Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which bag should I get?  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Which bag should I get?
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
Well, I'm finishing putting together a rig, and I need a bag to fit everything. I could take my stuff to the store, but I'm afraid of being "stared" at. The problem I run into is whether or not to carry my microphones in the bag or in their case, seen here: http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6SK.html

I would be running the CEMC6>V3>JB3 and I have an eco-charge battery for the V3. I'll have a pair of mic cables, an optical cable, my little Iriver for backup recording, a pair of XLR>RCA, a t-bar, and depending on the downsizing of the mics and their case, that stuff too.

I searched the site to look at bag suggestions, and I like the Lowepro Nova 4. I also saw many people using the Mountainsmith "Cairn", but I can't find it on their website. So what I'm asking is, what would you suggest as a bag for my gear? How would I get my mic container downsized with some sort of hard plastic covering for the mics? And where can I found this "Cairn"? Thanks, Peace, -Ian
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Which bag should I get?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:15:38 PM »
search www.cases4less.com for a pelican 1060 micro case for a nice fit for your mics, just check out the specs to make sure they'll fit nicely, and order the pick n pluck foam ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:02:46 PM »
I used the Nova 4 for a couple of months an it's a great bag.. the only reason I sold it was to move into a rakgear...

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 10:32:55 PM »
This is the bag I use http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30135&bct=t1004%3Bc1018%3Bc1001741 . This thing is bad! I haven't used it too much but I can tell its going to be around for a while. Plenty of room and tons of padding. I'm very happy with it so far.

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
lowepro nova 5 is my bag, and i love that damn thing.

Ray

Offline coloartist

• MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:10:33 PM »
I just bought this Mountainsmith Camera Pack. It is awesome. I can close it all up in the rain. It has waterproof zippers, and a V3 viewing window on the top.

DON’T LEAVE THAT EXTRA LENS OR BODY AT HOME; THE BEEFY SUSPENSION SYSTEM ON THIS PACK LETS YOU CARRY IT ALL IN ALL-DAY COMFORT.

FEATURES
• Main panel access • Padded interior compartments for camera gear organization • Simple waistbelt • Top access to SLR caseLeash point for tripod attachment • Large bottom storage area • Airmesh back panel • Side mesh pockets • 2 large front pockets • Side and bottom compression straps • Tuck-away Rain Cover

CONSTRUCTION
• Polyethelene framesheet • 420d Velocity material • Padded waistbelt • Urethane coated zippers • Soft Tricot lining • Hypalon pull-tabs

BEST FIT: MULTIPLE SLR BODIES + LENSES, ACCESSORIES AND GEAR

mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
that is a nice bag!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline coloartist

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
I forgot to mention that the bag is called the Mountainsmith Paragon Camera Bag.     www.mountainsmith.com
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 02:26:59 PM »
If you don't want to spend a bundle, do what I did - go to some local camera stores and just look at their inventory of bags.  I found a *perfect* camera bag for < 50 bucks.  It's nice and big, has adjustable sections and lots of pockets.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline coloartist

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »
The backpack came in real handy, when I was walking around NYC, going to Panic. I stayed in Brooklyn and had to trek to RCMH each day and night, with shopping and eating along the way. It got heavy after a while. If I had to carry it all day without it being on my back, I wouldn't have made it. Most of the time it just goes from my car to the venue, but when you fly to shows, it really comes in handy. It also has an external tripod/umbrella holder on each side. I paid $60.00 wholesale so I assume it is around $100.00.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

BobW

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 07:39:53 PM »
http://www.geeks.com has had a few very good bags at surreal prices.
They've done me righteous several times this year.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 08:11:53 PM »
I just bought this Mountainsmith Camera Pack. It is awesome. I can close it all up in the rain. It has waterproof zippers, and a V3 viewing window on the top.

Are the dividers configurable to form different sized compartments?
Any chance you're willing to snap and post a few pics of the bag with your gear inside, showing each compartment / pocket?

I've had difficulty finding any pics online other than the standard Mountainsmith ones, which aren't very helpful (they don't even show where the window resides).  I'm starting to schlep around 2 full sets of gear.  No, really...I am.  My Mountainsmith Blaze simply won't fit it all.  And while it all fits in my RakGear KickFlip, I'd like a bag with slightly more divisions / pockets for storing gear.  As it is, the KF really only has two big, main compartments so I'm not able to organize my gear very well, it's all just kinda chucked in. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
I went the backpack route.  After a couple weeks researching I finally made a decision and the bag arrived last night.  It's a Targus Pulse (model #RG0315c - Targus bags with RG in the model # incorporate some Rakgear components) and the best deal I found on it was at buy.com for $30.04 w/free shipping.  It has a built-in sleeve for a laptop which I am using to hold the case which contains my mics.  It has several other sections and many pockets including one that holds a jb3 perfectly.  The 14.5"x11"x18.25" dimensions give plenty of room.  It also has thick padded, ergonomic shoulder straps and a waist strap for distributing the load.

The Targus website has basic info, and there's a review here.

If you want to go a little bigger, check out the Targus Matrix, model RG0322.  I also considered:
Ultimate Direction 'Freelance'
REI Alpine pack (3100 cu and currently at REI Outlet for $34.93)
Lowepro EX1300.  Others here say if you're buying a Lowepro, get it from Photococan - an eBay store.

I believe the original Mountainsmith Cairn and Blaze have been discontinued and replaced with the Cairn II and Blaze II.  I couldn't tell you the differences, but Campmor carries them.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline coloartist

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 03:00:10 AM »

Are the dividers configurable to form different sized compartments?
Any chance you're willing to snap and post a few pics of the bag with your gear inside, showing each compartment / pocket?

I've had difficulty finding any pics online other than the standard Mountainsmith ones, which aren't very helpful (they don't even show where the window resides).  I'm starting to schlep around 2 full sets of gear.  No, really...I am.  My Mountainsmith Blaze simply won't fit it all.  And while it all fits in my RakGear KickFlip, I'd like a bag with slightly more divisions / pockets for storing gear.  As it is, the KF really only has two big, main compartments so I'm not able to organize my gear very well, it's all just kinda chucked in. 

They can be made to fit everything nice. I definately did some customizing. I will take some photo's, and post them.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com