Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for Neumann AK40 active XY90 setup ?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Windscreens for Neumann AK40 active XY90 setup ?
« on: April 28, 2004, 12:17:40 PM »
The caps basically are touching each other and there is no space to slide a windscreen on. Has anyone rigged something up ? I was thinking of just cutting slots out of a pair I have and kinda form fitting them for just the XY setup.

Ideas ? Comments ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline silentmark

Re:Windscreens for Neumann AK40 active XY90 setup ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:37:57 PM »
Mark,
I built a DeadRat wind sock out of some fake fur. It is a very loose weave material on the inside, and long synthetic hair on the outside.
I made it into a pouch shape large enough to place my dpa's at ortf, with the w.screens on. So the whole mic, w.screens, and bar get encased in this rectangle of synthetic fur.
i used it in a very stiff afternoon wind the other day, and didn't really get any wind noise worthy of noting. W/out it, it would have been unlistenable.
I guess that the long synthetic hairs buffer the wind at the microphone enough to kill the rumble(?)

The thing cost less than a dollar, and about 15 minutes of hand sewing, (because i don't know how to use Sarges machine).

Thanks Mike. Do you have any pictures per chance ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:58:16 PM »
I use the small DPA screens and they do touch, I put the screens on first then slide 'em into the holders....best I can do when running XY...glad I'm DIN and ORTF most of the time.  

gfl
jah
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:09:43 PM by JAH »
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline silentmark

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 02:16:48 PM »
I use the small DPA screens and they do touch, I put the screens on first then slide 'em into the holders....best I can do when running XY...glad I'm DIN and ORTF most of the time.  

gfl
jah

Thanks jah.  I have a pair of the DPA0896 (I think number that is right), you know the large screens, well for the DPA's they are large. I know these won't work, just too big. What model number do you use ?

Heh now to hijack my own thread, do you have a DIN mount in addition to the XY & ORTF mounts ? Did you make it or purchase it soemwhere ?

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 02:45:13 PM »
I use the small screens....the P/n is somewhere in ts.com  

schuster, do you know what the small DPA screen P/Ns are?????

As for the mounts...I have the fixed ORTF and the two piece XY (adjustable) mount.  to run DIN check out Skalinder's method...it gets close (in separtion) by using both of them.  I don't have the links but there in here somewhere.  Other than that get two schoep mounts (a20-s or something like that and put them on an akg 3 piece bar).

side note...I use the small DPA screen and w/ them on the caps slide them into a film canister...
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.181 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com