Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX "de-rustling" plugin  (Read 3442 times)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
iZotope RX "de-rustling" plugin
« on: September 23, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »
Last night I recorded an acoustic set at an medieval church. All great - except that, at some random points during the set, the mic cables were rubbing against my duvet jacket. This resulted in some random rustling noises. I know that RX Advanced has a "De-rustle" plugin and Acoustica also promises something similar with their DeNoise2 plugin. (Except this appears to be geared towards spoken word recordings and not music and I can't get it working properly.)

Does anybody have any experience with this feature in RX and is it worth upgrading from "Standard" to "Advanced"? I think this would be the only feature I'm interested in.

Short sample available here:
https://we.tl/t-SjHKor5Ura

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: iZotope RX "de-rustling" plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »
I only have RX 7 Standard so I don't know how De-Rustle would work. However, you can find an example of De Rustle here:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/examples.html

Scroll down to the last example for an audio sample.

Thing is - the example shows how De Rustle is working in a voice track with no other sound in the background. So applying De Rustle universally to a music sample such as yours would make me wonder what other anomalies you'd be introducing since the background music is more varied than the simple voice track in the Izotope example.

If you have to adjust and apply the De Rustle module to each occurrence, it seems to me you could get a reasonably acceptable cleanup by finding the rustle in Spectral view, highlighting it and using the harmonics tool to then apply the Spectral Repair tool to either replace or attenuate the rustle.

You can also try downloading a trial of RX Advanced and see if the results meet your needs. Although I used the above manual method to see how it worked on your sample, it seemed pretty acceptable to my ears but it's a labor intensive procedure to manually locate every instance of rustle and repair.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions.

I had another go at the equivalent feature in Acoustica Pro and it would eventually remove most of the rustling sounds - but also some of the music.
So, you may be right on the "voice track only" use case.

Better to prevent the issue from happening in the first place and leave that jacket at home in the future.

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 03:32:57 AM »
Izotope offers free trial versions: why not D/L RX9 and give the de-rustle plugin a whirl?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
Unless the rustle is clear and not accompanied by a lot of other music within that same frequency and/or spectrum range, one has to be careful using RX7, as it may wipe out music frequencies along with the rustle.  I recommend clipping a 30 second segment(s) of rustles and trying it out using various settings, although there are only two, reduction strength and ambiance preservation. 

If the music is important, you could make a 30 second clip of rustles and I could give it a try for you. 

Like I said, there are only two settings.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com