Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 109041 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »
I was just running realistic levels from the tv, thats why mine was at max. I have no clue where it'll be for the RAQ NYE run yet ;D

It is important to consider that the phantom voltage will decrease as the voltage from the batteries drops. With fresh batteries my memory says it is around 52 volts (but that is unloaded).

So I'd consider the potential for low phantom voltage related distortion before the gain stage stops outputting a signal. I'm sure it depends on the mics but testing at low SPLs in the home may not give the whole story.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
So Bean, how do you like the AERCO you borrowed?

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »
I was just running realistic levels from the tv, thats why mine was at max. I have no clue where it'll be for the RAQ NYE run yet ;D

It is important to consider that the phantom voltage will decrease as the voltage from the batteries drops. With fresh batteries my memory says it is around 52 volts (but that is unloaded).

So I'd consider the potential for low phantom voltage related distortion before the gain stage stops outputting a signal. I'm sure it depends on the mics but testing at low SPLs in the home may not give the whole story.

Yeah, I thought that would be a possibility. I use the three internal 9V's as a backup if the external runs low. Jerry said there would be a switchover to internal power if the external voltage reached a minimum allowable limit.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #213 on: January 04, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »
Well, I'm on board.  Ordered an Aerco a few days ago, so now I get to play the waiting game.  It's OK though.  Good quality is worth the wait.

FWIW, Jerry's up to a 2 month backlog or lead time.  

After reading through this entire thread a couple times, I considered a couple options...

First I thought about going with the stereo master level and balance control, but those are pots and that kinda defeats the purpose of staying away from pots and keeping the box the highest build quality possible, so I opted for switches...0 - 50 db of course.  Besides, going with pots eliminates the 1/8 connector and while that's probably not a big deal, it is a 'nice to have'.

Then I thought about going Beans favored route of eliminating the internal batteries in favor of some XLR outs, but decided it's not a big deal to use external RCA > XLR cables.

Finally, thought about asking for locking power connector, but decided that keeping it simple (and thus keeping my options open for maximum compatibility with external power connectors/cables) would be a better option for me.  

So, in the end, I just ended up ordering the stock model with no mods whatsoever.  

My decisions also considered keeping the box generic in case of the need for resale.  Frankly, I don't see that happening though.  I think the Aerco will be a REALLY nice partner with my new Neumann 140's.  Might even make the AK50's sound better...without a doubt it would fatten them up a little.

Anyhow, now it's hang loose and look forward to getting it!

Take it easy, gang.

Steve

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #214 on: January 04, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
Well, I'm on board.  Ordered an Aerco a few days ago, so now I get to play the waiting game.  It's OK though.  Good quality is worth the wait.

2 months Jerry time probably means it may be done by the end of July.  If you're lucky.   :P

stevetoney

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »

2 months Jerry time probably means it may be done by the end of July.  If you're lucky.   :P

Whatever...the thread title says 1 month and he told me 2 months, so I was just trying to give a little feedback.  I guess it will be whatever it will be. 

Realistically speaking though, people that are considering ordering need to realize that this is NOT his occupation, but a hobby so life comes first. 

High quality at low cost is worth the wait.  Oade's pre-amps cost double what the Aerco costs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:17:17 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:52 AM »

Whatever...the thread title says 1 month and he told me 2 months, so I was just trying to give a little feedback.  I guess it will be whatever it will be. 

Realistically speaking though, people that are considering ordering need to realize that this is NOT his occupation, but a hobby so life comes first. 

High quality at low cost is worth the wait.  Oade's pre-amps cost double what the Aerco costs.

I think you take my comments too seriously - it's Friday night and I'm tracking out shows beer in hand.  I have heard there have been some long waits from sending in cash to receiving the pre. 

stevetoney

« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2008, 04:51:52 AM »

I think you take my comments too seriously - it's Friday night and I'm tracking out shows beer in hand.  I have heard there have been some long waits from sending in cash to receiving the pre. 

I know.  I was just responding for the sake of Jerry since this thread seems to be a pseudo official 'everything you wanted to know about the Aerco' thread.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2008, 07:38:43 AM »
Congrats! You'll enjoy it!

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
Yeah, Jerry teaches at a school for the deaf, so this is just a side job he does for his enjoyment. I just sent in mine for some work with the hope of getting it back before festival season.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »
Jerry seems to be an interesting guy - I have emailed him quite a bit.  It would be a bit more helpful if he could be more realistic about timing.  My rule of thumb is estimate how long it will take to do something and then double it.... I would probably apply this to anything Jerry says.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »
If you're gonna order one, now is the best time.  Have it in time for the Spring tours.   ;) 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »
Learned something new tonight:  Run the Aerco wide open.  Gets it over line level for all the little recorders.  White Noise virtually disappears when run this way. 

Can I get a do-over for '07?    Gosh that year sucked.  :banging head:

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2008, 06:38:42 AM »

Yes it did, and I never want to do it over  :-X
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
Learned something new tonight:  Run the Aerco wide open.  Gets it over line level for all the little recorders.  White Noise virtually disappears when run this way. 

Confused... do you mean run at 0 db gain?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com