Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-BMC-12 Question  (Read 2479 times)

Offline eric51078

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP-BMC-12 Question
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
Hi Everyone!
I have the SP-BMC-12 mics and the SP-SPSB-10 bass roll-off thing. I have never used it before and I will be recording a fairly loud concert tomorrow now. I am just confused as to what I should have the roll-off settings set to. I went to a local bar and recorded a very very loud bassy band and I had my settings set to: 160HZ...but I am going to be in a venue that holds no more than 1000 people and I am sitting right up against the soundboard...all advice would be great...I personally don't trust the advice of the guy at SP.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-BMC-12 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »
I am curious why you do not trust the guy at SP.  I would think he would know what he is tlkaing about.  What put you off him/her?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »
i would use the same setting ...160Hz.
had the sp-bmc-6 mics in the past.
it was ok using 160Hz at loud bassy funk/rock shows.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:43:17 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »
Hi Everyone!
I have the SP-BMC-12 mics and the SP-SPSB-10 bass roll-off thing. I have never used it before and I will be recording a fairly loud concert tomorrow now. I am just confused as to what I should have the roll-off settings set to. I went to a local bar and recorded a very very loud bassy band and I had my settings set to: 160HZ...but I am going to be in a venue that holds no more than 1000 people and I am sitting right up against the soundboard...all advice would be great...I personally don't trust the advice of the guy at SP.

If someone at SP says put it at 160hz I would have to assume they know what they are talking about since they are the ones that made the product in the first place :)

160 sounds high but at only 6db per octave its not that much attenuation between 160hz and 100hz anyway the real attenuation is happening at 20-60hz. right where you want it for a loud show.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline eric51078

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 11:09:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!
He never told me what to set my settings to.
A friend recommended the mics...the guy at SP recommended things to me that could not use...
I have just been fiddling with the settings and tomorrow is my first real show...I just didnt want too much bass :)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:16:32 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!
He never told me what to set my settings to.
A friend recommended the mics...the guy at SP recommended things to me that could not use...
I have just been fiddling with the settings and tomorrow is my first real show...I just didnt want too much bass :)

I would start off with 100hz my self and then if you need to subtract more do it in post on your computer its better to record a little to much bass then to lop it all off and have nothing left to work with.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline eric51078

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:03:32 AM »
Very interesting....

Thanks Chris!! I will let you know tomorrow how I make out!

Offline eric51078

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
Well I am super pleased with my results...I left the settings on 160HZ...and there were a few bassy spots but nothing I can't deal with...I was about 15 rows back...very loud show but great results :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com