Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130102 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
I wonder how the DAC stage in this sounds compared to other mid-upper level DACs (I'm considering dual usage, both recording, and in conjunction with my m901). Has anyone tried using it's headphone output as an audio interface via either spdif/toslink and not usb (so just feeding it 5v with the usb connection and not an audio signal from a PC)?

it's a rather versatile little device all things considered.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
I wonder how the DAC stage in this sounds compared to other mid-upper level DACs (I'm considering dual usage, both recording, and in conjunction with my m901). Has anyone tried using it's headphone output as an audio interface via either spdif/toslink and not usb (so just feeding it 5v with the usb connection and not an audio signal from a PC)?

Grayson, You thinking of using one of these into a little bit bucket linked with your 722 so you can go 4 channel?
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
I had previously reported issues getting the USBPre 2 to work with my Edirol R44.   Found out the issue was entirely on the R44 side.   I've tested my USBPre 2 with another R44 with no issues.

My R44 is on its way back home from Edirol getting the coax in fixed.   During hardware testing they found nothing wrong.   During software diagnostic testing they found a glitch that killed to coax in.   Reflashed via diagnostic testing and it's back up and running.   Glad I didn't break it but was very weird.  1st time the tech had seen that issue.   

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:59 PM »

Grayson, You thinking of using one of these into a little bit bucket linked with your 722 so you can go 4 channel?

Bingo.

I thought about the 744, but I would have to get an absolutely awesome deal on one to do 4ch in a single box anymore. I've encountered enough situations where having 2 boxes running separately was more of a benefit that gives me pause in considering a single box option, but it doesn't happen frequently enough to go out of my way for and just get another 722. I'll keep my 722 as the go-to machine and use the usbpre2 when I need it and just link the clocks (or not, depending on what the situation presents). If I can use it with for playback with the m901 (or in place of) then it becomes much more appealing.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »
USB POWER!   Finished.  Takes power from 9 volt DVD battery.  Steps it down from 9 volts to 5 volts on the USB plug.  Has pass thru 9 volts.  This set up would allow me to power my MP-2 and the USBPre2 at the same time.  For this one I decided to forgo a polarity switch and the hot swap.  Mostly because I don't really need them.  The SD preamps don't draw a lot of power and I expect to get over 5 hour run times with both units on a single battery.   I already have a battery cord for Edirol units and I have a hot swap set up for my 680. 

Considering I had extra battery cable parts and I happen to have a few of them fancy gold strain reliefs too, my cash outlay was pretty low.  Probably about $12-15, plus my time.  To build it completely from scratch including cable you could probably do it for under $30.  It could also be done with plugs so that you could just stick it inline of your normal battery setup but the plugs run around $3 or $4 each.  There is still lots of room it you wanted to get fancy and includ on/off switch or polarity switch.  You could even put an led to show it's working if you wanted. 

First picture is finished and installed, A quick DOH! moment as I realized I miswired the pass thru.  Luckly an easy fix.  A look of the unit with CORRECT pass thru.  Then some hot glue to secure everything.  And the finished product.
Put a heatsink on the regulator if you are going to draw more than a few hundred milliamps.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »

Bingo.

I thought about the 744, but I would have to get an absolutely awesome deal on one to do 4ch in a single box anymore. I've encountered enough situations where having 2 boxes running separately was more of a benefit that gives me pause in considering a single box option, but it doesn't happen frequently enough to go out of my way for and just get another 722. I'll keep my 722 as the go-to machine and use the usbpre2 when I need it and just link the clocks (or not, depending on what the situation presents). If I can use it with for playback with the m901 (or in place of) then it becomes much more appealing.

The Toslink out gives you more options on a small bit bucket to use. I think I would go for the little Sony as a bit bucket if I was building a rig based on this new USBPre2, if anything for the size.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
USB POWER!   Finished.  Takes power from 9 volt DVD battery.  Steps it down from 9 volts to 5 volts on the USB plug.  Has pass thru 9 volts.  This set up would allow me to power my MP-2 and the USBPre2 at the same time.  For this one I decided to forgo a polarity switch and the hot swap.  Mostly because I don't really need them.  The SD preamps don't draw a lot of power and I expect to get over 5 hour run times with both units on a single battery.   I already have a battery cord for Edirol units and I have a hot swap set up for my 680. 

Considering I had extra battery cable parts and I happen to have a few of them fancy gold strain reliefs too, my cash outlay was pretty low.  Probably about $12-15, plus my time.  To build it completely from scratch including cable you could probably do it for under $30.  It could also be done with plugs so that you could just stick it inline of your normal battery setup but the plugs run around $3 or $4 each.  There is still lots of room it you wanted to get fancy and includ on/off switch or polarity switch.  You could even put an led to show it's working if you wanted. 

First picture is finished and installed, A quick DOH! moment as I realized I miswired the pass thru.  Luckly an easy fix.  A look of the unit with CORRECT pass thru.  Then some hot glue to secure everything.  And the finished product.
Put a heatsink on the regulator if you are going to draw more than a few hundred milliamps.

Richard

Yes the Regulator will have a heatsink on it, and a fairly substantial one too.  I learned that lesson trying to build the 18 to 12 volt step down.   I could not believe how much heat one of those little buggers could generate. 

kirk97132

« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
I finally had the chance to go out and run the pre!  I'm pulling the files onto the puter as we speak.  Recorded a three piece rock and roll band at a small bar.  Not super loud but I had to run the 15db pads on the preamp.  That kinda surprised me.  I also set it up to record via the spdif and analog xlr into my 680.  I'm very curious as if there is a difference in sound but I guess that is really for the 680 thread.  Initial impression very easy to use.  Ran the voltage regulator box for powering the USBPre2 & the DR-680 at the same time.  After about two hours there was still two lights on the dvd battery by the end of set break there was one light on.  So at that point I switched.  So it was about a 2.5 hour run time on one battery powering both units.  Not too bad considering it was two units draining it.  I am considering running the limiter next time, has anyone tried that yet?  The pre seems to have a fairly hot output too like the MP-2.   In hindsight I wish I had run the MP-2 for a set just to compare them.  Stay tuned for updates

I'll post some straight up mic samples with spdif/xlr.  The mics were at stage lip, about 7-8 feet from amps and drums.  I ran Toa KY's ORTF 22cm ~2.5' high. 

kirk97132

« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
SOUND SAMPLE....ok lets hear what you got to say......................

here is the sample.  I picked a piece that has no vocals so it is just what the mics are picking up.  The mics were at stage lip, about 7-8 feet from amps and drums.  I ran Toa KY's ORTF 22cm ~2.5' high.  It's a small file so it will load up easily.  it contains both Spdif and XLR inputs.  see if you can tell which is which.  And there are more than two pieces to it.  The Spdif input is via a Zaolla silverline coax and the XLR input is via my own custom chopped down switchcraft gold xlr's with Gepco Bittree DPC AES/EBU 110 ohm cable.  I only adjusted levels to make them even, no normalization or anything else.   Let us know how many pieces you think there are and which is which.   I'll post the results below between the quotation marks, but in white text so you will need to change the text color to read it or just highlight it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jdf9wb

" the first ten seconds are digi input the second ten seconds are analog input and the rest is digi input.  "
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:26:36 PM by kirkd »

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
Ran some comparisons between the a/d's of my R44 and USBPre 2 while being fed from my Sonosax SX-M2.   The USBPre 2 in my ears was a definite improvement over the R44.   In comparison, the lowend of the R44 seemed smeared and the decay of the cymbal hits was non-existent.   Another item of note, when running line-in (via the 1/4) the USBPre 2 knobs needed to be at 12:00 for unity.  Makes it very easy to know where they should be set.   So running line-in, you can attenuate the signal (15 dbs or so) and also apply gain (15 dbs or so). 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »
Ran some comparisons between the a/d's of my R44 and USBPre 2 while being fed from my Sonosax SX-M2.   The USBPre 2 in my ears was a definite improvement over the R44.   In comparison, the lowend of the R44 seemed smeared and the decay of the cymbal hits was non-existent.   Another item of note, when running line-in (via the 1/4) the USBPre 2 knobs needed to be at 12:00 for unity.  Makes it very easy to know where they should be set.   So running line-in, you can attenuate the signal (15 dbs or so) and also apply gain (15 dbs or so).

Have a comparative sample of the same content from both ADCs?

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »

Just fooling around taping my stereo.   After XMas Jam I'll have a bunch of comps.  Played around with my xlr splitter cables, they will make further comps very easy.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »

Just fooling around taping my stereo.   After XMas Jam I'll have a bunch of comps.  Played around with my xlr splitter cables, they will make further comps very easy.

gotcha, I couldn't remember when the jam was. Thanks!

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
this looks like a nice piece of equipment.  I was thinking of using such a unit with my MAC computer when i am mixing movies and need to put in commentary or other voice over work. For example, in my little world when making videos ( instructional and educational), I most often will use voice overs and commentary to already existing footage that i have shot in HD.
My charity at    themovementschool.org   which is also one of my links under my username is what I do. And so putting out videos and instructions, usually need additional voice work and was wondering if this pre is would be a good choice?
I have been using various mics like the rode NTG-2 and the shure sm7 for voice overs and just plugging mic into my sonosax>1/8 into MAC, but i am not in love with the quality. thanks again

Does anyone feel that this device would suite my needs?

please advise

thank you

Offline tracker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »
it sounds like it would suit your needs well, i too will be using it primarily for spoken word.

i know some voice over people that used the 1.5 for voice over work, and a couple of people on a voice actor's forum have expressed an interest as well.... plus i've heard people say SD's pre's are pretty damn decent for voice work.

i wouldnt know though as i have yet to hear SD pres,... although i guess i've probably heard them all over on tv and film.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com