Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundboard Question>>>>  (Read 3688 times)

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
Soundboard Question>>>>
« on: January 26, 2004, 08:30:41 AM »
So I did my first SBD patch on Saturday (Steve Poltz and Big Smith)...I usually stay away from SBD's just because I always feel like something will get screwed, and it did.

Twice, once during Poltz and once during Big Smith, my levels shot through the roof, and stopped the recording.  I didn't touch a thing.

Source:  SBD>UA5>Laptop Wavelab 4.0f (16 bit, 44.1 KHz)

Anybody have a clue?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 10:21:31 AM by waltflanagansdog »
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Soundboard Question>>>>
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:47:05 AM »
So I did my first SBD patch on Saturday (Steve Poltz and Big Smith)...I usually stay away from SBD's just because I always feel like something will get screwed, and it did.

Twice, once during Poltz and once during Big Smith, my levels shot through the roof, and stopped the recording.  I didn't touch a thing.

Anybody have a clue?

you're at the mercy of the guy/gal behind the board.  there's nothing you can do during your recording except to keep your levels very conservative in preparation for spikes, level fluctuations, etc.  

if you also ran an aud tape, then matrix it. if you just have a short overload section in the sbd, then you can probably fix it in post production.  the aud source could mask it if it's done correctly.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 10:48:32 AM »
poltz as in steve poltz?  love that guy.

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
    • Show List
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 11:03:12 AM »
Yeah!  I have a show with him and Bob Schneider at Antone's in Austin on 9-16-01.  Real good stuff.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 11:16:16 AM »
such a shame he left working with jewel, her stuff was actually kinda interesting with him.  i really dig both my left shoe and the answering machine album (though the quality of that album is so terrible i can only give it one or two listens and im done with it).  

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
    • Show List
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 11:19:11 AM »
He did "You Were Meant For Me" with about a 10 minute Todd Snider-esque story in there.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:14:41 PM »
Poltz is hilarious.  I mentioned this in another thread, but he's played a private living room shows for us a few times here in Austin.  Sincere guy, but man he can be a spaz.  The stories during "you were meant for me" are hilarious.  We videoed him the last time he played here.  I haven't finished dumping it all yet, not sure if any of it's useable.  I somehow managed to mess up two different audio sources.

My buddy actually taped that Bob/Poltz show at Antone's.

J

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
    • Show List
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 01:58:29 PM »
Where in Austin are you?  My wife and I lived there from 98-02 before moving here to Little Rock.  The wife has an itch to go back to Dell, but I don't know yet.  I love Austin, but it got real crowded.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 11:13:30 PM »

What exactly stopped?  Wavelab, your pc?  Did it just stop recording but stay up?  Did you have to reboot?  Any chance your USB cable or power cable got knocked?  Maybe that caused the spike you saw in your recording.

My lappy will spontaneously reboot if the UA-5 power dies.  Can't remember for sure, but maybe the same thing if the usb cable gets yanked while recording.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
    • Show List
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 08:39:19 AM »
dklein:  The recording itself stopped.  Wavelab stayed up, but just stopped recording.  The laptop stayed powered and the UA5 was fine, no power failures or anything.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

cleantone

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 10:55:51 AM »
That doesn't make too much sense. How were you patched? What board output?

Did your laptop actually stop recording or stop getting signal? If it literally stopped recording on your laptop, I have no clue. If you merely lost signal in part I have some guesses. Do you recall what output your signal was coming from? What kind of console it was?

RSVPeace

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 11:28:39 AM »
Yeah!  I have a show with him and Bob Schneider at Antone's in Austin on 9-16-01.  Real good stuff.

Is that Bob Schneider from the Ugly Americans?
I liked those guys.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »
The recording itself stopped.  Wavelab stayed up, but just stopped recording.  The laptop stayed powered and the UA5 was fine, no power failures or anything.

Open wavelab, press record
Are there any check marks beside...
Auto-stop if silence
Auto-pause if silence
Auto-stop after given duration
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 01:17:45 AM »

Is that Bob Schneider from the Ugly Americans?
I liked those guys.

Yup.  He plays in several "bands" now.  Lonelyland, the Scabs, and every once in a while with Mitch Watkins.  Does some solo shows as well.  If you like him, there's quite a few of his shows up on archive.org (including the bob&poltz one)

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
    • Show List
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 09:37:22 AM »
I can't remember what output it was in.  I gave the 1/4" to the SBD guy and he plugged it in.  

I made sure everything was un-checked on Wavelab.

The recording itself stopped.  It was odd.  The levels redlined hardcore and when I looked at the bottom of the window, the recording stopped.   The system didn't freeze, the levels kept running, but the recording stopped.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com