Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where do you put your recorder when open taping?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline jaycdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Where do you put your recorder when open taping?
« on: December 23, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
Obvious question that I don't know the answer to. Do you hold the recorder, set it on top of your gear bag, or have a stand for it? Slung over your neck or shoulder with a strap? I'll be using an R-4Pro and a Sonosax.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Re: Where do you put your recorder when open taping?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »
I just put mine in the gear bag on the floor.  Another option I've been considering is buying / making something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285081-REG/QuikLok_MS_329_Clamp_On_Utility_Tray_Black_.html

Thing about that one is that the max opening on the clamp is only 0.8inches, WAY smaller than my stand.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »
I just put mine in the gear bag on the floor.  Another option I've been considering is buying / making something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285081-REG/QuikLok_MS_329_Clamp_On_Utility_Tray_Black_.html

Thing about that one is that the max opening on the clamp is only 0.8inches, WAY smaller than my stand.

Yep, in my gear bag on the floor.

There is another version of that tray that does fit on a stand.  I saw a guy use one and put his V3/JB3 on it.  Not sure I'd feel safe with it on a shelf and subject to being knocked off.  My stand gets bumped from time to time and I would not want to try to catch my gear, even if I had it strapped down.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
Gear bag, floor. I recommend a gear bag that keeps your rig safe from the many perils that may occur at a show.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
on a table or chair/stool, if available. or a ledge of some kind. last resort is the floor under my stand.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
At the club I record at most I have an odd rack mount case that I put my R-44 in right next to the soundboard. It keeps the drunks from spilling beer on my recorder. Plus I have power and the cables from soundboard inside it all the time. It just lives there, I don't set it up each time. All I do is add the recorder, the cables to my mics and the mics themselves.

I would leave my mic cables there too, and do sometimes, but I came in once and the band had brought their own soundman who had grabbed my cables, cut all the tie wraps I had on them and used them for the band. Thank God they weren't my Silver Chameleons because I'd have gone ballistic if they had cut the Techflex off. Idjit!

At other venues and festivals I usually put the recorder in the top of the bag I have and close the lid on it once its running to keep spillage off. But it all depends, at Bear Creek I had a table to use that was part of a covered shelter right next to the soundboard and just set the recorder on it. Not much danger of Wookies getting to it there.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »
Depending on the place, either on the floor, or on a chair/stool etc.  I would hate to hold it on my lap.  Avoiding spillage from stray drunks is key.

An R4 will just fit in one of those green Sonic Case bags.  They have a nice plastic window so you can zip up the bag and keep an eye on it through the window.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
Gear bag, floor. I recommend a gear bag that keeps your rig safe from the many perils that may occur at a show.

save your money for a good one like my Petrol:

Offline jaycdunn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:10 PM »
Nice! I may have time to go to a camera shop and get something decent before I leave for the east coast. Otherwise I'll be the portly guy with the crumby bag and cheap mics.  ;D

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:00:37 AM »
Unless I could attach the bag somehow to my stand, I'd never put my stuff up off the floor.  Even then I probably wouldn't do it because it would make the stand top heavy. 

IMHO putting the gear up off the floor is asking for trouble because of alcohol mixed with the girls that simply can't resist doing a pole dance with your stand...OK they don't pole dance but I swear to God there must be something about a woman and a pole in the club that causes her to grab it when she walks by...if it isn't a Freudian desire of some sort, then I don't know what it is, because they've all gotta do it.

Anyway, the point is that along with the 'hand job', she'll brush up against your gear and eventually someone will cause it to go crashing down onto the floor.  Again, I'd never ever keep my gear up off the floor in a crowd.  The crotch of your mic stand (with your gear covered to protect from spillage) is IMHO that only logical place to keep your gear bag.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:03:31 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
For outdoor shows with any possibility of rain or a show where fluids might go flying, I recommend taking a couple of plastic garbage bags and stuffing your recorder in it. It sure worked for me at the Wanee Festival last June where it rained a good bit of the time. When it really started pouring (too much for the umbrella) I just dropped the mics and covered umbrella, mics and all with a bag.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
Dirk has a small Petrol bag for sale right now in the YS:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130536.0

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
Petrol bag

Mike, what version of Petrol do you have.  And otherwise, what size Petrol do you recommend for R4, sizeable pelican for 414s and matching sizeable mounts, 2 dvd batts, tbar and cables?  (Plus other assorted stuff - plastic bags, spill rag, clamp, tent stakes, kitchen sink).
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »
Petrol bag

Mike, what version of Petrol do you have.  And otherwise, what size Petrol do you recommend for R4, sizeable pelican for 414s and matching sizeable mounts, 2 dvd batts, tbar and cables?  (Plus other assorted stuff - plastic bags, spill rag, clamp, tent stakes, kitchen sink).

Hey Dean, the Petrol PEGZ2 would work for you. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264517-REG/Petrol_PEGZ_2_PEGZ_2_Eargonizer_Audio_Organizer.html

I haven't owned the smaller one, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't be big enough deep enough for your R-4.  Check the dimensions.

One thing I think you should be aware of.  As nice as this bag is, if you look closely at the B&H photo, the PEGZ2 does NOT seal tight at the top.  The top flaps fold over and zipper across the body of the bag, but the zipper doesn't go over the sides of the bag.  Also, it has snorkels which your fold over and velcro upon itself when the snorkels aren't being used.  Snorkels are a cool design concept...running the cables out of the side of the bag.  But I found them to be troublesome after a show when it's dark, I've tipped a few, etc. because you can lose shit out of your bag.

Between the openings at the top and the snorkels, I got rid of my PEGZ because, as great as this bag is for keeping stuff nice a skuff free, and as nice as this bag is for stashing a bottle of hooch, and as nice as this bag is for its abundance of pockets and storage, I never truly had peace of mind that I wasn't gonna be losing my mics on the floor out from behind me as I left the venue.  As it is, I lost a half dozen AA rechargeables out of the snorkels when I hadn't tied them down tightly.

Others tout the merits of the PEGZ, but after owning one, I'm truly alot more happy and have far better peace of mind with my $40 Nova 4.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Currently a PEGZ-3 (a large bag) on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170422496243

also several Portabrace demo/overstock bags that could be used for taping though not origianlly designed for that purpose (my Cargo-2 is a little larger than a Nova5)
http://shop.ebay.com/porta-brace/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

< I see Portabrace has added an AO2X  >

Though I doubt any of the above would reach the OP in time it gives an idea of what is available.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Thanks, Steve and flipp.  I've got a NOVA 5 now and like it except I can't run my cables out the side of the bag.  That's the only drawback, IME.  Hence looking at portabrace and the petrols.  Appreciate the input!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 03:03:13 PM »
Dean,
my bag is the PEGZ3 and it is HUGE  :o
I ran that when I had my 414s and still had room for my 451s and capsules

as far as the snorkels... see my last picture
I tie them tight so they can't let stuff fall out
I roll my cables up and bring the hook thru and hook to the other hook

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »
Dean,

Cool - thanks.  I'm kind of thinking for 4 channel I might want to pick this huge puppy up.  HOs and 414s with 2 sets of cables, mounts and required clamp do not fit in my NOVA 5, by any means...

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
Dean,

Cool - thanks.  I'm kind of thinking for 4 channel I might want to pick this huge puppy up.  HOs and 414s with 2 sets of cables, mounts and required clamp do not fit in my NOVA 5, by any means...

I put an R4 in mine to size it up and it DOES fit
plus if you DON'T run your UA-5 you'll have enough room for everything else
no guarantee though if you do want to run it, but who knows... it might all fit

great price... they go for 249.95 @ B&H

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Offer this guy 40 shipped. He took it for me and its an awesome All Weather bag... I know a lot of guys on here rock this bag

steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230387735324
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline jaycdunn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 01:33:17 AM »
I picked up my stand extension at a video supply house called Band Pro in Burbank today. They had a bunch of the Petrol bags on display, like 20-30 different models. Didn't see the one with the see through window, or is that inside the cover? Anyway, they're really nice. Wish I'd had the dough to pick one up today. Next time for sure.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
on a table or chair/stool, if available. or a ledge of some kind. last resort is the floor under my stand.

Yeah, order of operation is:

1) Table/ledger (not on stand)
2) floor directly under stand

also several Portabrace demo/overstock bags that could be used for taping though not origianlly designed for that purpose (my Cargo-2 is a little larger than a Nova5)
http://shop.ebay.com/porta-brace/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I'll cast a vote for Portabrace. I've got the AR-7 and RM-Multi, and a AO1X. I choose the Multi/AO1X depending on the job and what I'm taking along with me.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
I have all my gear in a big pelican case (model #1610) and it makes a perfect place to set up gear...you just need to make sure you get what you need out of it before you set up.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »
Nice! I may have time to go to a camera shop and get something decent before I leave for the east coast. Otherwise I'll be the portly guy with the crumby bag and cheap mics.  ;D

Are you talking about me?  ;D

Actually, I put everything in a backpack, which I put on the floor under my stand and my PMD660 on top of that, depending on how much room I have. If there's not much room, I have a piece of tie line through the carrying strap anchors on the recorder, and I hang it from the knob on the stand. It's low enough that it doesn't upet the balance of the stand (improves it, probably), but high enough where it's easy to get to to adjust levels, etc.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
Most often (especially at the two clubs here in Ottawa where I record a lot), I'll snag a chair for my UA-5 and JB3 (and flashlight and notepad) and place it next to the mic stand. I'll also use a shelf/ledge or a table if it's available. My least favourite method is on top of my backpack on the floor within the footprint of my mic stand. (My backpack is really just the case I use to bring gear to a show, rather than a gear-bringer and gear-holder during recording.)

I was at a really small (cap. 110) club last week to record Sisters Euclid (one of Kevin Breit's bands), and the place was so small and packed that all I could find for my gear was the seat of a chair up against the table that the other taper (the band's archivist, and a friend) had reserved and covered with gear and his mic stand (my stand was up against the stage). I stood near it for a while, but being 6' 2" tall, I got asked to move, so I said "screw it", and just sat on the floor right beside the chair. This put me about 4' directly in front of (and even in height with) Kevin's amp, which blared at me, hog-heaven style, all night long. :)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com