Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speakers to match amp  (Read 4871 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
speakers to match amp
« on: October 22, 2005, 06:00:07 PM »
i bought pfife's antque sound labs 1001d and have it setup.  i am using it with a set of altec lansing bookshelf speakers that sound OK, but i am looking to upgrade.

i was thinking about some paradigm atoms or esprits.  my budget is probably in the 200-500 dollar range... the cheaper the better.

the reason why i stopped thinking about the atoms is that i don't think that they are much of an upgrade from what i currently have. another factor i have to consider is that i am moving in the next 8-9 months... so that makes me a little gunshy on buying anything too big.

anyone know of any speakers in this price-range, or should i wait until i get a bunch more money and make a substantial upgrade then?

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: speakers to match amp
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:16:37 AM »
I rarely let life get in the way of my gear slutting vocation.
Those Paradigms sound nice !  Epos, Nola(Elons), some Tannoys, wow  there's a bunch that sound great.
I don't know which Altecs you have so I can't say what would be a step up.
They made a few nice speaks.

Do you have them on stands, out of the bookshelf, and away from the walls ?
Makes a HUGE differece.
You can built a set of stands out of sand, PVC pipe, threaded rod, and some wood.
If you veneer or paint the PVC, they look very cool.
Put some sorbothane between the speakers and the stands as well.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.htm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 07:26:32 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:39:11 AM »
How do I connect the speaker firmly to the stand so that someone won't accidentally knock the speaker off the stand?
This in a way that is non destructive (drilling into speaker...).

BobW

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 08:49:16 AM »
How do I connect the speaker firmly to the stand so that someone won't accidentally knock the speaker off the stand?

Actually you want to decouple the speaker from the stand.
Balance, poise, grace, and a little luck !
They're not as wobbly as you would think.
Make the base wider and center the speakers.
My old A25XLs were perched on a stand for years with no mishaps.
I did move them closer to the walls for parties and holidays !

The pictured stands have threaded rod holding the top and bottom solidly to the schedule 40 PVC tubes.
They feel like one solid piece.
The pipes are sand filled, for sonic performance and weight. (like 30 lbs each....plus the speakers)
They don't wobble, but could be a crashing fall if stumbled on.
Same danger with tower speakers.

If you use sorbothane sheets or carpet anti-skid backer, the speakers kind of "stick" to the stands.
Also the laminate floor backer can work (like Pergo's padding)

Carpet backer

Pergo has two products  SilentStep (better) and SoundBloc (thinner)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:03:53 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »
How much space do you have to work with?  Magnepan MMGs mate very well with tube amps and should be available in your price range.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
those look really nice, nick.

and there is a local dealer... i guess i will go out there and haggle with them. 

i am going to basically be running 2 systems - one for movies/TV through my old pioneer surround sound receiver and one for music through the ASL 1001... those may be the ideal way to go.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 11:32:23 PM »
How much space do you have to work with?  Magnepan MMGs mate very well with tube amps and should be available in your price range.

can his amp fire 4ohms?  not sure on that amp.

also, you NEED a sub to run with the mmgs.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »
the amp runs 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

BobW

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 08:25:48 AM »
Maggies are their own, very special animal.
Read up and ask allot of questions before making the leap !

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:28:28 AM »
I would second the recommendation of Tannoys, you can get a set of their monitors in your price range and they are fantastic sounding

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 08:51:28 AM »
Andrew, are you against getting a sub?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
not at all against getting one.  i can pick up or build a decent one pretty cheaply.  the other option for a sub would be to use my bass amp... it has a 160 watt solid state amp and an 18 aluminum cone driver... i have never turned it up past 4, as it shakes my entire house at that point.

the other option for speakers is to buy some crossovers, speakers, and hardwood... probably more work than i want to do right now though.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 01:47:09 PM »
I was wanting to get some maggies, but I was reluctant to get a sub... I ended up getting a nice sub... the cool thing about the Maggies is that you can try them out when you get them factory direct.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 07:40:53 PM »

I agree, Maggies aren't for everyone but they're definately worth looking into.  In my listening experiences the MMGs have a very detailed midrange and extended highs which mates very well with tubes.  The bass is a little on the weak side but I'm not really a bass nut so I've never felt the need to add a sub, I suppose this is more of a personal preference.

If memory serves correct MMGs are only available directly from Magnepan but they offer a 60 money back guarantee.  You could always buy a used pair of MMGs and resell them if they aren't your cup of tea.  There is a pair on Audiogon right now for $325 obo:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1135044766

That's enough fluffing, good luck with your search.   :)

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 07:05:08 AM »

Blue tak will do the trick.  There is a cheaper alternative at home depot, I just can't think of the name off the top of my head.  Vibrapods work wonders as well. 

As for speakers, the most bang for your buck wil be at av123.com, nuff said.

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 03:15:34 PM »

I agree, Maggies aren't for everyone but they're definately worth looking into.  In my listening experiences the MMGs have a very detailed midrange and extended highs which mates very well with tubes.  The bass is a little on the weak side but I'm not really a bass nut so I've never felt the need to add a sub, I suppose this is more of a personal preference.

If memory serves correct MMGs are only available directly from Magnepan but they offer a 60 money back guarantee.  You could always buy a used pair of MMGs and resell them if they aren't your cup of tea.  There is a pair on Audiogon right now for $325 obo:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1135044766

That's enough fluffing, good luck with your search.   :)

I offered him 325, shipped instead of 325+shipping.  We'll see if he goes for it!

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
well, they had already sold, so i am back looking for now.  I am just going to hold off until i get more cash together.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:12:28 PM by Andrew Pierce »

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 12:11:03 AM »
I quite like my B&W's, which fit your price range.  Amazing definiition and soundstage for the size.

Some on audiogon right now:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1135363771

AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com