Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which bag size for my rig?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Horrorcollie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
which bag size for my rig?
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
hi,
soon i´m going to own my first own stealth rig, i can not wait to record the first show!  i have a rockboxed iriver h320 and will order the church audio st-9100 preamp and the church cards. i´ll need an additional battery pack for the iriver, since wav recording is not very battery friendly...
now i do not know, what size of a bag would be suitable for my needs, because of lacking experience, i can´t tell what else should go in that bag. i found the lowepro stealth reporter bags very interesting, but there are so many sizes, don´t know with which i should go. now i think the 200 would be enough, but i know me...in three months i´ll be grown out of that bag.
please let me know what a reasoneable bag would be-thanks
simon

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
Re: which bag size for my rig?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:47:28 PM »
maybe a fanny pack?  i dont stealth but personally i would look for a bag that is not very conspicuous.  those lowepro stealth reporters look like something that you would hold professional gear in.  a fanny pack looks like an old guys wallet holder.  just my .02
good luck +t for the new hobby
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline Horrorcollie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:24 PM »
hey thanks for the quick answer. how pro these bags look is something i have not thought about...i think you could be right on that- but i still want more space than in a usual fanny bag. maybe a backpack like the lowepro orion aw is a solution?i could store rainjacket and stuff in the upper part and the recording gear way down, right?
i´m thankful for every recommendation on a bag that´s good for my purposes. shouldn´t cost more than 150 dollars though, after all the rec stuff i can´t really afford something more expensive.
simon

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »
that lowepro orion, i assume you're talking about the one i have for sale, would be like taking car into the theatre to hold your stuff.  my rig has been used to stealth shows by some people and its too large for my taste.  the inside of the camera bag is large.  you could fit a shoe box in it no problem 
here are two that i considered buying.  i still don't have a bag that i am comfortable with.  i use to own a nova 4 that fit everything perfectly, but thats when my rig was a tad larger, ua-5/jb3 combo.

http://www.rei.com/product/614103
http://www.rei.com/product/720994
maybe ebay fannypack or small camera bag.

on a second thought, if you're stealthing i would assume if you came in with a bag they would search in?  how do you stealthers out there store your gear before you walk in?  don't know if this is taboo information for public forums so you might want to continue it in PMs if someone can give you mroe information
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »
I just picked up a great waist pack at walmart for $10.  I found it around the baggage isle.  It is small and will hold everything you need plus more.  I'm going to pants my gear through security and transfer it to the waist pack when i get inside. I'm using dpa4061's>st-9100>sbm1>h120 everything fits perfectly.  Here are some pics.

I'm going to be recording a lot of metal shows with this setup, I might also buy some card's and run two rigs at once, im not shure.
Hope this helped.
Venue Security: Let me see your identification.
TheMaestro: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.
Venue Security: We don't need to see his identification.
TheMaestro: This isn't the recording equipment you're looking for.
Venue Security: This isn't the recording equipment we're looking for.
TheMaestro: He can go about his business.
Venue Security: You can go about your business.
TheMaestro: Move along.
Venue Security: Move along... move along.

Offline Horrorcollie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:52:28 AM »
you helped me big time! you are using a rig really close to mine, so your bag would be perfect for me also.could you write me the measurements, so i can look for a similar one?
thank you both so much!-simon

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »
Maestro,  You make that SONY 7pin-TOSlink head pictured in your avatar?  That thing is no-yce!  You selling those or have a picture of the innards?

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »
you helped me big time! you are using a rig really close to mine, so your bag would be perfect for me also.could you write me the measurements, so i can look for a similar one?
thank you both so much!-simon
Hey, no problem.  I'll get you the measurements after work later tonight.  It is a great pack.  If you want one I'd buy you one and ship it to you for $15.

Maestro,  You make that SONY 7pin-TOSlink head pictured in your avatar?  That thing is no-yce!  You selling those or have a picture of the innards?
Yeah, I made the 7pin to TOSlink in my avatar.  I can't take a picture of the innards-due to it being epoxied shut, but it's pretty straightforward.  I have a couple 7pins left that I could make you one with.  I could also give you more information on building it too, if you'd like that.  It's just a tedious process, you will need to modify the shape of the toslink connector.  There is a lot of grinding and filing that will need to be done.  Here's another thread about it: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81455.0.html
If you have any other questions, just hit me up with a pm.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:43:52 PM by TheMaestro »
TheMaestro: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »
I've always snuck gear in with a arm sling. Just wrap the gear to your arm with a ace bandage. Then put your arm in the sling.

Nobody will mess with your hurt arm.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 01:50:07 PM »
Here are the rough measurments.

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »
teach me those sick photo shop techniques!  ;D
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
Sounds crazy, but for the longest time I just kept my stealth rig in a Crown Royal Bag which you can tie off and "crotch" when needed. You can also look around at places like Best Buy for nice small camera bags in the $20-$25 range.

Good luck!
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:22:28 PM »
I don't doing stealthing just open taping but how is a bag going to help you get any thing in to a place when there are going to look in it. I would like to know? You can just put the iriver h320 in your hand and put the mic's and small pre some place that they don't hit when they pat you down. They can't say a thing about the iriver it is a mp3 player. Witch you can bring in any way. Then go in the b-room and set the hole thing up.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Horrorcollie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
thank you so much for your help! the photoshop work was really cool, i´ll find a matching bag now! i´ll let you know , what it´s gonna be...bl6216@yahoo.com: i need a bag anyway, to transport the rig, no matter if i´m intending to stealth or not, i think it´s just practical that way, you have everything handy and don´t have to hold the player in your hand for a full 2 hour concert...i think with your hands free, your much less obvious than holding the player the whole time.

thanks-simon

Offline TheMaestro

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »
teach me those sick photo shop techniques!  ;D
heh, it would have taken photoshop longer to start up, than the time it took me to throw those on with paint ;D
thank you so much for your help! the photoshop work was really cool, i´ll find a matching bag now! i´ll let you know , what it´s gonna be...bl6216@yahoo.com: i need a bag anyway, to transport the rig, no matter if i´m intending to stealth or not, i think it´s just practical that way, you have everything handy and don´t have to hold the player in your hand for a full 2 hour concert...i think with your hands free, your much less obvious than holding the player the whole time.

thanks-simon
hope you can find a matching bag that is suitable
I've always snuck gear in with a arm sling. Just wrap the gear to your arm with a ace bandage. Then put your arm in the sling.

Nobody will mess with your hurt arm.
I'm taping a stealth show on monday and I planned on pantsing all my stuff.  I've changed my mind.  This will be less work.  Thanks for reminding me of that technique

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com