Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)  (Read 94201 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New TS-2 Preamp ... under development (part II)
« Reply #300 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »
FWIW - The Pre-Amp "Card" depected above is just a pre-amp.   You could build yourself your own Headphone amp connected to the output of this card if you wanted.

Again I would never do so, but it could be done.

Microphone positioning, checking for noises/distractions that you can't hear with your own ears (not all music recording is loud)..

I don't think what you hear in the headphones prior to the band playing should make much of a difference on mic positioning (esp if you run DIN/DINa/ORTF/NOS - or "point them just outside the stacks")  Also from my experience 99% of noise/distractions are completely variable with time of the show (i.e. temperature, humidity, the annoying loud mouth beside you that you ask to move or moves with the crowd, etc)

I am in the belief that you "set it and forget it!!!"  work it out in post or find another source if the FU outside your domain is that bad. And if you are the only source and it is that bad (i.e. old DAT DO or something) then... shit happens!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:22:06 AM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #301 on: November 28, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
I am in the belief that you "set it and forget it!!!"  work it out in post or find another source if the FU outside your domain is that bad. And if you are the only source and it is that bad (i.e. old DAT DO or something) then... shit happens!

I have to agree.  I don't really consider a headphone amp to be integral to the recording experience.  In those instances when I had access to it and I could hear the headphones during the show, it was kinda fun to check the headphone sound now and then just to hear what you're getting.

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #302 on: November 28, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »

I have been taping for over 7 years and have never used them!  If you don't know how to make good recordings by using the level indicators on your equipment then IMO you should find another hobby!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:07:04 AM by George2 »
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2008, 05:53:38 PM »
I don't really see a need for a phones jack on a mic preamp, but I do find it valuable to monitor from the recorder for some situations though certainly not all of them or every time.  Getting things just right is more than just monitoring levels on a VU or peak meter.  I've used highly isolating in-ear monitors to tweak critically spaced omni spread and height and small changes in both dimensions were quite audible in the field.  I probably would have been happy with the recordings without doing so, but sometimes it's that 9th 10th that really nails it. I learned a lot by doing that, basically reducing the record > take it home & listen > record with a slight change feedback loop to an instantaneous, though less precise reiteration.

I don't do that regularly nearly as often as I used to now that I'm more familiar with what to expect from various changes and obviously sometimes it's not practical given the situation.  As amateur live recordists we often find setups that work consistently, sound good and aren't too much of a hassle to set-up given the considerable constraints under which we do our thing. But monitoring can be a very valuable tool to check what the mics hear.  Can you imagine a professional recordist making a purist stereo recording without monitoring the recording to tweak the mic setup?  It's very challenging to get everything sounding just right even with monitors set up in an isolated remote room.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
A headphone circuit and jack would be a nice option. You would need to have a switch to turn it off to save power. Maybe it could be a piggyback circuit board and users could add it as an extra. Save $$ for the ones who don't.

In situations where you can control the mic placement and have a quiet enough environment to listen it would be very useful. Also, I think people recording wildlife could use a battery powered mic pre with a headphone option.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
I'm not convinced that a head phone amp needs to be built into the pre-amp. I use the headphone jack out of my recorder. When I have the space, I use a small portable headphone amp.

But, I do feel strongly about taking and using headphones to any recording session.
Would you take pictures without looking through the view finder?
At the very least I check to make sure I'm getting a clean signal to the recorder by listening through headphones after getting set up.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #306 on: December 01, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

Yes.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #307 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »

Yes.

Yeah, actually me too, but I do like to assure myself when recording, that I am getting a good clean signal.'
YMMV...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
Yes.

All the time? 

Like monitoring an audio recording, the viewfinder or LCD display is a useful tool that you can choose to use or not depending on the situation.

[edit- some of my best shots are from the hip, others are all about perfect framing]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:32:37 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
Sorry to Hijack the thread on a head phone amp.  ;D

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline chris319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
With condenser mics drawing phantom power and a headphone amp drawing current, how long do you expect the batteries to last?

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
Have any been finished and sent out yet ? Just curious for a field report ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
That's the voice of experience talking.  ;)

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »
hey fivefish
just wondering what type of connector you put on your preamp for dc power.
thanks
ed

This one...

Switchcraft DC locking jack

'Don't know why I just thought of this, but for powering the TS-2 will we be able to easily find the mate to this jack at our local RatShacks?  My guess is no and that would require us to track down a $2 item on line and often times that's hard depending on who sells them, minimum orders and all.  Any chance the male counterpart could be made part of the rig?  Thanks

... Oh, and I'm saving my money to by this instead of getting Christmas gifts for my family... if it's available before then.   ;)

i  will be making power cables for the ts-2,  i have the specs and proper connectors on order.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »
Got the Blue prototype panel issues resolved with the factory...

Presenting.... TS-2 Mic Preamp - True Blue Version

Just checking in and wishing for a "True Blue" Xmas...

:headphones:

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com