Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping jazz ensembles--brass instruments  (Read 2260 times)

KC5

• Trade Count: (0)
taping jazz ensembles--brass instruments
« on: April 16, 2004, 09:45:49 AM »
i'm gonna go tape a jazz emsemble tonight.  the room is smallish.  maybe 10 rows of seats with a space of maybe 10 feet between the first row and the stage--about 20 seats wide.  last time i saw this ensemble ( didn't tape ) they seemed a bit loud.  i'm just curious if the brass instruments have a tendency to make the signal go over.  i'm running 4vs/nbox/oadesbm1/d8.  most likely @ 70° ;D  anyone got feedback taping brass instruments?  i'm thinking i might either try to setup at stage lip--maybe too close?--or maybe 5th row.  where's a good place to start on the sbm1?  tia.

bill

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Re:taping jazz ensembles--brass instruments
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 10:45:09 AM »
I've taped some similar stuff (with a much more ghetto rig) and I think moving back just a bit, like 5th row may do you some good for getting a more even mix.
If you do go stage lip, go for a wider angle, like ORTF (110). 70 would be pretty tight if you're right on top of them like that.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:51:50 AM »
I've taped a local jazz quartet lately from the stage and Moke makes a great point.  the first time I went simply ran ortf onstage center and certain instruments are just heavier than others.

Moke also asks a very important question about what instruments are mic'd/amp'd and which are not.

The quartet went like this:

bass - amp(very quiet throught the amp) & plugged in to the board
piano - plugged in
drums - not mic'd
sax - not mic'd

I ended up running a aud/sbd matrix with ua-5. the board feed took care of bass and piano and then I ran xy cards offcenter in between just the drums and sax.  came out fantastic when the sax player stood in one damn place.

I just ordered all three matched caps from soundroom for my mk-012's and I'd love to try some spaced omni's.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

KC5

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »
acoustic or amp supported?

all acoustic.  in fact, from memory, the conductor wasn't mic'ed when he introduced the songs.  i'll size up their setup and keep in mind what you folks said.  finally, i can get out to tape something :)

thanx.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »
You will be amazed what your rig can do with an acoustic ensemble. Some of the sweetest recordings I have are of jazz bands or other such music. I'd be interested in hearing a sample of your results.

Speaking of jazz, anyone in DC going to stealth Kenny Garrett at Blues Alley? I already have plans for that night, or I'd be all over that.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
I just ordered all three matched caps from soundroom for my mk-012's and I'd love to try some spaced omni's.

you planning on a mod to match the bodies? or are they already matched.  i have a matched set from them w/ just the card caps that i am very happy w/.

Let me borrow your omni's if you get bored w/ em.  j/k
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

KC5

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 01:07:23 AM »
You will be amazed what your rig can do with an acoustic ensemble. Some of the sweetest recordings I have are of jazz bands or other such music. I'd be interested in hearing a sample of your results.

Speaking of jazz, anyone in DC going to stealth Kenny Garrett at Blues Alley? I already have plans for that night, or I'd be all over that.

well it wasn't all acoustic.  there were mics for those who solo'd, the piano was miced, there were two guitarist who were plugged in, and the bass player switched to an electric bass.  listening right now--sounds great.  i'll transfer this and get copies to those who want them.  

bill

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 02:20:36 AM »

you planning on a mod to match the bodies? or are they already matched.  i have a matched set from them w/ just the card caps that i am very happy w/.

Let me borrow your omni's if you get bored w/ em.  j/k

yeah they're guitar center mk-012's, I think someone found the odds are low of getting a matched pair from a random sample. if I would've had the money I would have just gone through soundroom, they hooked me up with the caps, I highly recommend them.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 12:41:50 PM »
I'd love to hear the tape when your done.  And Chris, nice pickup on the 3 sets of caps.

-Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com