Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where should i leave the recordings?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Where should i leave the recordings?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »
I put a bunch of CD-r's in a plastic bag, and left them outside a record store in town...

they had to go.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline highwayjill

• Taperssection All-Star
  • highwayjill was a daffodil...
    • my cd list
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 11:58:25 PM »
i started out trading spindles of audio discs for spindles of blanks... then moved on to 2 spindles of audio discs for 1 spindle of blanks, and i still have a shitload of discs that i'll never listen to... i listen to everythign on my computer, so audio discs are pretty much useless to me now...

anyone interested in a spindle of trey summer 02 shows? ;)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 01:43:11 AM »
HD DVD's will be appearing by the end of 2005.  nec and toshiba will be selling players and recorders...i forgot the specs but they'll be able to hold tons more than a normal dvd can.  i guess as things keep getting bigger and better and if you keep upgrading your collection with the upgrades, you can stay on top of the situation.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline drufus

• Taperssection Regular
  • dirty south
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 03:20:41 AM »
hd-dvd are on their way now, toshiba is on slashdot.com today about using the HD-DVDs in their new line of laptops en route to the world, i love the idea of the blue-ray dvds holding 50GB of data. I started with Zip 100s then CDR and CDRWs then lost faith in plastic media. anything beyond 2 years is a miracle aside from the $20 single CDRs from ages ago. I keep my jewels on a pair of 150GB EIDE, one maxtor, one western digital
Rode NT4>JB3

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 01:14:27 PM »
I've seen it mentioned before, and Doug just brought it up again over on the Oade board:  if you're archiving your masters to CD/DVD, archive them as WAV files on data CD/DVD, not FLAC/SHN.

Why?  While it takes up more space, you'll lose less data in the event of a damaged disc.  Something I keep meaning to start doing, but haven't because I keep forgetting about it!

Here's an improvement on that idea.  Since FLAC only takes up about a third the space of WAV, why not burn double backups of FLAC?  Here's why--in the event that an error on the disc does happen, you'll have a second disc where it's extremely unlikely that an error would've occured on the same spot of data (lightning never strikes in the same spot twice).  With the WAV idea, you will lose some data (though less than a single FLAC), but with burning double FLAC then you will have lost no data.  And in the event that both FLAC backups have lost data, you can combine the two into one errorless file.  Also, in the end you will end up using less discs than burning to WAV.  Even better, you can store the second backup in a second location, so if you have flood/fire damage in one place, you still have your other set of backups.

Thoughts?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004, 01:47:45 PM »
I've seen it mentioned before, and Doug just brought it up again over on the Oade board:  if you're archiving your masters to CD/DVD, archive them as WAV files on data CD/DVD, not FLAC/SHN.

Why?  While it takes up more space, you'll lose less data in the event of a damaged disc.  Something I keep meaning to start doing, but haven't because I keep forgetting about it!

Here's an improvement on that idea.  Since FLAC only takes up about a third the space of WAV, why not burn double backups of FLAC?  Here's why--in the event that an error on the disc does happen, you'll have a second disc where it's extremely unlikely that an error would've occured on the same spot of data (lightning never strikes in the same spot twice).  With the WAV idea, you will lose some data (though less than a single FLAC), but with burning double FLAC then you will have lost no data.  And in the event that both FLAC backups have lost data, you can combine the two into one errorless file.  Also, in the end you will end up using less discs than burning to WAV.  Even better, you can store the second backup in a second location, so if you have flood/fire damage in one place, you still have your other set of backups.

Thoughts?

there's the ticket.
if even one millisecond of my backup is fucked, then the entire backup is fucked. archiving wav files would make a scratch/bad spot/whatever less harmful to the backup, true; but any harm is a complete failure. imho.

Offline drufus

• Taperssection Regular
  • dirty south
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »
love your recordings but should you love your recordings?
i spend enough in utilities bills and hardware on a hard drive farm, is keeping a double-maufactured vaccum sealed archive stored under the bunker at camp david going to be enough
 ;D
Rode NT4>JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com