Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to use zebra pattern on Sony VX2100?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
How to use zebra pattern on Sony VX2100?
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:25:10 PM »
I just got my Sony vx2100.And i'm looking for info(i searched google and didn't find too much)on how to properly use the zebra pattern.It has 2 settings 70 ire and 100 ire.

I'm guessing that if i use 100 i'd adjust so that theres zebra stripes visible and than back off on the exposure until they just disappear.If thats wrong please advise.And how to use 70 ire and in what settings would either be used.Thanks for any info.

Offline Josh P

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How to use zebra pattern on Sony VX2100?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »
hmm, I don't have experience with that camera directly, but lots of cams have the zebra function.   From what I can gather, the zebra function is basically a guide to gage over exposure.  A general rule of thumb (which ironically was just explained to me on Monday night) is that a little zebra here and there is good, but never let it zebra on the face or forehead.  But you probably knew that already.

I don't understand why you have 2 settings for zebra or what the difference is though.

Offline jkmb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:21:21 PM »
Personally I only tend to use zebra when I am interested in specific detail on a subject that could "possibly" be overexposed.  Like words on a white sign or the detail on a white dress outside in the sun.   But when you adjust for a white dress, you may start to overexpose faces.... I use 70 on skin tone (faces) and I use 100 when the subject to expose is a non-skin tone specific object or detail.  Also when I use it, I keep it so the stripes are just barley present on the specific subject.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:55:12 PM by jkmb »

Offline kuuan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:49:12 AM »
I don't know your camera but the zebra functions show you areas of overexposure. In case you want to correct that you may manually correct exposure by closing the aperature.
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:50:35 PM »
I just got my Sony vx2100.And i'm looking for info(i searched google and didn't find too much)on how to properly use the zebra pattern.It has 2 settings 70 ire and 100 ire.

I'm guessing that if i use 100 i'd adjust so that theres zebra stripes visible and than back off on the exposure until they just disappear.If thats wrong please advise.And how to use 70 ire and in what settings would either be used.Thanks for any info.

That camera is actually pretty nice, if not getting a bit old, and is why it has the option of going 70 or 100 IRE. Basically, this is a style of use option that pro camera operators choose based on how they like to use the zebras. 100 IRE shows clipping, 70 IRE zebras highlights that are 70% towards clipping but not actually clipping. I might not have that quite right, but it's something like that.

Personally, I'd use 100 IRE so you know exactly when you are clipping (video that is). Once you've set it like that, then it depends a little how much you want to let actually clip (e.g., how much zebra showing on screen). It depends on the scene and the contrast you might be dealing with in the frame, the classic example is something that is badly backlit. You might want to blow out the background so you can get the subject up to a good exposure -- in that case, you might want a whole lot of zebra going down. That's just an extreme, but the point is, it depends on the situation. So, set to 100 IRE and just be concious of how much you let clip, if you let things clip, do it on purpose, for a reason. Make sense?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:09:03 PM »
Thanks,that helps alot.I just need to practice with it alot now.

I did a test of lowlight and the image and color are unbelieveable on this camera and is mainly why i bought it.Thanks for the help.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
I used this the other night for the first time with my Z1U. It was a concert and the only things zebra'd were the par cans. I guess that is good. I still do not really know how to use this camera. I put it on auto for the most part. White balance preset for in or outdoors depending. I rarely change the iris setting. I would love to learn more when I have time.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com