Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is this popping sound?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
What is this popping sound?
« on: November 08, 2004, 09:55:13 PM »
I taped Interpol last night in Philly, using a newly constructed battery box.  In the first few songs, there is a distinct popping sound heard every few minutes or so.  I recall before they went on that someone was chewing/popping gum loudly next to me, so hopefully it was just them on the tape.  I was wondering if a few people could check out the clip posted here and tell me if it seems more hardware-related as opposed to an annoying crowd member. Its a 420k download:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tquinto/pop.flac
thanks

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: What is this popping sound?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 10:53:39 PM »
sounds like the pops my dap1 likes to make here lately.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 11:00:46 PM »
which side of you was the person chewing/snapping gum standing on?  The pop seems to me to be a bit louder on the right than the left, which leads me to think that its more likely something recorded, and not some kind of digital problem, but I don't know for sure...   :-\
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
which side of you was the person chewing/snapping gum standing on?  The pop seems to me to be a bit louder on the right than the left, which leads me to think that its more likely something recorded, and not some kind of digital problem, but I don't know for sure...   :-\

They were to the right of me. I really didn't think it was loud enough to show up on tape though...It was mainly annoying me between sets. Although, when the music started, I put earplugs in, so I might not have noticed how loud they were being.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 11:07:18 PM »

They were to the right of me. I really didn't think it was loud enough to show up on tape though...It was mainly annoying me between sets. Although, when the music started, I put earplugs in, so I might not have noticed how loud they were being.

Is it happening a lot?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 11:14:03 PM »

Is it happening a lot?

I only really notice this in the first 5 songs or so.  But I'm going back through and listening closely for any other noises.  Also, I'm running the mics/box/dat in my room right now to see if i get any pops.  I can probably zap most of them with a click remover, but its a pain to have to go through the entire recording.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
yeah definately- that sucks- what program has a click remover?

what mics are you using in that sample?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 11:19:09 PM »
what program has a click remover?

I'd like to know as well.  some of my pops are only in one channel so in that case I can just copy the other channel.  still haven't figured out how to remove them with the pencil in soundforge.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 11:24:19 PM »
yeah definately- that sucks- what program has a click remover?

what mics are you using in that sample?

I never had a need for a click remover before, but I'm using Adobe Audition's click/pop remover with some success.  (here is that same sample using the click remover:  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tquinto/nopop.flac )

I'm using DPA 4061 mics in that sample.  I haven't been happy with their reproduction of bass, so I've been experimenting with bass rolloff.  I don't know if I'm there yet...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:27:12 PM »
what are you using to power the 4061s?  I've been strongly, strongly considin purchasing some of those...

+t for the pop troubles dood

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:35 PM »
link didn't work.  oh and +t    may have to try Adobe Audition' to remove pops.

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 11:33:19 PM »
what are you using to power the 4061s?  I've been strongly, strongly considin purchasing some of those...

+t for the pop troubles dood

I made a battery box to power them.  I'm using the same layout that Coresound uses to build theirs, except I am using different capacitors to roll off more bass than their box does.  (The Coresound box rolls off practically nothing on the line in). 

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 11:34:18 PM »
link didn't work.  oh and +t    may have to try Adobe Audition' to remove pops.

The file is up now.  I hit the Comcast storage limit and the upload failed, but I made room for it.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »
wow!  that is way better!  do you just high light where the pop is?  also did the wavefile look fucked up at all?  my pops from my dat when looking at the wavefile 9 times out of 10 it looks fine.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 11:40:35 PM »
on my soundforge, I wouldn't have noticed the pop in the waveform.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 11:45:34 PM »
wow!  that is way better!  do you just high light where the pop is?  also did the wavefile look fucked up at all?  my pops from my dat when looking at the wavefile 9 times out of 10 it looks fine.

Yep, if you zoom in on just the pop itself, Audition lets you select "Fill Single Click Now".  I've had good luck doing that so far.

Regarding what the wav looks like...The pops don't visibly stand out on my recording either, so zooming in on them is a pain.  Good luck with getting rid of yours.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com