Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 130100 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
on custom inear monitors, there is a click/pop when unplugging and plugging in but its not that stupidly loud unlike my previous ultralite.

this was with no mics plugged in.

plugging in the power (so powering on) or plugging in the IEMs?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
sorry,... ::)

plugging in and unplugging the usb cable so powering up and down.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
sorry,... ::)

plugging in and unplugging the usb cable so powering up and down.

ah, thanks for the clarification! My 901 has a stupidly loud power off pop if it's locked onto a digital signal or in analog mod (digi-mod without a lock yields silence...)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »
Anyone actually tried it with the Tascam 680 which I believe has a spdif input for tracks 7 and 8?

Between that and Bushman modding the Tascam unit - it is very tempting.

Best,
AB

There is a comp between the DR680 and usbpre2 but I cannot locate it. I believe it was done by Kirkd. Maybe you can find it. ;)

However, there is also this comp between the usbpre2 & the r44 which also has digi inputs:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=142208.0
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »
Anyone actually tried it with the Tascam 680 which I believe has a spdif input for tracks 7 and 8?

Between that and Bushman modding the Tascam unit - it is very tempting.

Best,
AB

There is a comp between the DR680 and usbpre2 but I cannot locate it. I believe it was done by Kirkd. Maybe you can find it. ;)

However, there is also this comp between the usbpre2 & the r44 which also has digi inputs:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=142208.0

I know what your talking about with Kirk's, and I can't locate it either, but the difference was that the the edirol/SD one was focused on the ADC while (I thought) Kirk's was on both pre-amp and ADC.

kirk97132

« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141206.0

This was using the SD preamps and then comparing the A/D sections of the SD VS the 680.  I guess in reality it did involve the 680 preamps to a small degree. 

I bought this unit specifically for the DR-680.  Although I would now also consider using a Tascam US-600/800 for the price.  The specs look pretty good and it can be used as a DI on channels 1 & 2.
  After doing a little more in depth reading  the Tascam US 800 is NOT something that I would want to be using.  I like the Di application but it is too computer based IMHO for field type use.But the USBPre2 is just such a solid unit with a great feature set. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:24:13 AM by kirkd »

Offline pesciolino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
do you think this guy will work for standalone power?

http://www.lenmar.com/Web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPU2400B

kirk97132

« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Yeah that should work.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
Yeah that should work.

What about this?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003XI6LZO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i5?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0FYV3BANX9DDRJWPG1VN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383571&pf_rd_i=915398

not unless there is a usb out on it. I saw a usb in, but it looks like it has a dock replacement for an out connector.

Look, the specs for what you should look for in powering this is something that will deliver 5v, 500ma, up to 1amp ("usb power" spec) and has a capacity that is at least 1500-2000mah for any decent run time. It will be easier if it has a usb out plug, but technically if you're skilled with a solder gun and want to make your own connecting cable then have at it, but if you have questions about whether a battery will work, then I don't suggest it. You're looking at around $40-60 for a decent battery which is paltry compared to the $700 you'll spend on the box.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
Yeah that should work.

What about this?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003XI6LZO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i5?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0FYV3BANX9DDRJWPG1VN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383571&pf_rd_i=915398

not unless there is a usb out on it. I saw a usb in, but it looks like it has a dock replacement for an out connector.

Look, the specs for what you should look for in powering this is something that will deliver 5v, 500ma, up to 1amp ("usb power" spec) and has a capacity that is at least 1500-2000mah for any decent run time. It will be easier if it has a usb out plug, but technically if you're skilled with a solder gun and want to make your own connecting cable then have at it, but if you have questions about whether a battery will work, then I don't suggest it. You're looking at around $40-60 for a decent battery which is paltry compared to the $700 you'll spend on the box.

Thanks for the info.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
I just completed a 3 day run of comparisons between my Sonosax SX-M2 preamp and the Sound Devices USBPre 2.   The source is Umphreys McGee recorded in three different venues using DPA 4022 mics setup DFC at FOH.  Mics were in the DIN configuration approximately 8' up.  I split the signal coming from the mics to both preamps.  Phantom power was provided by the Sonosax.  I've uploaded the 16 bit filesets to the archive where you can download them.  Gain was set to peak around -3 dbs, post processing included adding gain till both sources had the same RMS.   On the 1st and 3rd nights, I used the a/d function on the USBPre 2 in addition to the preamp.  On the 2nd night, I ran analog in to the R44 (set at unity). 

02/16/11 - The Music Farm, Charleston, SC   
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-16.usbpre2.flacf16
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-16.sax.flacf16

02/17/11 - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-17.usbpre2.flacf16
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-17.sax.flacf16

02/19/11 - The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-19.usbpre2.flacf16
http://www.archive.org/details/um2011-02-19.sax.flacf16

I'd love to get some feedback on how everyone feels the two pre-amps compare. 

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Fitz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »
I just completed a 3 day run of comparisons between my Sonosax SX-M2 preamp and the Sound Devices USBPre 2.   The source is Umphreys McGee recorded in three different venues using DPA 4022 mics setup DFC at FOH.  Mics were in the DIN configuration approximately 8' up.  I split the signal coming from the mics to both preamps.  Phantom power was provided by the Sonosax.  I've uploaded the 16 bit filesets to the archive where you can download them.  Gain was set to peak around -3 dbs, post processing included adding gain till both sources had the same RMS.   On the 1st and 3rd nights, I used the a/d function on the USBPre 2 in addition to the preamp.  On the 2nd night, I ran analog in to the R44 (set at unity). 
I'd love to get some feedback on how everyone feels the two pre-amps compare.

I listened to "Phil's Farm" from the first night in side by side comparision.  Couple thoughts. 
 - The sound on the high end seem slightly crisper with the SD USBPre2 versus the Sonsax appears to have a fuzzy or have a blurred edge at the highend (slightly muted)
 - The audiance chatter in the first 28seconds seem more prominant in Sonsax while the SD USBPre2 seems to accept the band over the audiance.. which is odd as I would think that would be a feature of the mics..

You could not go wrong with either recording.. thanks for sharing

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »
I need some help folks. I've noticed when playing back audio via usb from a mac that periodically the usbpre2 seems to drop the signal. My mac never reports a drop, but metering and any analog signal outbound drops for about 1/2 second. I've tried 2 different macs (fresh reboots) and can repeat the issue. It varies how long it takes it to occur the first time (and varies each time afterward) but it's always under 10minutes. My test on Windows XP yielded a clean test so I'm wondering if it's a specific mac version or what.

Anyway, I have a flac file which when set to looping (via audacity is the easiest way I've found) will peg the meters and peaks so it becomes easier to watch for the dropout. Is there anyone who runs OSX and has a usbpre2 that would be willing to test this on their setup for me? I've been in contact with SD's support for the better part of 10 days now and I've run out of machines/configs to test it on.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
Yes, I can help.

Is it the same flac file dropping the audio? You said for about half a second so that means it instantly comes back and continues to play? So far has this only occurred once per play or if you leave it on longer than 10 minutes looping a number of flacs it occurs again?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com