Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where would you stand?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
Where would you stand?
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
Taping Ste@lth, CA-14s, CA1900, Edirol R09HR...any thoughts on ideal position/method??

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:46:24 PM by ideal77dlr »
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Where would you stand?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
as absolutely close to center as possible.  Ideally however wide the speakers are you want to be within that range from the stage, dead center.  example if the speakers are 50' apart you want to be between 20 and 50' from the stage dead center.

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Thanks.  :)
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »
I would try to be about 15-20' from the stage/speakers, and as close to DFC (center) as possible.  But in this kind of crowd it may get very chatty, in which case you'll probably be best served by getting closer to the speakers and maybe even 'stack taping.' 

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »
I would say that it depends.  If the band uses a stereo mix, you would want to be as close to center as possible so that you form the point of an equilateral triangle with the stacks (or even a bit closer if you desire).  If the band uses a mono mix, you may want to consider planting yourself in front of one of the stacks, as close as you can get, and taping from there because the stereo effects won't matter.

Personally, I like to enjoy the concert while I tape it so I would be in the camp of people who would want to stand in the center of the place, regardless of the type of mix that the PA system outputs.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
Theoretical question:
Many people say it's best to stand directly in front of mixing desk - what if the mixing desk is all the way to the side of the venue?

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »
Theoretical question:
Many people say it's best to stand directly in front of mixing desk - what if the mixing desk is all the way to the side of the venue?
They say to be in front of the board not because it is the ideal position relative to the speakers but because the guy who is mixing the sound is mixing from that position and what he hears from there. It also creates a safety zone from people pushing their way to the front from behind you.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
They say to be in front of the board not because it is the ideal position relative to the speakers but because the guy who is mixing the sound is mixing from that position and what he hears from there. It also creates a safety zone from people pushing their way to the front from behind you.

Yep, I know. That's why I'm asking, so it's either "best" sound or best balance?:)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
Thanks guys.

Obviously since it's stealth I'd go more or less 'A-B'....should I aim to use a different config if I stack taped?

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
I'd go with depends. It depends on how chatty the crowd is, and where it sounds best. I don't see much pointing in to the center, so if you go for DFC, I'd want to make sure you're far enough back to get the pa. 15-20 feet might be a little close, imho. I'd have a listen during the opener, move back and forth a little in the center, see what it sounds like.

Also, are your mics cards or omnis? What kind of music, and how loud do you expect it?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
That's a lot of good advice.

Those are exactly the kind of situations I used to find myself in, and the worst part was always having to move just a little bit to avoid screamer A or whistler B.

I would line myself up with one of the stacks, about 30 feet or less. I usually prefer the right one for some reason, but it only really matters if people are coming in from one side or another. I try to get a stereo capture of stack, using my head (or something) to guarantee that I get it in stereo.

Since I usually end up moving back a bit, I usually start at about 20 feet away and have to bring up the levels a bit for each foot traveled.

Good Luck!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 06:12:44 PM »
Tapers already know where to be.

If you are new, it is to all of our benefit that you figure it out offline.

We should know better...

Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline Diamonds

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
Tapers already know where to be.

If you are new, it is to all of our benefit that you figure it out offline.

We should know better...

Even though some low-pro terms have been used in this thread, I believe this information
is both relevant to open and not so open taping methods.

I appreciate everyone's advice even though they might "know better" than some of the new
hobbyists here. 

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, and I thank everyone here for contributing,
especially the majority of people who are not as arrogant to their approach.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:09:53 PM by Diamonds »
My Recordings:  eTree  Live Music Archive

Busman BSC1 > Naiant Littlebox > Edirol R-09HR

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
As others have said... but I guess I'd add some opinions...

1. True, if you're DFC you can actually enjoy the concert -- also the orientation of your body will seem less weird, since for stack taping, well...

2. That said, especially in a less-than-ideal situation (stealth, outdoors, amphitheater-looking thing), I find that sometimes the old stack tape sounds best.  For one thing, you have the most direct sound, which will drown out the most of people talking.  Part of this depends on your general taste in recordings.  Some folks like the 'stereo image' and to 'hear it the way it sounded' more than others do... others like more direct sound.  It's a bit like the difference in people who really love hypers and people who don't, in some ways. 

Personally, if  were running open and I could get a good 10+ ft up, then I absolutely would say DFC, etc.  But that's not the situation you are in.  IMHO most venues like that sound so poor to begin with, I'd probably rather listen to a stack tape.  But that will make it tougher to um, see the concert, and make you a bit more obvious.  And you may not prefer the stack sound. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com