Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flood damaged D-8 - can it be saved?  (Read 6968 times)

Offline joemango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Flood damaged D-8 - can it be saved?
« on: January 07, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »
I recently received a bunch of equipment free from a friend who used to tape.  The stuff had been damaged in a basement flood, and some of it works, some doesn't.   One of the pieces was a D8 which obviously was sitting in water for a day or so.  It doesn't look rusty, just a little dirty.  Do any of you recommend even trying to salvage it?  Would it be worth anything for parts?

hexyjones

Re: Flood damaged D-8 - can it be saved?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 10:06:42 AM »
I recently received a bunch of equipment free from a friend who used to tape.  The stuff had been damaged in a basement flood, and some of it works, some doesn't.   One of the pieces was a D8 which obviously was sitting in water for a day or so.  It doesn't look rusty, just a little dirty.  Do any of you recommend even trying to salvage it?  Would it be worth anything for parts?

Well - an ambitious person might disassemble it...wash it/sub-assemblies in clean water ( I know that sounds crazy) - dry it of real good - with a hair dryer - and let it sit for a day too...then reassemble and hope for the best...

but I bet it's hosed...

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:26:25 AM »
i would def give it a go.   ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 11:37:39 AM »
have you tried to power it up? i would use the ac adapter. if it powers up open it up and take a look at the heads to see if it is clear of debris, sand, grit etc.

if it doesnt power on, as i would suspenct it wouldnt, you may still be able to have pro-digital repair it, but it may cost the same as getting another used one of this board or ebay.

good luck, let us know how it turns out
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 11:44:17 AM »
have you tried to power it up? i would use the ac adapter. if it powers up open it up and take a look at the heads to see if it is clear of debris, sand, grit etc.

if it doesnt power on, as i would suspenct it wouldnt, you may still be able to have pro-digital repair it, but it may cost the same as getting another used one of this board or ebay.

I would advise strongly against turning it on until you have let it sit in an extremley dry place for at least a week...there could be moisture trapped inside...not good...those decks are pretty humidity sensitive anyway...and if it was a flood...there could be debris in the linkages...moving parts etc...

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 12:03:46 PM »
You would be much better off cleaning all the sub assemblies in an alcohol solution.  Dries faster and will also help dry out any water that was in the unit faster (bonds to it and helps evaporate it).  If its not running now, than youve got nothing to lose.  Take that sucker apart!!! :D (If you cant tell I was one of those kids that took everything apart to see how it worked.  The family radio, calculator, toys, etc)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

hexyjones

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »
You will probably find this handy...

http://www.rockpark.com/d7/

and this inparticular (disassembly instructions)

http://www.rockpark.com/d7/8_opend7.txt

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 12:14:09 PM »
You would be much better off cleaning all the sub assemblies in an alcohol solution. 

Any agressive cleaning will strip the lubrication from the mechanical parts.  Be sure to lube that thing when it's dry.

edit: not implying that alcohol is more agressive than water.  I'd use the alcohol if it was my deck.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

hexyjones

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 12:19:27 PM »
You would be much better off cleaning all the sub assemblies in an alcohol solution. 

Any agressive cleaning will strip the lubrication from the mechanical parts.  Be sure to lube that thing when it's dry.

edit: not implying that alcohol is more agressive than water.  I'd use the alcohol if it was my deck.

And some alcohols have a bit of glycerine mixed in that can leave a bit of a film...but yeah Alcohol might be ok...I might keep it off some of the circuit board...arent there resins on the boards...? (although I doubt alcohol would be a stong enough solvent to harm them)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 12:36:04 PM by corkscrew »

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 12:27:10 PM »
100% isopropyl alcohol will do the job great.  Definitely fine for use on boards.  It's mild and evaporates quickly.  Won't leave a film (That's why you use it for head cleaning on tons of tape related recording products).  Good point on the lube, thats a definite.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 08:42:38 PM »

I would advise strongly against turning it on until you have let it sit in an extremley dry place for at least a week...there could be moisture trapped inside...not good...those decks are pretty humidity sensitive anyway...and if it was a flood...there could be debris in the linkages...moving parts etc...

mine works just fine, in fla, can't get too much more humid in the summer, unless maybe origon in the winter.   ???

batts might never work again, but if it'll fire on ac you might be in luck.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

BobW

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 12:46:19 PM »

Not a good idea.
Do not power it up until disassembled, cleaned with distilled water and dried with warm air, like a hair drier.
All mechanical parts (head, tape arms, etc.) need lubrication.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 12:48:12 PM by Ohm »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 02:40:03 PM »
and FWIW< if it is moisture sensitive and such, it wont power up right and it will show a raindrop on the d-8 meaning theres topo much moisture in the deck
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 04:28:56 PM »
two words: PRO DIGITAL.

BobW

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 05:34:40 PM »
FWIW:  I can't speak *for sure* about small mechanical/electrical gear that gets inundated, but I do know that if you should ever dump a camera... perhaps only a mostly old school mehcanical one... into the water, AND... you must get it repaired... then keep it in the water that you dumped it in.  Put the whole thing in a bag-o-water, keep it that way till you line up a repair shop who will take it, then follow their instructions from there.  Worst thing you can do is try to dry it out, then try to have it fixed.  Some of the water will dry leaving behind dry grit and residue that only makes the repair worse or impractical.  Can't see it being much diferent for a D8 or it's ilk.  OTOH, if it's been wet, then dry, and now you have a free deck to play with... I see no problem trying what everyone else has suggested as the thread rolled on.  Biggest problem I'd guess I'd have would be tearing it down far enough to clean everything... then not being able to get it back together! :o  Have fun and let us know if it works.

Right idea, but distilled water may be better.
Distilled water will "sponge-up" minerals and crud and has less oxygen, reducing corrosion.
Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity, where dirty and especially salty water does.....
Get the batteries out, of course.

The drying should only be done after the cleaning.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com