Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which of these mics would you recommend?  (Read 7102 times)

Offline brsox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Which of these mics would you recommend?
« on: November 21, 2003, 07:27:54 PM »
just getting started w/ this hobby and I have a low budget...I'll probably get one of these: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4S cardioid mics OR Sony ECM-DS70P....what do you experienced tapers recommend?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Which of these mics would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 09:21:02 PM »
sound pro over the plug-n-play sony POS

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 09:25:23 PM »
first, of the 2 choices you presented, I would say go with the SP-CMC-4.  Way better mics.

Second, you might want to consider the SP-CMC-2 also.  The CMC-2 and CMC-4 are almost the same except the CMC-4 can come with different capsules making it more versatile, however, if you want to use the cardiod capsule, SP-CMC-2s will run you $50 less.

you will also want to pick up the SP-SPSB-1 slimline battery box, this provides phantom power to the SP mics.  I recommend the adjustable bass filter option with this unit.

Offline brsox

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 10:02:25 PM »
thanks for the advice

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 10:35:31 PM »
sure thing, don't be afraid to post anymore questions

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 11:13:25 PM »
solid advice. pay heed.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 01:04:13 AM »

you will also want to pick up the SP-SPSB-1 slimline battery box, this provides phantom power to the SP mics.  I recommend the adjustable bass filter option with this unit.

I wouldn't get the slimline battery box... need a tiny screw driver to open it... nothing worse than being at a show you want to record, battery is dead/dislodged, and you can't open it to fix it...

So my advice, is that you will be sacrificing a small amount of 'stealthness' but I would recommend one of the battery boxes that can be opened w/o a screwdriver...  they are a little larger, but I think they are cheaper too.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 01:06:58 AM »
Forgot to mention - the slimline uses a somewhat uncommon 9v battery that you really can't go to any store and buy...  I had to order a bunch of them, but SP had the best deal...  just make sure you have them on hand...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 01:22:19 AM »
Hey pfife, why don't you just keep the battery box closed with a rubber band and toss the screws like I did?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 01:22:55 AM »
Hey pfife, why don't you just keep the battery box closed with a rubber band and toss the screws like I did?

Yeah, ditto...worked great for me, too.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 01:23:33 AM »
Forgot to mention - the slimline uses a somewhat uncommon 9v battery that you really can't go to any store and buy...  I had to order a bunch of them, but SP had the best deal...  just make sure you have them on hand...

Huh?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 01:25:27 AM »

Huh?
I never had a problem running standard 9v batts in my slimline.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2003, 02:12:19 AM »
i'm with the weirdos above, I usually have armen's battery box in my back pocket, no screws needed as it stays shut by itself back there, a rubber band is a good idea too tho.  There is also an option to get a hinged box if you aren't down with the rubberband technique.

As for the battery, the particular model I mentioned, the SP-SPSB-1, takes regular 9V batteries, I haven't tried rechargables.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2003, 10:16:30 AM »
Here's what was happening with the battery box I got from Sound Professionals, which uses this battery (click on the pic):

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-MINI-9V&type=store&category=310

I was using it with a rubber band, but the battery would continuously become dislodged in the box - I was able to open it when I had a rubber band around it, and fix it, but the entire time I was worried about the battery becoming dislodged, and thus not power the mics, which meant I had to hold it perfectly steady.

I attributed this repeated battery dislodging to the fact that I had a rubber band holding it, and not having it screwed closed - there is a peice of foam on the bottom of the holder, and I though, for some reason that the foam was not holding the battery in the correct spot.  SO I put the screw back in.

THen the battery became dislodged in there, even when I had it screwed in.  NEeded a screwdriver, didn't have one...

My opinion is that if the battery is in there, and it is assembled as Sound Professionals desires, and the battery keeps popping out of place, it's a peice of trash.  I have lost many recordings with my particular battery box b/c of this, rubberbanded or screwed.

My advice, based on my personal experience, is to get one that doesn't screw closed, and doesnt need a rubber band instead;  I would also advise to get one that uses a standard 9v battery that has a little wire going to the battery (like almost everything else) so if the battery moves in the box a little, you still have a connection...

HTH-

Pfife

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 10:30:41 AM »
Here is a pic of my slimline box, so you can see what I am talking about w/ the battery and what not...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com