Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130094 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
dadeo, have you tried using asio4all?

not sure how well it would work, but might be good enough to tide you over till SD's own asio?
So Sad.

I can see it being a disappointment to you.  And maybe even more so due to the fact it was presented to you as being able to fulfill your specific needs.    It seems as if this units has been focused at the recording side of the fence not the playback.  And in that respect it is far from a sad day for the USBPre2.  I for one am thrilled to see a unit at this price point with the feature set it has.   But, I am planning on using it for recording and not for playback of any kind.  In fact I doubt if my unit will ever be hooked up to a computer.   I see it as a combination of the MP-2/mixpre, the USBPre 1.5 and a unit that supplies a digital output.  And at that it hit the nail on the head supplying a quality unit at a great price.  Nothing sad about that.   Sorry that it is not working out for you.  Aren't there soundcards that will give you the resolutions you want?  What were you using before this for a portable unit?

Offline dadeo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
dadeo, have you tried using asio4all?

not sure how well it would work, but might be good enough to tide you over till SD's own asio?
So Sad.

I can see it being a disappointment to you.  And maybe even more so due to the fact it was presented to you as being able to fulfill your specific needs.    It seems as if this units has been focused at the recording side of the fence not the playback.  And in that respect it is far from a sad day for the USBPre2.  I for one am thrilled to see a unit at this price point with the feature set it has.   But, I am planning on using it for recording and not for playback of any kind.  In fact I doubt if my unit will ever be hooked up to a computer.   I see it as a combination of the MP-2/mixpre, the USBPre 1.5 and a unit that supplies a digital output.  And at that it hit the nail on the head supplying a quality unit at a great price.  Nothing sad about that.   Sorry that it is not working out for you.  Aren't there soundcards that will give you the resolutions you want?  What were you using before this for a portable unit?

The problem with not doing High Rez also applies to the recording side also using the USB. For recording I have a SD 722. As a stand alone Mic Pre and A/D, D/A it is great. I explain what is my purpose a few posts earlier. I'm sure with time this will all be solved by SD. It is not like them to stumble out of the gate. They are a class act all the way.

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »
dadeo, thats odd that you get that with asio4all as well.

playback problems aside,... any initial impressions about how the preamps sound compared to your 722?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
Terri,

The problem with dropping voltage from 12v to 5v using a common voltage regulator will be heat. 

circd (only because you misspelled my name  ;D),

I found this, that may alleviate the heat issue...  http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/elite_180.html

I've cut the car-plug off these kind of things before and installed a 4-pin XLR for use with an SLA...  I'm sure with a little more digging and work, something could be worked out... 

And since this is a pure-sine wav adapter, you could run your tube mic off the ac outlet and the usb pre 2 off the usb, all off a 12vdc source???  Hawt!!!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2010, 04:51:18 AM »
Bob stated that the MAC can do High-Rez as is, no driver needed.

If you need a stopgap, just borrow or buy a Mac in the meantime then... Functional Intel Macbooks can be had for $400 used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390259175297

Or if you're willing to experiment, Hackintosh your netbook and install OSX. Most models are compatible:
http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2010, 11:42:48 AM »
Just got my box in.  Issue alert: the User Guide has a diagram for the dip-switch settings for various sample rates in the stand-alone mode.  These disagree with the settings printed on the bottom of the device.  The manual pages are incorrect according to SD.  The manual was for revision 1 and not the shipped version.

Jeff

kirk97132

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »
Yep just arrived...... Fresh outa the box.  Here are some pix alongside an MP-2.   Initial report, no power switch.  That kinda surprised me but I guess with usb that makes sense.   The Second report is the adapter box I made works perfectly.  Powers up the MP-2 and the USBPre2 just fine, no heat issues with the voltage regulator.  Be happy to make one for ya or help you make one, just get in touch.  Can't wait to run it now!

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »
Nice!  It is much smaller than I expected. 

Yep just arrived...... Fresh outa the box.  Here are some pix alongside an MP-2.   Initial report, no power switch.  That kinda surprised me but I guess with usb that makes sense.   The Second report is the adapter box I made works perfectly.  Powers up the MP-2 and the USBPre2 just fine, no heat issues with the voltage regulator.  Be happy to make one for ya or help you make one, just get in touch.  Can't wait to run it now!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

For real! Looks like it would fit nicely in my bag. Although seeing it pictured next to the MP-2 makes me kinda sad....doesn't matter though since I can not afford one.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »
I can't afford one either, but I'm tempted to sell my MP2 and littlebox to fund the purchase!!  I think I'll wait to see how field testing goes.

For real! Looks like it would fit nicely in my bag. Although seeing it pictured next to the MP-2 makes me kinda sad....doesn't matter though since I can not afford one.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

kirk97132

« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I can't afford one either, but I'm tempted to sell my MP2 and littlebox to fund the purchase!!  I think I'll wait to see how field testing goes.

wow I dunno if I would give those up for this.  I needed a pre with coax output so it replaced my UA-5. 

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
oh that's a nice looking setup kirkd!

how does the unit sound?

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
Get my box last night and played around with it for awhile.  Wasn't able to lock onto a coax out signal from it yesterday.   I adjusted the sample rate settings but am unsure of how to set bit rate for stand-alone mode.  Anyone know how or if you can set bit rate?
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
Oh and the line in appears to have more headroom so I'll be making a set of xlr > 1/4 for when I run my sonosax infront of the USBpre2.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

kirk97132

« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »
Get my box last night and played around with it for awhile.  Wasn't able to lock onto a coax out signal from it yesterday.   I adjusted the sample rate settings but am unsure of how to set bit rate for stand-alone mode.  Anyone know how or if you can set bit rate?

No setting for bit rates.   I can't get my 680 to lock on a spdif signal.  Calling SD now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com