Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New recorder (Sony D100) or singlepoint stereo mic (BP4025)  (Read 4260 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New recorder (Sony D100) or singlepoint stereo mic (BP4025)
« on: December 26, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
Hi,

In a bit of dilemma here, I have a SD mixpre6, and use a pair of oktavas (MK012) with cardioid heads, and swivels for XY and ORTF stereo recording, inside a rode blimp, or AB stereo with a pair of primo 172 omni mics clippy matched version (48v).
I usually record concerts, voices, efx, etc, always indoors, where I can set tripods and calculate distances, for that the oktavas really do the job, with some help from the omnis.

But for quiet outdoor ambiences, not urban, but really quiet stuff, I was thinking about having a second recorder, a handheld one, like the Sony D100 (because of its bulit-in microphones)
that I can always carry around with me (I usually carry in a daily basis, the SD mixpre6 with the primos 172 omnis - they have rycote furry's - but its impossible to take them out and set them quickly for recording).

The other option was to use the same recorder I always carry (mixpre6) and have a AT BP4025 singlepoint stereo, with a rycote babyball, I know its bulky, and perhaps heavy, due to its head.
Any clues? How's the BP4025 stereo image and sensivity? For outdoor use? I left Rode NT4 out, for its heavy weight and bright sound, and the shure VP88 for noisy floor, huge size and price.
Without going into Sennheizer or Schoeps territory...

Thanks in advance,
CS
Modify message
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:57:02 AM by refrain »
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline soundsvisual

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: New recorder (Sony D100) or singlepoint stereo mic (BP4025)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:05:38 AM »
I was having similar dilemma when my Sony D50 broke and appears to be unrepairable.

Tried the D100 which is very good but it's so sensitive that where I could use the D50 handheld, the D100 need to be placed or go on a tripod. So in that sense wasn't useable for me as a handheld. Bit pricey if you end up just attaching some 172s.

I use the BP4025 with an SD MixPre-3 and love that combo. I think the 4025 has a lovely sound - smooth, rich, deep, very quiet. I use it in a Rode Blimp II.

For my back pocket handheld solution I just use some Primo 172s and for now a cheap and cheerful DR-05 which is surprisingly good with those mics.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
There never send to be a shortage of Sony d50's available on ebay and seems like there's one or two for sale in the Yard Sale.  They aren't as popular as the m10 but they're still very solid and capable hand held recorders with all the features that make the m10 so desirable.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
When I read "really quiet ambiances" to me that translates to preamps with very low noise at high gain.  I don't think you're going to do any better in that regard than your MixPre.  The money you would be spending on a second recorder is better spent on different mics to suit your needs, IMO.

Why not go for a set of DPA 4060s and have Jon at Naiant build you a set of PFAs for them?  They should have many advantages for your purposes, such as tiny size, weather resistance, lower wind sensitivity, etc.  They are also outstanding for music recording.  Here are some samples where I used them on a very large ensemble:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176324.msg2189688#msg2189688
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
For a good quality handheld, you could also consider the new TASCAM DR-100mk3 which has quiet preamps and all kinds of inputs. The internal mics are not too bad either.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
For a good quality handheld, you could also consider the new TASCAM DR-100mk3 which has quiet preamps and all kinds of inputs. The internal mics are not too bad either.
I've read a lot about the new Tascam preamps, people say they're great (for that I've got the mixpre6), but the positioning and quality of the built-in mics are some how average, I've tested the markII mics, dr70d, or dr40, and I like zoom's built-ins way better... Had a D50 a couple of years ago, nice solid machine, and good built-ins.
My main interess in this kind of point-and-shoot recorder is the built-ins and small size.
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
I was having similar dilemma when my Sony D50 broke and appears to be unrepairable.

Tried the D100 which is very good but it's so sensitive that where I could use the D50 handheld, the D100 need to be placed or go on a tripod. So in that sense wasn't useable for me as a handheld. Bit pricey if you end up just attaching some 172s.

I use the BP4025 with an SD MixPre-3 and love that combo. I think the 4025 has a lovely sound - smooth, rich, deep, very quiet. I use it in a Rode Blimp II.

For my back pocket handheld solution I just use some Primo 172s and for now a cheap and cheerful DR-05 which is surprisingly good with those mics.

I can understand, still the dilemma, the Sony is quite pricey for a backpack audio recorder, but the best in all-in-one solution... with built-ins...

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »
When I read "really quiet ambiances" to me that translates to preamps with very low noise at high gain.  I don't think you're going to do any better in that regard than your MixPre.  The money you would be spending on a second recorder is better spent on different mics to suit your needs, IMO.

Why not go for a set of DPA 4060s and have Jon at Naiant build you a set of PFAs for them?  They should have many advantages for your purposes, such as tiny size, weather resistance, lower wind sensitivity, etc.  They are also outstanding for music recording.  Here are some samples where I used them on a very large ensemble:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176324.msg2189688#msg2189688

Hi Voltronic

I did sell the Dr70D (those questions a few months ago about a defected preamp on the dr70D, remember?) and went with the mixpre6 afterall, some freelance stuff, and really love it, I think what you say makes a lot of sense, keep 1 recorder and increase the mic collection, the primos for now and perhaps the AT can help for the time being... thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com