Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which bogen to choose?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline sethro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
which bogen to choose?
« on: January 29, 2005, 09:03:11 PM »
Hello all, I'm putting together my first rig and looking at stands.  From a search here I found a link to the bogen site and now it seems the choices are endless.  I'll be running a set of mics with standard cables in the section most of the time but FOB when I can.  I'm wondering if getting a black stand from bogen, as opposed to silver, is worth the extra few dollors?  I also found an avenger stand that goes up to 12'8' as opposed to the 11' or 11'4'' for the bogens.  Does avenger make a solid stand?  Is that extra foot needed very often.   I'll try to insert some links to the stands. 
Thanks.
bogen basic silver
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=128626&is=REG
bogen black
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=125206&is=REG
avenger
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=67813&is=REG

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: which bogen to choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 01:42:58 AM »
those might be too much stand FOB.  check out the 3373.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 10:30:12 AM »
those might be too much stand FOB.  check out the 3373.

what he said, if you plan to do FOB a lot, the 3373 is what you want, great little stand, I love mine. Also, for FOB, stay away from silver stands also
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dhora

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 11:57:28 AM »
newbie question here... Is FOB = Font of Board?
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »
Yes FOB is front of board.

What mics are you planning to use? Also, what bar will you be using? I have an APIC stand similar to the 3373 and have found that it doesn't do well with AKG 460s and the Shure vert bar. Specifically, there is a lot of wobble because of all the weight and the small diameter of the top extension. If you are running ATs or small diameter actives, you would be fine with the 3373 or the 8' APIC, otherwise, you may want to find a stand with a little more support.

For someone that owns a 3373, what is the diameter of the thinnest (top) extension? The APIC is 9mm.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline sethro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 12:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  I'm still looking for mics, although I am hoping to find some akg 390's.  For my first stand I want something that will work further back, especially for the summer festival season.  Although, a good FOB stand will be on my need to get list.  I'll probably just deal with a larger stand or use a clamp up front when that situation arises. 

So, It seems black is the most versitile.  Does anyone have an opinion on avenger stands?  My feeling right now is the extra $10 for the bogen is worth it, from the pictures it looks like the bogen is built a little better. That is unless the 12'8'' max height of the avenger is more neccesary than I know.

Thanks again!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 01:06:59 PM »
Get the bogen stand, its worth the extra money. Now if you also plan on festi taping, then there are some nice big bogen stands that wil work well also. One thing you will learn is that its best to have a few stands, I have 3, my big 13' bogen for summer (3322B), my 3373 for FOB or low profile and a boom stand for this one place in Rochester I tape all the time that has a balcony that you can lower your mics down.

I have also run my TL's on the 3733, it wobbles some, but is solid and did not fall over.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:19:34 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »
For someone that owns a 3373, what is the diameter of the thinnest (top) extension?

13mm
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »
any there are many accessories you can get to make the top what ever you want
In Tyler we Trust

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  I'm still looking for mics, although I am hoping to find some akg 390's.  For my first stand I want something that will work further back, especially for the summer festival season.  Although, a good FOB stand will be on my need to get list.  I'll probably just deal with a larger stand or use a clamp up front when that situation arises. 

So, It seems black is the most versitile.  Does anyone have an opinion on avenger stands?  My feeling right now is the extra $10 for the bogen is worth it, from the pictures it looks like the bogen is built a little better. That is unless the 12'8'' max height of the avenger is more neccesary than I know.

Thanks again!

If you are set on the 390s, I think there is a pair for sale with the actives right now. The actives + a 3373 would be a very good FOB combo.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 02:33:56 PM »
Unless your sold On the Bogen name ,
 You should also consider these.
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=3869486567&rd=1

I cant fluff them enough.
well Built and cheap enough you can buy a couple of um and still have money leftover.

I have a 9' and a 12'  . I just got the 9' this week , But have been running the 12' for over a year now.

The 9' has a Min footprint of 14" I wouldnt take it over 6' if using this small of a footprint as it gets a bit wobbly, But if space is tight and you have some Duct tape your golden.

Nick

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline sethro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 03:20:40 PM »
If you are set on the 390s, I think there is a pair for sale with the actives right now. The actives + a 3373 would be a very good FOB combo.

Kind of off the topic, but...  I've been watching the 390's on the yard sale right now.  I don't feel confident discerning if this is a good deal or not.  Gruven42 seems to be professional enough on his display, but there are not many responses from the section.  I've sent a pm on the standard package along with the hypers, but haven't herd anything back.  What do y'all think?  Good deal? Good guy?

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »
I don't know anything about him. I sold my 300s with both the 91 and 93s for $600. I think the average going price of 391s is about $400. I know the actives are expensive, but another $580 sounds high - that's about what they cost new I think. If you could get the active set for between $7-800 that sounds more reasonable.

If I were doing it all over again, I wouldn't bother with the 391s unless they came with actives because I like the 481/461s so much more. And if I needed actives, I would go with the JK Labs ck61 set over the 300s.

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 07:43:57 PM »
If you want a bogen check this one out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5593&is=REG
 This thing is a tank and it will not woblle at least it has not with my LD's
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com