Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording in front of/right next to a speaker  (Read 2081 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Recording in front of/right next to a speaker
« on: September 29, 2012, 01:52:01 AM »
My rig: CA-11 (omni + card caps) > CA-9100 > Edirol R-09HR

I like to videotape shows and record audio at the same time.  There are a few venues I shoot at where the stage is fairly low to the ground - so the only place to shoot video and get a decent shot is from the front row.  Typically, this is for hard rock (loud) shows.  For video, the best spot in this situation is usually off to the side, right next to and in front of the speakers.  You can usually get the full stage shot this way and zoom in and out as necessary to catch a solo at the other end of the stage.

So I am literally standing a foot or less away from the front of the speakers.  Based on what I've read here at TTS, so far, I have only tried recording with my omni caps (the idea being that it's so loud where I'm at that the mics won't pick up any other noises in the club).  My results have been mixed at best - generally it sounds kind of dull and a little muffled. I always come away with audio that's better sounding than the videocam audio - but that isn't really saying much.

A couple of questions:

1.  Should I notice much difference if I try recording with cards?
2.  You can literally feel the sound coming out of the speakers - it almost feels like you're getting hit with puffs of air.  Would wind shields be appropriate for this - or is it just my imagination that the air is actually moving?
3.  If I were to stay in the front row and move somewhere in between the stacks - is there a good chance I would be able to capture better audio?  Note: pretty much all shows are where the musicians use floor monitors.  If I were to do this - which way should I go: omnis or cards?

As far as finding a spot to set up my rig away from the stage - I've thought about it - but it's really not an option because I almost always fly solo at these gigs.

Edit to add: I usually clip both mics to whichever shoulder is next to the speaker(s).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:01:05 AM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Recording in front of/right next to a speaker
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 02:23:00 AM »
If you do stack taping, omnis are your best option.

Standing 1 foot away from the speakers might be the problem. That's where the SPL is the highest.
While at the show and from your taping spot, are you able to clearly and distinctly hear each instrument (and voice) ?

I know CA mics have alot of addicts here, but I still have to hear a stealth tape made with them that doesn't sound fishy to my ears... Don't want to blame the mics since I never taped a show myself using them. Pulling off a good tape is also about the spot.

I'd suggest to move away a bit from the speakers. Stay first row and stand dead center.
From that new spot, you can keep taping using omnis. With loud sound, you won't hear any crowd chatters on your tape anyway.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »
1 foot is too close...even if you move to the middle, you'll be off-axis of the speakers dispersion...and you're opening your self to coloration from the monitors...

Standing directly in front of any speaker - you will get too much of 1 driver...too much woofer(the puffs of air...adding proximity effect)...too much tweeter.

Those sounds need to get out and away from the speaker before they will record "right"

And - you REALLY do not want to be moving around while you record. There seems no reason to have the mics on your body.

Find someplace - at least 6-8 feet...or more away from the speakers - and try to capture BOTH speakers not just one.

you have a small rig - there has to be away to put it somewhere and "set it and forget it" - that or you really need to find an accomplice.

Your gear is not the problem - start getting good captures - and then you can start fine tuning and worrying about stuff like cap choice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:46:14 AM by runonce »

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
I have been to a couple of venues where close proximity to the speakers is a bad idea, as they are the bass cabs. The midrange / tweeters are higher up, so I cannot tape from next to the stage in these places. This might be why you recordings sound dull and muffled.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
Maybe you shouldn't fly solo. Bring a taper friend along to do it right. Ultimately the music is way more important than the "show".

I did the front row for Phish at SPAC- last time for me. The sound was atrocious- the lawn sounded better. The only nice thing I could say about the sound was that the drums from where I was were direct from the kit, which was interesting. Keep an eye peeled for small audience speakers placed on the stage lip for the audience- and record from there rather than the stacks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:49:12 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com