Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What might I need to change in my rig?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline bobs23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What might I need to change in my rig?
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »
First off newb to the site, and have been reading the forum for a few weeks.
Gear:
Recording: M1 with sonic studios mod2 preamp, sonic studios DSM6/L
Mastering: hardware DA60>AES>yamaha O3D>audigy2 SPDIF
               software Sound Forge 7 w/NR package
Tracking: CDWave

I mainly record loud rock (Dream Theater, Godsmack, etc.) stealth.

I am presently getting pretty good recordings, but am looking to improve. This is the first site I have found I think I can get an honest educated answer.

In looking through the forums it appears that my soundcard may be the weakest link. I see many people endorse the audiophile 2496 card, is this a big improvement over what I have?

I use the O3D mixer to knock down the bass initially(usually -8db shelf @120hz), these mics seem to record quite fathfully the bottom end of a show but is way too heavy for CD listening, I seem to have better results to do it at this stage rather than doing it in software. I also use the mixer for balancing, again better at this stage.

My general technique is once it's on HD is to use multiband comp. to tighten up the bottom, a bit of eq to bring out vocals, then normalize to pull the whole mix up.

Another device I was thinking of adding is the sonic studios bass roll off box (PA6LC3B) this does the roll off of -10 @ 130hz

I'm not "married" to any of the gear, it was just the best I could find.
Suggestions?
Thank you,
Bob S.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What might I need to change in my rig?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:36:01 PM »
bob, if you are focusing on two track recordings why not get an active 7pin from your dat and go straight digi in to your soundcard, hence not needing to go a>d>a>d, just go a>d once and leave it at that.

you can do the basic eq you want in good software and get the same results as with the gear you are currently using.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com