Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D8 misload problem  (Read 1705 times)

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
Sony D8 misload problem
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:17:20 AM »
I had the dreaded misload happen on my D8 the other night for at least the 3rd time now and this time it went a little differently. I put a new tape in just before the 2nd set, it was a Maxell HS-4 60 meter. I took every precaution to avoid letting the tape misload..kept the light on (it stayed on)...recorded 1 minute of PA and played it back and saw levels, and I didnt let the deck fall asleep between then and the time the band took the stage. I thought everything went fine until the set was over and I went to eject the tape. I noticed the tape seemed to be hung up on the heads or something inside the deck. I rewound the tape back to the beginining and actually saw it pass both start IDs, I played back the tape from the beginning and saw the levels again from the PA music, then I FF'ed to about 5 minutes and saw levels for that. So at that point I just wanted to get the tape out safely, I FF'ed to the end and ejected the tape. I was able to get the tape out by wiggling it around a bit and the tape was a little bit wrinkled from being wrapped around the heads but looks okay. When I got home I popped the tape in my home deck and it shows up blank, tried the original D8 and got nothing. So im thinking somehow the actual tape got flipped while loading on the D8 and recorded to the other side of the tape.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? If so how can it be fixed? Has anyone ever taken a tape apart? Im thinking I may try to take the tape apart and put the tape reels in backwards. This is really a shame as I was the only taper and I had no one patch out of me and of course happens to be a recording I dont wanna lose.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Sony D8 misload problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »
so it doesnt pl;ay outta the original d-8???

hmmmm, weird, i was gonna say its a weird thing between decks, but it SHOULD play outta the d-8 if you recorded it in it???

you know what tho, decks are VERY picky, i have tried to play some dats and i get constant diginoise, a weeek later after a couple dats being played/xferred, it plays flawlessly, theyre VERY picky about what/whatnot they play!!!

thus me moving forward to a jb3, no xfers to worry about and no diginoise from bad heads/misalignment/dirty heads!!!

and thats priceless!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 03:17:55 PM »
Putting the tape reels in backwards would be a HUGE pain in the ass - you'd have to physically rewrap the tape around the hubs in the opposite direction somehow, without touching the tape itself. Not sure if it's doable. I've taken my share of tapes apart and it's not fun.

Is it even possible to record on the other side of a DAT tape? I thought only one side could record data...

FWIW, I always eject my tapes as soon as I'm done recording on them...I'd rather rewind on my home deck and keep as many hours as possible off the portable's motor.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 04:34:59 PM »
I normally always eject tapes after recording in the D8, in fact I only use my D8 to record, never for playback, RW or FF.

Not sure if it's possible to record on the other side of a DAT, just something I was throwing out there since I know I remember specifically seeing the levels upon playback and also seeing both start IDs as I rewound the tape back.

After thinking about this now, I should have never ejected the tape and instead I should have taken the D8 home and tried to make a clone while the tape was still "playable".
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 04:36:34 PM »
that sucks Brian! good luck...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com