Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Internals: DR2D vs H2n  (Read 7229 times)

Offline easyed

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
Re: Internals: DR2D vs H2n
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »
That's how most of us are using it, Ed.  It's the entire reason for being of this recorder as far as I'm concerned.
That's kinda what it looked like, reading the threads, but wanted to be sure.

So I've pulled the trigger bought one for $105.99 free delivery new from authorized dealer, via ebay, item # 270937608513 (more available - I have no affiliation with seller).  The company is TMS Audio in NY but it's higher price on their website than on their ebay store.  Seems like a giveaway price!

My need: to record on separate tracks line in and external mics in, set levels independently while recording, mix the two in post.
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
That's how most of us are using it, Ed.  It's the entire reason for being of this recorder as far as I'm concerned.

Hello All,

All the reviews I've read, mention recording four tracks using the internal mics and line in, nowhere have I seen a mention of recording line in and external mic's, recording to four tracks.  I am assuming from the comments here, that if a pair of mic's are plugged into the ext mic socket, and a pair of mic's via a preamp are plugged into the Line in socket, they can be recorded on two stereo track's.

If this is correct, I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned this in reviews, or is it something that is not documented, and has been discovered by a user.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
It's covered in the user manual and extensively in the threads here at TS.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Thank's Gutbucket, I'm new to this forum, so I've had a good read.

I don't really need 4 track recording, so I'll stick to my DR-40 for now.

Jon.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:35 PM »
You can also use it to record a duplicate track at a lower level, 6db or 12 db.  For instance this weekend I will be recording a school musical.  I have no Idea what the peak  level will be and I will not able to make adjustments on the fly.  So I use dual mode and record one stereo track.  A second stereo track will automatically be recorded at a lower level.  Results, no chance of clipping ruining my track.

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
Yes, the DR-40 has the same facility, it also has a function called 'Peak reduction', which reduces the gain if the signal level reaches clipping.
Unlike normal auto level control, the gain stays down until manually adjusted again.

This gives two levels of safety.

Jon.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com