Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wierd sound in recording - any ideas?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
wierd sound in recording - any ideas?
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
so i am tracking out a recording and notice a wierd, rapid, sound between some of the songs.  it appears to continue through one song and stop at some point after another song.  When the music is playing (at least when its playing loud) i dont seem to notice it, but i am assuming it is still there.  I am guessing it is going on for 9 plus minutes.  It begins about halfway through the show and i dont notice anything in the quiet parts before or after.  it appears to be just on the right channel.  it is evident on my original file before adding volume, dithering, and normalizing.

i haven't done a check here at the ranch, but it will probably be my sunday activity unless some one tells me it is a cell phone/ac unit/fan or something like that.  fwiw, running akg 461>sd 722 and had no problems the night before with same setup.

the only thing i can remember about the night that was odd (and it started at the beginning of the night) was my stand was kinda vibrating/shaking... which i just attributed to the wood floors and dancing.

thanks in advance ts wizards
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: wierd sound in recording - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
I listened and have no idea...  But from the sound and the length you describe, I'd say its a cell-phone in the vicinity of your rig...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
That is what it sounds like when I get my cell too close to my car amp.

sml42

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
sounds a bit like 60Hz mains hum to me.

ground loop? (was any of your gear powered via mains or were you running off battery?)

if there was a loose connection / broken wire, your cables could act as an antenna and pick up any mains interference... just a thought

best regards,
stephen

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
A friend of mine had that exact same noise at one concert. His recording had the same buzzing sound. We were standing next to each other , both taping and using the same gear. I guess it must have been a cellphone or something like that.

I would suggest you copy and paste the left channel ( like I was telling about in another thread ). So at least you have 2 listenable channels.
You can do this analog do if you have the right cable.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
sounds a bit like 60Hz mains hum to me.

ground loop? (was any of your gear powered via mains or were you running off battery?)

if there was a loose connection / broken wire, your cables could act as an antenna and pick up any mains interference... just a thought

best regards,
stephen

Agreed, unless you were in a 50 Hz country then it sounds like 50Hz mains noise :) Were there any fluorescent lights or light dimmer switches or stage lighting rigs nearby? Was the show powered by a generator? It sounds like the broadband interference caused by electrical sparking/arcing in some equipment running at mains frequencies.

Actually I just had a detailed look at it and it is at about 47 Hz and is mainly in your right channel. There is also a stange 2.5 Hz oscillation in the same channel.

digifish
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:07:12 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »
i bet its a cell phone.  I had the same thing happen to me several years ago when I taped MMW and Holly Palmer at the Hilton Hotel in NYC.  The buzzing just kept going and going....
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com