Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ballpark on DA-P1 repair??  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Ballpark on DA-P1 repair??
« on: March 25, 2004, 10:33:57 AM »
I think my DA-P1 is starting to fail, getting digi-noise that a cleaner tape isn't fixing.  Assuming it needs a head replacement, was wondering if anybody's had to do that lately and could give me a rough idea how much money I'm looking at?  I'd planned on sending it to Pro Digital, but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears. . .

Thanks

Sloan

« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 10:55:52 AM by Sloan Simpson »

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Ballpark on DA-P1 repair??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 11:56:34 AM »
1-200 is my guess- they charge 75 per hour + parts

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 11:58:25 AM »
Cool, thanks; that gives me an idea at least, if it were costing people like 600 or something I might be looking at other options.

Sloan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 12:01:39 PM »
My D100 is at Pro Digital right now and I was quoted in the ~$250 range for head replacement if it needs it...not the same deck, but I would imagine it should not be too far off the mark...hell working within the Sony Portables should be more difficult than a full size deck...

Online Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:35:27 PM »
it could be just an alignment problem...i had the same problem with my d8. pro-digital charges $75/hr for repair. if its just alighment, like mine was, you may be charged $75...if it is complete head replacement 200-300 sounds right.

a funny pro-digital story. i went there monday to get a 7pin i/o cable and to pick up my rmr-d3 remote commander which had a bad internal fuse. paul is sitting there at the desk in the front, and rattles off a bunch of this is unit is compatible with this, but not that...he really seems to know what he is talking about.

we start talking about business and he tells me portable dat repairs are steady, but home/studio deck repair is lagging. we then talk about dat's competition, jb3, sound devices 7 series, laptop stuff.

paul gets up to show me a marantz solid state recorder, and when he stands up to show the marantz to me he is not wearing shoes...

just white gym socks sticking out of his blue jean leg bottoms. i almost cracked up.

as i re-read this it doesnt seem all that funny, but i still wanted to share it with you. i guess if you have ever been to pro-digital you may know why i find it funny.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 12:37:09 PM »
it is kinda funny- it reminds me of how many recording engineers i know that never put on shoes

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 05:40:06 PM »
it could be just an alignment problem...i had the same problem with my d8. pro-digital charges $75/hr for repair. if its just alighment, like mine was, you may be charged $75...if it is complete head replacement 200-300 sounds right.

That'd be nice if it was only alignment!  Had it since summer 2000, it's my only deck (although it's usually record once, play once to transfer, I don't use it for 'recreational' playback), and I've used it LOTS.  Like some weeks have 5 shows in 'em for me to tape, especially lately.  For a while now it hasn't liked playing tapes recorded in other machines, and the tapes it records don't get along with the couple other machines I've tried 'em in.  But starting with the show I taped last night, it had digi-noise on a new tape that it had just recorded. . .

Anyway, thanks again y'all
Sloan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 05:57:18 PM »
So mine has not had a cleaning since I bought it used on ebay a few years ago (probably not cleaned before either), used regularly since then and Paul called today, heads are fine, needs a couple of the gears replaced, there was a stress fracture on the battery cover that he was going to replace and give it a thorough cleaning, comes in right around $200...pretty reasonable if you ask me.  It is also really nice to have a guy who understands what he is saying take the time to explain to you what you just dont get...+T to prodigital...breeze to work with!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 10:32:16 AM »
nice, i still have a d-8 i need to get sent in, then i believe im selling it!!!just cant afford to have it sitting around!!!

glad to hear pro-dig is on point
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.684 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com