Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY external preamp mod: Community project!  (Read 16915 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: DIY external preamp mod: Community project!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 11:22:01 PM »
17v AC transformer p48

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 04:48:45 PM »
Just for the record, I know I owe some pics to determine a little more about the opamps prior to plucking them out.  I have a new camera on the way so I will wait for that to get some better shots of the internals.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »
FWIW, if you take pics through a magnifying glass you can get really close with a regular camera.

yeah, but how does that allow me to play with a new toy?  ;D

matt

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »
I am curious.  In many of the hi-fi units I have modified, I specifically bypass opamps on purpose which tends to lower noise floor.  I take the signal directly from the signal path, skip the op-amp, and wire directly to rca or whate ver outputs I have to play with.  Is this not applicable to opamps in a pre?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 06:44:37 PM »
Typically, op-amps are used to provide gain in some microphone pre-amps. If you bypass them, there would be no gain.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 09:59:17 AM »
Thanks.  I haven't really dove into mic preamps yet, but I have a mind to modify the heck out of a mini-me in a month or so so I was curious.  Thanks again.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
You want to modify the heck out of a Mini Me??? Does it need a lot of mods to sound good??   We are talking a 60$, 4 channel pre.... here,  IT need a LOT.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »

You want to modify the heck out of a Mini Me??? Does it need a lot of mods to sound good??   We are talking a 60$, 4 channel pre.... here,  IT need a LOT.
still needs a lot!  I will take some better internal pics tonight and post.  I wish I could get my hands on a schematic... Start with the opamps and see what happens I guess.

Matt

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »

That;' a pretty subjective question, but after looking at the innards and the use of 5 cent capacitors and resistors, I would say there is a LOT of room for improvement.  opamps, capacitors, getting rid of all of the surface mount junk to start.  I HATE reading made in china... :o

Offline guitarrero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »
To anybody on this thread. I need some help modding my PR4V. Just bought mine and considering mods. Need some help with the inline 4558 chips. Any takers?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com