Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GMINI 220 SPDIF Recording????  (Read 3653 times)

Offline paulcotto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
GMINI 220 SPDIF Recording????
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:39:03 PM »
Hello,

I just received a gmini 220 from archos today and I have some questions. I am trying to use the yellow SPDIF input to record to WAV and I cant seem to get it to work. I set the input to line-in in the record settings menu then I connect a known good 44.1 kHz SPDIF coax to the yellow connector. When I try to record nothing happens. Does the SPDIF work on the 220 or did Archos disable it? The reason I bought it is for digital recording in WAV PCM 16 bit from the SPDIF in. If that won’t work I will be returning it to ARCHOS shortly.
Thanks,
Paul Cotto

cmoorevt

Re:GMINI 220 SPDIF Recording????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 10:49:57 PM »
Paul-  This doesn't really answer your question, but there is a 20 page thread further down in this forum about digi recording on the 120 model.  It may have the answer you are seeking and is otherwise worth reading to learn about the serious problems (clicks and pops in the resulting wav file) that were found when recording to 44.1/16 wav using digi in on that model.  Best of luck and keep us informed if the 220 performs any better.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:50:50 PM by cmoorevt »

Offline paulcotto

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 11:04:14 PM »
Thanks, I read it all and it’s a different animal. The design has changed and some of the features as well. I was almost sure it has SPDIF in. It has the connector, but no menu to turn it on. I’m worried at this point....

Thanks,
Paul Cotto

I just received a gmini 220 from archos today and I have some questions. I am trying to use the yellow SPDIF input to record to WAV and I cant seem to get it to work. I set the input to line-in in the record settings menu then I connect a known good 44.1 kHz SPDIF coax to the yellow connector. When I try to record nothing happens. Does the SPDIF work on the 220 or did Archos disable it? The reason I bought it is for digital recording in WAV PCM 16 bit from the SPDIF in. If that won’t work I will be returning it to ARCHOS shortly.Paul Cotto

Paul-  This doesn't really answer your question, but there is a 20 page thread further down in this forum about digi recording on the 120 model.  It may have the answer you are seeking and is otherwise worth reading to learn about the serious problems (clicks and pops in the resulting wav file) that were found when recording to 44.1/16 wav using digi in on that model.  Best of luck and keep us informed if the 220 performs any better.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 11:30:29 PM by paulcotto »

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 10:09:22 PM »
I don't think the 220 has a S/PDIF in - while the manual for the 120 specifically mentions it, it's noticeably absent from the 200 manual. Too bad, too, because the 220 is even smaller than the 120...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Riley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 05:51:36 PM »
I think you're right.  There is no mention of s/pdif in on the 220 anywhere.  Howevre, with it's small size and line-in it would be really nice for stealth.

Riley

Offline paulcotto

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 06:35:15 PM »
On the internal drive is an Adobe pdf manual that says it has SPDIF input. I also read 3 reviews that mention SPDIF input in the specifications. I think they just turned it off since there were problems with noise. I tried the line in recording to a wav file and I get a short burst of noise about every 15~20 seconds. The other issue is my USB 2.0 card wont recognize when I plug it in, but my internal 1.1 USB finds it and installs it as a drive, then complains that I could have used a high speed USB 2.0 input. When I move it to USB 2.0 it does not recognize I have plugged anything in. I am probably going to return it or sell it on eBay. If anyone wants it I will sell for $260.00 plus shipping.
Regards,
Paul Cotto

I think you're right.  There is no mention of s/pdif in on the 220 anywhere.  Howevre, with it's small size and line-in it would be really nice for stealth.

Riley

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 07:10:16 PM »
I tried the line in recording to a wav file and I get a short burst of noise about every 15~20 seconds.

Gee, sounds like some other Archos product recently discussed....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Riley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 01:04:45 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.  I've now been through two Gmini 120's that are now apparently completely screwed.  At this point it seems like they have the right idea, but I don't really consider Archos products to be reliable enough to tape with yet.  I "accidentally" bought a JB3 off of ebay recently.  I'll see how that one works out.

Riley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com