Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Spark XL latency?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Nicaragua

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Spark XL latency?
« on: July 07, 2004, 09:11:39 PM »
hey, I was having some trouble awile back getting a "buffer is not filled with valid data" error.  Some people here advised me to turn up the latency.  I had the setting then at 500-something smp.   I turned it up to around 1500 smp and the last four concerts I recorded I had zero problems. 

This afternoon I was testing out the rig for the weekend and the message reappeared.  I checked and I was still at the same latency setting(1500).   I powered down, disconnected cables, then reconnected everything and started again, then I upped it to around 2000 smp. now things seem to be going smoothly. 

my question is, since the setting will go all the way up to 3000 smp, is there any reason to NOT max this out, just in case??
currently reassembling my rig due to theft by Greyhound Bus Inc employees.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Spark XL latency?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 10:13:57 PM »
I have mine as high as it'll go.  I see no reason not to...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Nicaragua

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:36:46 PM »
thanks John, thats the answer I was hoping for

I guess I really don't understand how this latency stuff works, just trying to figure out if there could be any negative consequences of using "too much"

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 01:10:29 AM »
Latency really only becomes an issue if you are trying to replay recorded tracks while recording additional tracks.
B
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Nicaragua

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 06:16:20 PM »
hmmm...any insight to the error I described above, brad?  It happened to me again recently.  Luckily I had the JB3 running as backup

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 01:17:01 PM »
What type of interface are you using?  Brand & Model? Firewire or USB?  I was having problems with a little M-Audio box I use for backing up on to my G4.  I was having a similar problem.  It was resolved when I started tweaking with the control for the box itself and not teh program I was using at the time.  Set your recording program for the least processor intensive setting you can, then start tweaking with the actual controls for your input device (mine resides in the preferences menu for my G4) and see if that helps.  Set latency to the highest you can anywhere you can set it.  Tweak, Tweak, Tweak and eventually you will figure it out.
Good Luck,
Brad
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com