Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wind noise  (Read 4567 times)

Offline jebi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
wind noise
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:04:42 PM »
hey there,

so i taped an outside show a couple nights ago with a pair of 184's.   I set up FOB dead ce nterabout 50 yards from the stage.   It was windy out..but nothing crazy.   My audio sounds pretty bad.  The wind actually sounds like a bass.

i also ran an At-822 mic on stage with a camera.  I have No problem with wind noise on this .  But the audio is not good because i was running around with the camera.

question..can/will wind blowing your XLR cables cause this windy bass sound? 

what should i do next time it is windY?

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
Re: wind noise
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:46:08 PM »
use wind screens
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline jebi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 07:02:06 PM »
use wind screens

i used the stock windscreens...they didnt work good enough

any sugestions on a good windscreen for neumann 184's?

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
the 184's are extremely sensitive to wind and the stock windscreens are worthless... as you found out.

the Shure A81WS almost stand up to hurricane force... but they're HUGE. Others have had success with DPA windscreens.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 11:10:45 PM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:54:08 AM »
the 184's are extremely sensitive to wind and the stock windscreens are worthless... as you found out.

the Shure A81WS almost stand up to hurricane force... but they're HUGE. Others have had success with DPA windscreens.

I've found that for outdoors it's the shures all the way.  i've gotten wind noise with dpa's when it wasn't "that" windy.  I use the dpa's for indoors.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:18:20 AM »
Yep... the big ass shures is what you want.  Much better than the stock screens for any brand I have seen.  Compared to the stock that came with some of my AKG caps the difference is almost laughable.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 08:56:31 AM »
The shures are BIG because they leave a very large void of air space around the capsule.. That air space is intended to prevent the screen from impacting sound...  Also, the foam in the shure's is REALLY nice.  It is a fine texture but very transmissive.

It would be interesting to hear some comps between none, dpa and the big shure.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »
stock foams and DeadRats

^^what he said
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 08:27:40 PM »

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:13 PM »
crap. I just wind ruin a recording today. this thread jinxed me. The worst part is that the only other time this has happen as bad as today was with the same artist at berkfest 2003. Both shows I was the only taper. The artist is kaki king. I had km184 with the big neumann windscreans. The weather has been bad for a few days. today was cloudy and a little windy. I engaged the full hpf on my V3 too. I guess I'll have to look into upgrading sometime. fark!

When you say dead rat are you talking about the rycote screens? That is not a brand name right?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:01:27 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:36:21 AM »

When you say dead rat are you talking about the rycote screens? That is not a brand name right?

very similar.  dead rats are the homebrew version  ;)  If you don't know how to sew or don't feel like making them, darkstarjedi is making them to order.  See his link in the yard sale.  He made mine and I couldn't be happier.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »
  The wind actually sounds like a bass.

Which is why I use the hpf filter in very windy situations. It definately helps to reduce wind rumble.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
Which is why I use the hpf filter in very windy situations. It definately helps to reduce wind rumble.

Yesterday I had the big neumann windscreens and the HPF1 (v3) engaged and my audience tape is fuct.

I had no luck finding the retail thread about dead rats. can anyone aim me to it?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »

Yesterday I had the big neumann windscreens and the HPF1 (v3) engaged and my audience tape is fuct.

I had no luck finding the retail thread about dead rats. can anyone aim me to it?

1st page of the yard  ;)  ;D  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52178.0

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

I usually use hpf2 on my v3 for wind rumble. I think it just cuts the extreme low end.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 02:01:37 PM »
I usually use hpf2 on my v3 for wind rumble. I think it just cuts the extreme low end.

Right. The jumpers can be changed to vary the slope and frequency a bit. Basically I was setting up during the first band, big screens no hpf. I saw the levels going up when there was mild wind so I knew I was getting too much wind. I put it on hpf2 and hit record, rolled it back and was still getting some wind noise. I kicked it into hpf1 and thought that did the trick. Then after the show I rolled some back and found some spot where the music is just about cut off completly from the diaphrams being molested by the wind. Bugger. As I said I don't record outside all that often and the big screens have been enough in the past on milder days. Oh well.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »
clinton,  if you are even remotely handy with the needle and thread make your own!  roll to joe anne fabrics or michaels crafts or something similar and pick up the thickest fake fur you can find.  wrap it loose around your screens and stich up the side or sides.  done.  for like three bucks.  On second thought I have some extra material...  PM me and I'll send you some to make your own.

Kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com