Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 109046 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
Learned something new tonight:  Run the Aerco wide open.  Gets it over line level for all the little recorders.  White Noise virtually disappears when run this way. 

Can I get a do-over for '07?    Gosh that year sucked.  :banging head:

Confused... do you mean run at 0 db gain?

Wide open.. Hmm...  Maybe he's running it with the cover off :P

Nice!   :laugh:

Mine actually doesn't have stickers on it.  So I don't really know what I'm running at.  My guess is I've been wagging the dog:  setting the R09 to unity, then adjust the Aerco accordingly.

My tests have proved that's incorrect.  Aerco needs to be cranked up to get over line-level in the R09.  If not, you can definitely hear audible hiss in the recording.  I found this to be true by cranking the Aerco all the way and just recording the room.  I was testing out different recorders at the time.  By upping the gain until hiss diminishes to nil, one would then adjust the R09 for the incoming signal to get proper levels.  Hence, dog (Aerco) wags tail (R09).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:10:45 PM by spyder9 »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »
That's still kinda confusing.  I mostly run my aerco with a 722 and only rarely with the r09.  I tend to run the 722 gain at 0 dB, just as I do when running any pre-amp with it (v3, bg1). A 722 at 0 will take a pretty hot signal (about -19dBFS, I think), a fair bit hotter than an r09 at 8, I think.

So what trim setting have you been running the r09 at (before and now)?  In the "what is unity?" threads I've repeatedly asked "what sounds best?", hoping to generate some interest in determining that.  But folks seemed more focused on a nebulous unity number. I tend to run the r09 at setting 8.  Going much below that causes bass distortion in my bench testing.

Maybe with your serial number Jerry could tell you what gain each detent should be?  I have a 0-50 model so it is 0, 10, 20, etc.

I run the gain on the aerco at pretty much the same setting I'd use with a v3, etc.  Though the output from the aerco is a bit lower than a v3 because of the unbalanced outputs vs. balanced.  On the 722 I tend to strive for peaks of about -12dBFS to -8dBFS. I typically need to add about 6 to 8dB in post to bring the peaks up to 0.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
... so what level have you been running the R-09 at?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
I bought mine from musicsherlock (Christian)  Its on page 3 of this thread.

My Aerco has a gain scheme of 0 12 24 30 36 42.  I've been running it at 12-24, which proves to amplify white noise in my R09.  R09 is set at 8.  When I set the Aerco at 36, hiss goes away.  (shrugs)   :-\

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,56579.30.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:22:30 PM by spyder9 »

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
I bought mine from musicsherlock (Christian)  Its on page 3 of this thread.

My Aerco has a gain scheme of 0 12 24 30 36 42.  I've been running it at 24-30, which proves to amplify white noise in my R09.  R09 is set at 8.  When I set the Aerco at 36, hiss goes away.  (shrugs)   :-\

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,56579.30.html

Weird.  Any idea why?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »
None.  Been thinking of sending it in to Jerry for a once over.  Might do it in the middle of March, in hopes it comes back for Allman NYC run. 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »
Seems like it might be useful to do a recording with your aerco>r09 (without mics) where you start at min gain on the aerco and click up the gain range...  and then analyze the s/n to see if any settings are troublesome. And maybe another recording where you increase the gain on the r09 to make sure the noise builds fairly linearly as gain is added. You could try doing it without mics or maybe with a resistor load.

In the gain ranges you've mentioned your aerco should be really quiet.. The only thing that should cause noise is adding too much gain in the r09 (unless something is not working right). I did some tests a long while ago and my aerco is about as quiet as the v3.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
Just got an email from Jerry today. Said he'd have mine fixed on Feb. 4th as he has the day off then. I've noticed that I had to run my gain high with the R-09 also, about +40 db to +45db to get decent levels on the R-09. This was before I sent it into Jerry. I also had probs with the balance control not working, so we'll see what I get with both issues once I get it back. I'll be using it for Levon Helm Band (former singer/drummer of The Band) on Mar. 1st, so we'll see how it goes.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2008, 11:10:49 AM »
Just got an email from Jerry today. Said he'd have mine fixed on Feb. 4th as he has the day off then. I've noticed that I had to run my gain high with the R-09 also, about +40 db to +45db to get decent levels on the R-09. This was before I sent it into Jerry. I also had probs with the balance control not working, so we'll see what I get with both issues once I get it back. I'll be using it for Levon Helm Band (former singer/drummer of The Band) on Mar. 1st, so we'll see how it goes.

I wonder what Jerry will manage to get done that day.  He said he'd be finishing mine as well (on order since September).

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
Well hopefully he can do both. Mine is just a repair as opposed to a full build. I'd also hope that he has some of yours done by now at least. September until Feb is a long time to wait, so I do understand your frustration. I had ordered mine on Mar. 17 St. Patricks day last year, I received it through much coercion the Thursday before I was to leave for Mtn Jam the last weekend in May. Long waits seem to be par for the course when dealing with these units, but your wait seems exceptionally long I must admit. Jerry works as a teacher in a school for the deaf so he doesn't get to work on them full time as would be the case in most situations I can say that. I hope you get yours soon because they are great pre-amps.

+T for your patience.  ;)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »

Did you guys have to pre pay for these? 

I was thinking of ordering one, but if I have to prepay and wait a year I guess I might not.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Well hopefully he can do both. Mine is just a repair as opposed to a full build. I'd also hope that he has some of yours done by now at least. September until Feb is a long time to wait, so I do understand your frustration. I had ordered mine on Mar. 17 St. Patricks day last year, I received it through much coercion the Thursday before I was to leave for Mtn Jam the last weekend in May. Long waits seem to be par for the course when dealing with these units, but your wait seems exceptionally long I must admit. Jerry works as a teacher in a school for the deaf so he doesn't get to work on them full time as would be the case in most situations I can say that. I hope you get yours soon because they are great pre-amps.

+T for your patience.  ;)

Hey guys - I know all about what Jerry does, etc.  We're all busy, I know, because I work a real job as well and have a couple hobbies/volunteer efforts on the side.  I have a message from Jerry saying he will complete it this weekend.  If it's not complete, and someone else's gets serviced, well that's reason to be upset and disappointed.  

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

I was thinking of ordering one, but if I have to prepay and wait a year I guess I might not.

Prepay.  It might be okay if you order these towards the end of the school year (May in TX?).  I would guess that Jerry is more available to build these in the summer.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »

Prepay.  It might be okay if you order these towards the end of the school year (May in TX?).  I would guess that Jerry is more available to build these in the summer.

Probably why mine was done in a ~2 month time frame (August 2, 2007 to Sept. 20, 2007).

Sucks that you guys have to wait so long, but it really is an excellent pre. I had buyers remorse more than a few times while I was waiting, but it was all worth it in the end.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
Seems like it might be useful to do a recording with your aerco>r09 (without mics) where you start at min gain on the aerco and click up the gain range...  and then analyze the s/n to see if any settings are troublesome. And maybe another recording where you increase the gain on the r09 to make sure the noise builds fairly linearly as gain is added. You could try doing it without mics or maybe with a resistor load.

In the gain ranges you've mentioned your aerco should be really quiet.. The only thing that should cause noise is adding too much gain in the r09 (unless something is not working right). I did some tests a long while ago and my aerco is about as quiet as the v3.

My bad.  I just checked and I've been actually running gain mostly at 12, once in a while 24.  That's what happens when you don't have markings to go by. 

Taping tonight.  Will set the Aerco at 30 and adjust R09 accordingly.  As for the 30 setting, I checked out a show I did this fall, Mule 10/07/07 Schenectady where I ran the Nak 1000's out front.  Had the Aerco set at 30, and by gosh it was the best recording I made last year.  I hate discovering crap like this.........   :-[ 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com