Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130093 times)

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »
My 680 is very particular with various digi inputs. My microtrack takes everything I've thrown at it.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
I am currently testing my USBPre 2 in stand-alone mode with a Sonosax MiniR82.  With the dip switches set as printed on the machine (NOT as in the manual) the Sonosax is correctly locking on a 96kH 24 bit signal from the USBPre 2  I am using Navaton MKE400 mics, which are rated to draw 10ma, which is the max the USBPre 2 is rated for phantom.  I am powering with a Cinch 4000 mAh USB power supply (5 oz) to see if I need to upgrade to a larger power supply or whether a small one will carry this ok.

Jeff

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Ugh. 

Bad News:  I can't get my R44 to lock onto anything (USBPre 2, soundcard outs, squeezebox outs) now.  Maybe it's my R44 as the trouble child.

Good News: The USBPre 2 locks onto my soundcard, squeezebox and R44. 

I haven't used the digital in on my R44 for over a year.  Maybe my digital in on the R44 is damanged.  Lent out the unit a few times but never heard of any issues.  I will have access to another R44 tomorrow and I will test sending signal between them (R44 to R44) and then USBPre 2 to the other R44.  Tonight I will try sending digital signal to my soundcard from the USBPre 2.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound Devices, LLC Support
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
We haven't had any other reports of issues with the S/PDIF output from the USBPre 2 to other gear yet and we're investigating the way the DR680 senses sample rate. Good to hear you got signal from the USBPre 2 into your computer, Brian (Well it's good for me at least. Maybe not so much for you). The test of running the USBPre 2 into another R-44 should help shed more light on the situation. Let me know.

Just to let you guys know: We're actively investigating these specific issues right now. We're making some headway and we'll have some information in the near future.
Sound Devices, LLC Support

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
I am currently testing my USBPre 2 in stand-alone mode with a Sonosax MiniR82.  With the dip switches set as printed on the machine (NOT as in the manual) the Sonosax is correctly locking on a 96kH 24 bit signal from the USBPre 2  I am using Navaton MKE400 mics, which are rated to draw 10ma, which is the max the USBPre 2 is rated for phantom.  I am powering with a Cinch 4000 mAh USB power supply (5 oz) to see if I need to upgrade to a larger power supply or whether a small one will carry this ok.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Do you still have a SONY D50? I would be interested to know how the USBPre 2 connects digitally with it.

Thanks,

Phillip
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Do you still have a SONY D50? I would be interested to know how the USBPre 2 connects digitally with it.

I know you aren't asking me, but I can say that the PCM-D50 that we have here in the support office doesn't have any problem receiving optical signal from the USBPre 2. I was just testing that for another user yesterday.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

I know you aren't asking me, but I can say that the PCM-D50 that we have here in the support office doesn't have any problem receiving optical signal from the USBPre 2. I was just testing that for another user yesterday.

Thanks, Nic. This info from any source is much appreciated!

Phillip
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2010, 02:02:42 PM »
I tried this while still testing the Sonosax, since the toslink output is also active.  My D50 does show a digital signal  in, but it says it is getting a 44.1/16 bit signal.  The clock, however, is running way fast, so I assume it is recording a higher sample rate with the wrong flag.  The Core Sound Mic 24/96 had the same issue with the Sony, took them forever to "fix" it, also the V3 years ago (they fixed it very fast!). 

Jeff

kirk97132

« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »
Nic and SD peeps are all over this issue.  Talk about customer service. 

Meanwhile I did run the updates to the firmware on the DR-680 and still get the same issue.  I did speak with Tascam/Teac tech support and they are sure it is not something "wrong" with the 680.  With out muddying the waters here with 680 talk, I've shared what I learned from Tascam with Nic and his crew so now we just wait and see.   There is also a possibility that "maybe" some future firmware for the 680 could make it more compatible reading all types of digital inputs.  But I gotta say Tech support made that "maybe" sound far off and unlikely. 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2010, 03:08:15 PM »
I tried this while still testing the Sonosax, since the toslink output is also active.  My D50 does show a digital signal  in, but it says it is getting a 44.1/16 bit signal.  The clock, however, is running way fast, so I assume it is recording a higher sample rate with the wrong flag.  The Core Sound Mic 24/96 had the same issue with the Sony, took them forever to "fix" it, also the V3 years ago (they fixed it very fast!). 

Jeff

When you play back the D50 file, does it show as 24/96 on the D50 display?

Phillip

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
No, the D50 display shows 44.1/16 both when recording the input and when playing it back.  However, the playback makes me sound like a drugged hyper-basso, it is clearly recording a 96kH signal and playing it back as if it were 44.1kH, I have no clue why the 16 bit truncation (if it is that).

Jeff

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
No, the D50 display shows 44.1/16 both when recording the input and when playing it back.  However, the playback makes me sound like a drugged hyper-basso, it is clearly recording a 96kH signal and playing it back as if it were 44.1kH, I have no clue why the 16 bit truncation (if it is that).

I just confirmed this too. When I tested it yesterday, I was testing with the USBPre 2 set to 44.1k, so I didn't notice the issue (didn't consider the significance of the fact that the D50 was showing 16 bits as opposed to the 24 bits that the USBPre always outputs). Good news is that this is the same basic behavior as the DR-680. I'll have something more informative (and likely good) to say in the next few days, I promise.

kirk97132

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Can't wait.   I would have never expected a company the size of SD to provide so much support to their customers.  Before and after the release ;D

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
didnt someone say something a few pages back about the manual and the back being off (i.e. one was wrong)

since you said it locks when the usbpre2 is at 44 and the deck is at 48 and vice versa. could it be that the labels on the usbpre 2 could be wrong? I.E. when you think the dip switch is at 44 it is at actually at 48?

just a thought...
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

kirk97132

« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »
The settings printed on the unit are the correct settings.  The other thing I can confirm is that the 680 would not lock at settings of 44.1...96...192  I did not try any other, well except for the 48 setting which gave me the weird results.   I had though the same thing....maybe the settings were reversed, or maybe the arrows got printed upside down.  I tried them all. 

I'm sure that SD after hearing if this stuff is working on a solution.   My manual is different compared to the printed settings on the unit.  The misprint in the manual is they missed 172.4 and then then put an 8 settings when in reality there is not one. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com