of more than 2 inputs even if more than one USBPre 2 were connected. It would be possible to use more than one USBPre 2 as a signal converter for more than 2 channels. So if 3 USBPre 2 units were powered, you would have 6 analog (mic/line) or digital inputs that could be output balanced analog, unbalanced analog, coaxial S/PDIF, and optical TOSLINK."

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:57:35 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com