Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130094 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2011, 03:26:03 AM »
Sound Devices say the preamp is not "exactly" the same because one runs on lower voltage than the other - but VERY similar. But the AD is exactly the same.

WOWZA! Then this new USBPre2 is going to be a HOT ITEM for people wanting the 7xx sound but w/ out shelling out BIG CASH!!!! I'd buy a USBPre2 and a small/cheap 24-bit bucket and be SET!!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
Sound Devices say the preamp is not "exactly" the same because one runs on lower voltage than the other - but VERY similar. But the AD is exactly the same.

WOWZA! Then this new USBPre2 is going to be a HOT ITEM for people wanting the 7xx sound but w/ out shelling out BIG CASH!!!! I'd buy a USBPre2 and a small/cheap 24-bit bucket and be SET!!!!

yeah, for our field uses it looks like a great little box, especially since you can gang one onto your 7xx and go 4 ch with it via spdif synching.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Last night I ran a comp between the USBPre 2 a/d and Edirol R44 a/d by splitting the signal coming from my DPA 4023 > Sonosax SX/M2.   I'd like to share but would prefer to know in what form folks would like the files. 

I'd like to stick with 24/48 files as it would eliminate the effects of dither and resample to 16/44.   Do you guys prefer a single wave where the source switches at an interval (20 seconds, 1 minute, etc) or would you guys prefer separate tracks for the two sources?   

FYi: My next time out, I will do a comp of my Sonosax pre-amp vs the USBPre 2 preamp. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
Last night I ran a comp between the USBPre 2 a/d and Edirol R44 a/d by splitting the signal coming from my DPA 4023 > Sonosax SX/M2.   I'd like to share but would prefer to know in what form folks would like the files. 

I'd like to stick with 24/48 files as it would eliminate the effects of dither and resample to 16/44.   Do you guys prefer a single wave where the source switches at an interval (20 seconds, 1 minute, etc) or would you guys prefer separate tracks for the two sources?   

FYi: My next time out, I will do a comp of my Sonosax pre-amp vs the USBPre 2 preamp.

Especially if they are on the same clock, that way we can switch back and forth on our own and check. In audacity, it's really easy to set it up to do instant switches for comparison. Thanks!
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
You don't need to split the signal just run the digi and analog out of the USBPre2.  The pre will do the splitting for you ;D

When I did a comp of the DR-680 and USBPre2 A/D sections I did it as a blind test with different sections spliced together.   I could not hear a difference between the two units. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:31:21 PM by kirkd »

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
You don't need to split the signal just run the digi and analog out of the USBPre2.  The pre will do the splitting for you ;D

But then I'd be allowing the USBPre 2 to "color" the signal on the analog out.   Not a true comparison.

kirk97132

« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
Maybe I'm confused but if you run signal into the ISBPre2 aren't you going through the preamps anyway?  I don't have the flow chart in front of me but I believe it hits the preamps then goes to the A/D section on both analog(rca) and mic(xlr) inputs.

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
Maybe I'm confused but if you run signal into the ISBPre2 aren't you going through the preamps anyway?  I don't have the flow chart in front of me but I believe it hits the preamps then goes to the A/D section on both analog(rca) and mic(xlr) inputs.

I agree.   That's why I wanted to split the signal before hitting the USBPRe 2 so that I would negate the effects of the preamps on the signal coming from my Sonosax.   I wanted to compare whether having the USBPre 2 as a line-level a/d converter makes a more pleasing recording to my ear when compared to not using it at all. 

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Here's the folder for the gear comp.  Note that the files are 24/48 flacs. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?z8tc0fyvy2lb3

Details of the text file I included:

"Here's my comp of the USBPre 2 a/d vs the R44 a/d.

Source file is from the 01/14/2011 Railroad Earth concert at The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC.  The song is Walk Beside Me. 
I ran a cable splitting the signal from my DPA 4023 (5' LOC at FOH, 8' up, DIN) > Sonosax SX-M2 source to both the USBPre 2 and R44.   
Both a/ds were set to unity gain on the R44 (+4db on outer ring, 12:00 on inner ring) and USBPre 2 (line in via 1/4TS, 12:00 on gain).
Post processing was only adding gain till the Average RMS Power of each channel was -16.50 dB.
I will post the sources in a few days but feel free to PM or email me for the results.

Brian Hadella
bhadella@yahoo.com
01/15/2011"

Offline Fitz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
Newbie question:
Rather then creating a new topic I would like to ask the respondants of this thread;

"If you had $650 to spend on a preamp would you choose a used Grace Design V2 or a new Sound Devices USBPre 2?"

Neumann SKM184 > preamp > Sony PCM-D50

All opinions welcome.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2011, 03:25:41 AM »
Interesting question. The obvious advantage of the USBPre2 is built in ADC, allowing you to go optical-in on the D50. In your case, this might be moot since the Sony AD is supposed to be good anyway, but that makes your rig more future proof in case you'll upgrade to another recorder with digital input later on.
Another advantage is factory warranty if you buy new gear.

I haven't read all the feedback on the USBPre2 yet, is it able to power even the most power-hungry mics on a 5V USB battery? Powering on the V2 is suppposed to be more flexible, with adjustable voltage requirements.

The USBPre2 has a slightly smaller footprint, but it shouldn't make a difference running open.

I guess it boils down to the sound flavor in the end. I haven't heard enough of either pre to determine the differences. I leave this to more experienced users.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Newbie question:
Rather then creating a new topic I would like to ask the respondants of this thread;

"If you had $650 to spend on a preamp would you choose a used Grace Design V2 or a new Sound Devices USBPre 2?"

Neumann SKM184 > preamp > Sony PCM-D50

All opinions welcome.

I'd personally get the usbpre2 for the following reasons:

- bigger feature set that meets my needs/interests more than just an analog pre-amp. (digi out, plus ability to operate as a soundcard when not taping)
- I'm happy with SD pre-amps and ADCs.
- I already have a tekkeon battery which provides power for something and usb power (that I trust to work) where as I'd need a new battery to provide the 6v that the V2 needs.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Up front I'd say you probably should have started a new topic on this.  I'm thinking that people seeing your post have read through 18 pages of posts about the USBPre, meaning those of us reading your post are probably pretty interested in the USBPre (survey selection bias).

That said, I've run a Grace Lunatec preamp for something like 6 years.  Faced with wanting to get rid of my PSP2 and get a preamp+AD to feed the digital channels of my 680, I ended up getting a Lunatec V3, even though it costs more than a USBPre (and V2).

Whether to choose a V2 over USBPre, tough call, depends what you want.  The D50 has a nice analog input stage, but still it is nice to use the digital input.  So functionally, the USBPre has more, so the question comes down to what preamp sound/flavor you like.

The USBPre supposedly has an analog gain stage (preamp) very similar to the 702/722, and the ADC is supposed to be exactly the same.  I owned a V3 and 702/722 for a pretty good while, and have used that combo or mics straight into the 702/722 quite a bit.  Though the 702 preamp is definitely good, I always preferred the Lunatec preamp.

So for me, I think I will like the Lunatec preamp sound better than the USBPre sound.  On that basis, I would probably chose the V2 over the USBPre.  Its only the added digital out functionality of the USBPre that makes me lean towards it.  To get that added functionality, I actually went with the Lunatec V3 over the USBPre, even though it was more expensive.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »
Up front I'd say you probably should have started a new topic on this.  I'm thinking that people seeing your post have read through 18 pages of posts about the USBPre, meaning those of us reading your post are probably pretty interested in the USBPre (survey selection bias).

very valid point, and I agree.

Its only the added digital out functionality of the USBPre that makes me lean towards it.  To get that added functionality, I actually went with the Lunatec V3 over the USBPre, even though it was more expensive.

The only other function I can see worth mentioning is the syncing ability.  You can clock a usbpre2 against anything that will send a spdif signal, the V2 leaves you with mixing in post and doing the stretch/math. It's sort of a specialized function, and I don't know how often Fitz would use it.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
Yes, I should have made clear -- I went through what mattered to me in my decision-making, not the "selling" points of a USBPre overall.  It really looks to be a very nice piece of gear with a lot of cool functionality.  That clock sync is one of them!  Someone around here was using that feature to clock sync two DR680's for 16ch recording -- far more than I ever need, but very cool nevertheless.

Between the cost, size, computer hook up capability, standalone capability, clock syncing, digital out (coax and optical), analog out, low power draw, etc, the USBPre has a lot going for it.  I almost got one just because I'm a gear slut and wanted to try it out, but I just couldn't keep myself from returning to Grace pre's.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com