Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powering a sony vaio picturebook  (Read 3406 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
powering a sony vaio picturebook
« on: January 11, 2004, 11:04:16 AM »
Just wondering what people are using to power these suckers in the field.  It appears a standard 12 volt battery might do the job, although I think I would want something lighter.  Any thoughts?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:powering a sony vaio picturebook
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:00:30 PM »
i have a sony vaio pcg-sr17. i use 2 internal batteries. i switch em out at setbreak. never ran out of juice (knocks on wood). i got em from EBC batteries through ebay. works for me.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

DaryanLenz

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:34:44 PM »
What capacity batteries are you using?  Screen and lights all on for the entire set?  I have this tremendous fear of turning the screen off during recording for two reasons, first being that I like to see the levels periodically, as well as I am afraid some twirler just won't see it without the lights on and give it a beer bath!

D

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 05:55:45 PM »
i have 2 3.5 hr batts with the screen set to go off after 1 minute. i still check my levels periodically and as far as wooks go, defense wins championsips. btw it was you and i talking about the wmod ua5. im still not sold.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 08:41:15 PM »
What do you want to know???

Thanks

D

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 12:25:34 AM »
Sony Quad-capacity battery. I can pull close to 4 hours off one battery with the lid closed and the computer powering a USBPre.

Just FYI, I have never had a glitch from turning the screen on and off. I'll open and close it periodically during the show if I want to check the waveform (Vegas 2.0). I always set it to power management off for recording.

If anyone has an external battery solution that would provide more time I'd love to see it.  

Peace out-
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 02:11:14 AM »
i was hoping to get a bit perfect device that i could use for patching (i have no mics yet) and transferring. i thought this was the end all beat all box. but like i said still not completly sold.

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 11:28:01 AM »
I use a Quad capacity internal from Sony in my C1VN.  It'll power it for upwards of 8 hours when recording and closer to 10 when just playing around with it.  I run it with all power settings disabled and the screen on.

I believe it is a 9.6 amp hour battery, but this is coming from my memory so that could be incorrect.

Rusty

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 10:30:36 PM »
I also use the quad battery for my c1vn and haven't had any trouble running it for 4 hours.  I usually have 15-20% left by the end of the night.  I don't have any other batter suggestions right now
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 11:19:33 PM »
I was thinking about getting an extra AC wall wart and hacking the cable to attach to a battery but haven't tried it, the little power connector going into the picturebook is so little and fragile looking. Plus from memory I think the wall wart is rated at something like 14.4V!! I would be wary of underpowering the thing from a 12V.

Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 09:29:01 AM »
What capacity batteries are you using?  Screen and lights all on for the entire set?  I have this tremendous fear of turning the screen off during recording for two reasons, first being that I like to see the levels periodically, as well as I am afraid some twirler just won't see it without the lights on and give it a beer bath!

D

D,
You shouldn't have any fear of closing the lid on the pbook..  just make sure you set it to do nothing when you close the lid..  it'll SIGNIFICANTLY increase run time..  if you need to make sure all is well just keep an eye on the hard drive light, if its flashing 90 to nothin' things are going good.

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

DaryanLenz

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 10:13:52 AM »
Thanks Wes, I got the pbook yesterday then realized I didn't have a way to load the os without a cd-rom drive...doh!

D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com