Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dat VS. Laptop  (Read 1611 times)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Dat VS. Laptop
« on: January 20, 2004, 07:14:37 PM »
Which is now the better taping method? If I go laptop (I may be getting one for graduation in May) what will I need? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Any comments welcome.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Re:Dat VS. Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 07:29:45 PM »
I would hold out at wait for the HD recorders.  You can plug your mics straight into them and record at 24/96 or 24/192 even.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/7.htm
http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/dat_dvd/fr2

If you buy a lappy, you will need at pre, a-d converter, and in some cases another interface to hook into the lappy.  
Laptop/HD will give you the higher sample rate, DAT will give you standard 16bit recordings which for many people are more than enough.

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re:Dat VS. Laptop
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 07:52:06 PM »
If I had to choose between both formats at this exact moment I would go Laptop.

I used to use a D8 and now just the laptop. I would say that the biggest disadvantage of the laptop is the size of the footprint of the rig. I have a standard 14" laptop and my case setup is a little larger than I would like when the crowd is packed but have done it.

I like DAT but HDD based recording on the laptop has alot of advantages. The higher bit depths for one, but the biggest is not having to transfer from DAT to PC or whatever for burning to CD-R (moot point if you won't be trading etc). Also you have a piece of EQ that is multi-functional. You can record shows, surf the net etc if you want to so you ae not dropping tons of $$$ just on taping gear.

If you are getting a laptop just for taping I would do as advised above and wait for the HDD recorders to come out and go that route.

If you were getting a laptop anyway and were also gonna tape with it most new machines have enough CPU power to handle the job. I personally run a P4 1.8, 1024MB RAM, 60 GB HDD.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com