Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 user questionnaire - JB3 / CD-Wave message: "File header reports a size..."  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
When opening JB3-recorded WAVs in CD-Wave, I get this message:

"File header reports a size that is different than the system reports.  Do you want to adjust the size?  (Yes to override header, No to trust header, Cancel to abort)"

Anyone else get this message regularly?  I've gotten it for a while and finally dug into it a bit.  Looks like the JB3 adds 8 bytes of "junk" at the end of the files I record on the JB3.  Turns out, in either case - selecting Yes or No - CD-Wave strips the "junk" 8 bytes out of the WAV file.  Cool Edit Pro does the same, but without presenting a message.  I suspect all other WAV editors strip the "junk" as well.

So, questions for all you JB3 users so I can get a handle on when / how frequently this occurs:

[1]  Do you encounter the same message from CD-Wave when opening in WAVs recorded onto your JB3?  [ yes | no ]
[2]  Do you record digital- or analog-in on your JB3?  [ digital | analog ]
[3]  I'm using firmware v.XXX:  [ 1.20.06 | 1.32.02 | 1.40.06 ]
[4]  I'm using CD-Wave v.X:  [ 1.82 | 1.90 | 1.91 | 1.92 | 1.93.3 | 1.94b3 ]
[5]  I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors:  [ Adobe Audition | Cool Edit Pro | Soundforge | Wavelab | Other (please list) ]

Just trying to get a handle on how widespread this issue is, etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:19:26 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Same results for both of my JB3s...

CD Wave v1.93.3

[1]Do you encounter the same message from CD-Wave when opening in WAVs recorded onto your JB3?

yes

[2]Do you record digital- or analog-in on your JB3?

digital and analog - same result

[3]I'm using firmware v.XXX:

[1.32.02]

[4]I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors:

[error seems unique to CD Wave]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:19:28 AM by corkscrew »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
Yup, thanks corkscrew - added CD-Wave version.  I'm guessing all the other WAV editors strip the junk data behind the scenes instead of presenting the message.  Curious to see how others respond.  Thanks for the input!
Roland R-05

hexyjones

might be a long shot - but - should we notate wether the digital feed is 16 or 24 bit?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
might be a long shot - but - should we notate wether the digital feed is 16 or 24 bit?

We could, but I wouldn't expect anyone to answer 24-bit since the JB3 is a 16-bit device that truncates 8 bits.  Though if people are, in fact, sending the JB3 24-bits I'm curious to hear if they encounter the same issue.  I'm guessing yes.
Roland R-05

hexyjones

We could, but I wouldn't expect anyone to answer 24-bit since the JB3 is a 16-bit device that truncates 8 bits.  Though if people are, in fact, sending the JB3 24-bits I'm curious to hear if they encounter the same issue.  I'm guessing yes.

right - the variable being the truncation of bits...some users are sending a 16 bit signal...others are feeding 24 and just living with the truncation

...could that affect the JB3s disc write routine/program...which might be expecting a natural 16 bit output...?

Does the JB3 "know" it's truncating?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
[1]  Do you encounter the same message from CD-Wave when opening in WAVs recorded onto your JB3?  [ yes | no ]

Yes.  I get it every time with both my JB3s.

Digital, though I do remember getting it the first few times running analog.

1.32 on one, 1.40 on the other.

Not sure

[5]  I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors:

I use SF5.0 and have never encountered anything or any problems.

On another note, anyone encounter channel swapping, or the pop at the beginning of every recording???

Thanks,

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

hexyjones

On another note, anyone encounter channel swapping, or the pop at the beginning of every recording???

I've heard others mention this...and it might be a bigger problem than we think...
For reference...I should get in the habit of making some sort of reference noise on one channel...

Wish I had one of those clickers...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
I've had this happen before, but can't say its happen recently.  when it happened before it wasn't constant, just sporatic.

digital, via optical mod V3

don't know for sure, cuz i'm at work.  however, i do believe i have a different version on my laptop then i do at home, but both as of late have been fine.

[5]  I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors:  [ Adobe Audition | Cool Edit Pro | Soundforge | Wavelab | Other (please list) ]
none that i've noticed.

i do get pops and clicks through out my recording tho if i don't format/disc cleanup before i go taping.  actually i don't know if thats from the cable or fromt he hdd befing full of junk, but i take better care of both of those now and haven't had a problem in quite sometime.

i've also noticed that when i pause my recording my channels on the jb3 swap, at least the levels on the screen do, never paid enuf attention to see if they do on the recording.  once i noticed it happened once, i never did it again.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Do you encounter the same message from CD-Wave when opening in WAVs recorded onto your JB3?   yes

Do you record digital- or analog-in on your JB3?   digital

I'm using firmware v.XXX: I have 2 JB3's one of each 1.32.02  1.40.06 both have same problem

I'm using CD-Wave v.X:  Not sure off top of my head

I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors:  No, I use cool edit pro, and get no error messages. It must fix the problem though, because I only see it if I open in cd wav first.

I've noticed the channel swap issue with 1.40.06. Not just when I pause, but when I stop and start a new file (like second set) Never really caught it till the Bad Plus shows I did where it was so obvious on my svu-1 that the drums were on the left not right channel.

I have a feeling the junk is the pop you get when you start the recording. I usually record 5 seconds of crowd, then pause it till the band comes on stage so I can clip it off without worry.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Never had this issue, so heres the questionnaire:

[1]  Do you encounter the same message from CD-Wave when opening in WAVs recorded onto your JB3?  [ no ] I never open with CD Wave - the file always get edited first.

[2]  Do you record digital- or analog-in on your JB3?  [ analog ]

[3]  I'm using firmware v.XXX:  [ 1.20.06 | 1.40.06 ] Both - I have two Nomads

[4]  I'm using CD-Wave v.X:  [ 1.93.3 ] - I think

[5]  I've encountered similar messages in other audio editors: N/A
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
i always get that lil click on my tapes, i simply open the wav in cdwave first, thgen i put a marker at the beginning(after the click) and the end of the set so there are no known SBE also
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member

Thanks,

Terry

I have definitely had channel swapping problems, but only after leaving the unit in pause for a period of time.  Just don't leave the unit in pause.  If you need to stop, just stop the recording completely and start over each time.  We all get the pop at the beginning of recordings, just plan for it and trim it out in post.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com