Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which bag should I get?  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Which bag should I get?
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
Well, I'm finishing putting together a rig, and I need a bag to fit everything. I could take my stuff to the store, but I'm afraid of being "stared" at. The problem I run into is whether or not to carry my microphones in the bag or in their case, seen here: http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6SK.html

I would be running the CEMC6>V3>JB3 and I have an eco-charge battery for the V3. I'll have a pair of mic cables, an optical cable, my little Iriver for backup recording, a pair of XLR>RCA, a t-bar, and depending on the downsizing of the mics and their case, that stuff too.

I searched the site to look at bag suggestions, and I like the Lowepro Nova 4. I also saw many people using the Mountainsmith "Cairn", but I can't find it on their website. So what I'm asking is, what would you suggest as a bag for my gear? How would I get my mic container downsized with some sort of hard plastic covering for the mics? And where can I found this "Cairn"? Thanks, Peace, -Ian
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Which bag should I get?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:15:38 PM »
search www.cases4less.com for a pelican 1060 micro case for a nice fit for your mics, just check out the specs to make sure they'll fit nicely, and order the pick n pluck foam ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:02:46 PM »
I used the Nova 4 for a couple of months an it's a great bag.. the only reason I sold it was to move into a rakgear...

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 10:32:55 PM »
This is the bag I use http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30135&bct=t1004%3Bc1018%3Bc1001741 . This thing is bad! I haven't used it too much but I can tell its going to be around for a while. Plenty of room and tons of padding. I'm very happy with it so far.

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
lowepro nova 5 is my bag, and i love that damn thing.

Ray

Offline coloartist

• MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:10:33 PM »
I just bought this Mountainsmith Camera Pack. It is awesome. I can close it all up in the rain. It has waterproof zippers, and a V3 viewing window on the top.

DON’T LEAVE THAT EXTRA LENS OR BODY AT HOME; THE BEEFY SUSPENSION SYSTEM ON THIS PACK LETS YOU CARRY IT ALL IN ALL-DAY COMFORT.

FEATURES
• Main panel access • Padded interior compartments for camera gear organization • Simple waistbelt • Top access to SLR caseLeash point for tripod attachment • Large bottom storage area • Airmesh back panel • Side mesh pockets • 2 large front pockets • Side and bottom compression straps • Tuck-away Rain Cover

CONSTRUCTION
• Polyethelene framesheet • 420d Velocity material • Padded waistbelt • Urethane coated zippers • Soft Tricot lining • Hypalon pull-tabs

BEST FIT: MULTIPLE SLR BODIES + LENSES, ACCESSORIES AND GEAR

mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
that is a nice bag!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline coloartist

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
I forgot to mention that the bag is called the Mountainsmith Paragon Camera Bag.     www.mountainsmith.com
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 02:26:59 PM »
If you don't want to spend a bundle, do what I did - go to some local camera stores and just look at their inventory of bags.  I found a *perfect* camera bag for < 50 bucks.  It's nice and big, has adjustable sections and lots of pockets.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline coloartist

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »
The backpack came in real handy, when I was walking around NYC, going to Panic. I stayed in Brooklyn and had to trek to RCMH each day and night, with shopping and eating along the way. It got heavy after a while. If I had to carry it all day without it being on my back, I wouldn't have made it. Most of the time it just goes from my car to the venue, but when you fly to shows, it really comes in handy. It also has an external tripod/umbrella holder on each side. I paid $60.00 wholesale so I assume it is around $100.00.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

BobW

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 07:39:53 PM »
http://www.geeks.com has had a few very good bags at surreal prices.
They've done me righteous several times this year.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 08:11:53 PM »
I just bought this Mountainsmith Camera Pack. It is awesome. I can close it all up in the rain. It has waterproof zippers, and a V3 viewing window on the top.

Are the dividers configurable to form different sized compartments?
Any chance you're willing to snap and post a few pics of the bag with your gear inside, showing each compartment / pocket?

I've had difficulty finding any pics online other than the standard Mountainsmith ones, which aren't very helpful (they don't even show where the window resides).  I'm starting to schlep around 2 full sets of gear.  No, really...I am.  My Mountainsmith Blaze simply won't fit it all.  And while it all fits in my RakGear KickFlip, I'd like a bag with slightly more divisions / pockets for storing gear.  As it is, the KF really only has two big, main compartments so I'm not able to organize my gear very well, it's all just kinda chucked in. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
I went the backpack route.  After a couple weeks researching I finally made a decision and the bag arrived last night.  It's a Targus Pulse (model #RG0315c - Targus bags with RG in the model # incorporate some Rakgear components) and the best deal I found on it was at buy.com for $30.04 w/free shipping.  It has a built-in sleeve for a laptop which I am using to hold the case which contains my mics.  It has several other sections and many pockets including one that holds a jb3 perfectly.  The 14.5"x11"x18.25" dimensions give plenty of room.  It also has thick padded, ergonomic shoulder straps and a waist strap for distributing the load.

The Targus website has basic info, and there's a review here.

If you want to go a little bigger, check out the Targus Matrix, model RG0322.  I also considered:
Ultimate Direction 'Freelance'
REI Alpine pack (3100 cu and currently at REI Outlet for $34.93)
Lowepro EX1300.  Others here say if you're buying a Lowepro, get it from Photococan - an eBay store.

I believe the original Mountainsmith Cairn and Blaze have been discontinued and replaced with the Cairn II and Blaze II.  I couldn't tell you the differences, but Campmor carries them.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline coloartist

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 03:00:10 AM »

Any chance you're willing to snap and post a few pics of the bag with your gear inside, showing each compartment / pocket?

I've had difficulty finding any pics online other than the standard Mountainsmith ones, which aren't very helpful (they don't even show where the window resides).  I'm starting to schlep around 2 full sets of gear.  No, really...I am.  My Mountainsmith Blaze simply won't fit it all.  And while it all fits in my RakGear KickFlip, I'd like a bag with slightly more divisions / pockets for storing gear.  As it is, the KF really only has two big, main compartments so I'm not able to organize my gear very well, it's all just kinda chucked in. 

They can be made to fit everything nice. I definately did some customizing. I will take some photo's, and post them.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 10:55:21 AM »
I went the backpack route.  After a couple weeks researching I finally made a decision and the bag arrived last night.  It's a Targus Pulse (model #RG0315c - Targus bags with RG in the model # incorporate some Rakgear components) and the best deal I found on it was at buy.com for $30.04 w/free shipping.  It has a built-in sleeve for a laptop which I am using to hold the case which contains my mics.  It has several other sections and many pockets including one that holds a jb3 perfectly.  The 14.5"x11"x18.25" dimensions give plenty of room.  It also has thick padded, ergonomic shoulder straps and a waist strap for distributing the load.

The Targus website has basic info, and there's a review here.

If you want to go a little bigger, check out the Targus Matrix, model RG0322.  I also considered:
Ultimate Direction 'Freelance'
REI Alpine pack (3100 cu and currently at REI Outlet for $34.93)
Lowepro EX1300.  Others here say if you're buying a Lowepro, get it from Photococan - an eBay store.

I believe the original Mountainsmith Cairn and Blaze have been discontinued and replaced with the Cairn II and Blaze II.  I couldn't tell you the differences, but Campmor carries them.

in regards to your targus bag... i noticed you said that models with the RG incorporate some rakgear tech... the website says its a 'soft rack'... what the hell is that... i was looking for a RG for a while and saw a few of these, but never made the plunge b/c of the soft rack... i figured i needed a hard rack. 

fwiw, i grabbed an immaculate rakgear off of ebay for 35 shipped.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »
I use the Lowepro Nova 5 AW bag.  The Nova 4 was just a little too small.  Maybe if I had some actives it would be better.

A thread with pics of my setup is here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=42962.0

I always found that most backpack setups seemed to always end up being a mess for me.  I can be setup in 5 minutes flat and broken down in damn near the same time.  The Nova 5 is well laid out.  Not as obvious as a backpack (been turned away at a venue with a 'no backpacks' policy but let in with the nova 5.  )

Another advantage is the rain fly that is built-in.

For mic storage I use these plastic boxes that I lined with some extra foam.  Got them at the Container Store for like $4.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »
check out www.sierratradingpost.com for an assortment of really nice backpacks mostly 40% off ;)

I got a Kelty Redwing last summer for 40-50 bucks, the bag is retailed for 100 :) its nice and padded and has some nice pockets and is really durable, i walked into coventry 10 miles w/ it, was pretty comfortable minus the 100+ pounds of taping gear/clothes/shoes i had in it

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2005, 08:16:43 PM »

DON’T LEAVE THAT EXTRA LENS OR BODY AT HOME; THE BEEFY SUSPENSION SYSTEM ON THIS PACK LETS YOU CARRY IT ALL IN ALL-DAY COMFORT.

FEATURES
• Main panel access • Padded interior compartments for camera gear organization • Simple waistbelt • Top access to SLR caseLeash point for tripod attachment • Large bottom storage area • Airmesh back panel • Side mesh pockets • 2 large front pockets • Side and bottom compression straps • Tuck-away Rain Cover

CONSTRUCTION
• Polyethelene framesheet • 420d Velocity material • Padded waistbelt • Urethane coated zippers • Soft Tricot lining • Hypalon pull-tabs

BEST FIT: MULTIPLE SLR BODIES + LENSES, ACCESSORIES AND GEAR

This bag looks pretty sweet.  If i were getting a new bag i would look into this one.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline ScottT

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 11:40:34 AM »
in regards to your targus bag... i noticed you said that models with the RG incorporate some rakgear tech... the website says its a 'soft rack'... what the hell is that... i was looking for a RG for a while and saw a few of these, but never made the plunge b/c of the soft rack... i figured i needed a hard rack. 

fwiw, i grabbed an immaculate rakgear off of ebay for 35 shipped.

The soft rack is nothing at all like the 'real' rakgear racks.  :-\  It's more of a divider for folders/files (or in my case, cables).  I'm considering picking up the Target shelves for an easier layout, but I'm cool with everything the way it is for now.  I'm a pack rat and like to bring EVERYTHING I could possible need plus extras in case someone else forgets something.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »
can someone give me an idea on what size bag to get?
i see the most common is the Nova 5 but also see lots use the 4

i have akg391 (which i have to figure out how i am going to store/carry those)
UA-5
JB3
Bumblebee VR Box
Walmart battery
15' star quad straight xlr
2 VR cables 18"
Optical cable--prob getting the 3m one
windtech shockmounts
duct tape
minimag light
SVU-x incoming with 3' cable

i have always pref bagpacks and see some of the camera backpacks look nice
i quess my main "problem" is that i am not sure how i will set up the ua5 in any bag and keep things organized
thanks a lot
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 02:41:37 PM »

Pelican 1060. These thins are awesome. I would definitely add some foam to the top though. Good luck on a good bag.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »

Pelican 1060. These thins are awesome. I would definitely add some foam to the top though. Good luck on a good bag.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 06:08:43 PM »

beat me to it ;D
That's right - don't forget the top foam
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:37 PM »
you may want to look at the 1050, I have the 1060, its much deeper than I need for my c4s. You should be able to get by with the 1050, my buddy uses it with some ADK SC-Ts just fine. Double check with your mic specs, but you should be ok with the 1050 and be able to save some space. YMMV
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline willndmb

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:32 PM »
can the top foam be bought at cases4less too or did you guys just get that at a arts and craft store or something?
thanks
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 08:23:03 PM »
can the top foam be bought at cases4less too or did you guys just get that at a arts and craft store or something?
thanks

arts store/crafts store

i believe i have 2 x .5" pieces, so a 1inch piece would be ideal!

spreadheadtom

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 09:21:47 PM »

They can be made to fit everything nice. I definately did some customizing. I will take some photo's, and post them.

post the pics of this...please!

Offline willndmb

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »
thanks

arts store/crafts store

i believe i have 2 x .5" pieces, so a 1inch piece would be ideal!
+t

Offline jdh263

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 09:08:42 PM »
Here's my gear in a targus rackgear

ua-5, wal-mart battery, svu-1, box for mics and windscreens, 15 ft xlr's, headphones, jb3, rca>1/8", optical cable

middle pocket is a md recorder and md's, rca > 1/8" and a minimag

very front pocket is the t-bar and shockmounts

Studio Projects C4 > MiAGi-II Silver Cables > Oade Digimod UA-5 (svu-1) > jb3

SP-CMC-4 > SP-SPSB-1 > jb3

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
Will,

I really think you should go no smaller than a Nova 5, reason...

I had pair 391's (in tupperware which was smaller than pelican), wal mart lith ion, UA-5, 2 jb3's, vert bar, clamp, and 15' mini star quad, and two sabra mounts (easily collapsable) and it barely fit in the bag.  You will have much more stuff, but with some creative packing you should be alright.

For the UA-5 get a white metal shelf that they have for kitchens, the ones with the screens really cheap.  Bend it around like a cage so you can leave the optical cable and the RCA's in the back, then get right angles and leave the front plugged in.

Search Target Rack for what I am talking about.
mics & cameras

Offline willndmb

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »
Will,

I really think you should go no smaller than a Nova 5, reason...

I had pair 391's (in tupperware which was smaller than pelican), wal mart lith ion, UA-5, 2 jb3's, vert bar, clamp, and 15' mini star quad, and two sabra mounts (easily collapsable) and it barely fit in the bag.  You will have much more stuff, but with some creative packing you should be alright.

For the UA-5 get a white metal shelf that they have for kitchens, the ones with the screens really cheap.  Bend it around like a cage so you can leave the optical cable and the RCA's in the back, then get right angles and leave the front plugged in.

Search Target Rack for what I am talking about.

thanks as usual
+t

Offline rockumal

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 11:09:35 PM »
I dunno about backpacks as gear bags.  I've always been paranoid about some security/admin. person getting picky if a policy bans backpacks and not letting me in...

Offline willndmb

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »
I dunno about backpacks as gear bags.  I've always been paranoid about some security/admin. person getting picky if a policy bans backpacks and not letting me in...
what do you use?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »

that almost happened to me last night, the guy at the door told me the backpack (rakgear) would have to go back to the car, i had already been talking to another security guard about getting audio gear in for Scofield, as soon as I got the ok from the venue the door guy didn't care it was a backpack. i can definately understand your aprehension about using a backpack, but I would guess that they would apply the policy to any bag aside from a chicks purse.

i love the rakgear bag though, so much space, yeah its big, but oh so nice to be able to leave everything pretty much set up without worrying about cramping cables or anything like that. plus i prefer having a backpack on while standing in line or walking around with the gear. i would bet no matter which bag you decide on, if it doesn't work for you, someone here would probably take it off your hands. but of course YMMV
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 01:34:49 PM »
oh so nice to be able to leave everything pretty much set up without worrying about cramping cables or anything like that. plus i prefer having a backpack on while standing in line or walking around with the gear.

My Nova 5 has all my gear setup without any cramping of cables at all.  I just plug the battery cable in, fly my mics, plug the xlr's in and i'm golden.  Ready to run in just a couple of minutes depending on how light or dark the room is. 

I have been turned away at a few venues when I ran a friend's rig which was in a backpack and have never has those types of issues with the Nova 5.  It is fairly small and compact has a comfortable should strap and you can even order the backpack style should straps for very little.  I always found when running a backpack style bag that it enevitably always became a mess and I had to spent time that I didn't want to to clean the bag up when I got home.

Another positive about the Nova 5 is that it fits perfectly sideways in the narrowest of arena/shed/stadium seats.  Also it has a built in rain fly to keep you gear dry from rain/beer/drunks.   

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
I'm gonna try the Mountainsmith Vibe II lumbar pack for stealthing - haven't seen it in person yet, but it looks like it should fit:

Jukebox 3
AD-20
Soundpro Battery Box
SVU-1
PowerRunner 2300

Anyone seen this?
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com