Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundboard recording with an iRiver H120  (Read 8189 times)

Offline AALLJJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Soundboard recording with an iRiver H120
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »
I have recently purchased an H120 and I will record some shows directly from the soundboard in the not so distant future. If the board has an optical out, there should not a problem using the S/PDIF in on the iRiver. If the out is a digital coaxial it wouldn't post much a problem either, I guess, since there are conversions from coax to S/PDIF.

My question is relating to an analog board signal. Is there any sense in running it through av A/D before entering my H120, hopefully through the S/PDIF.

I have checked out the Denecke AD 20 for this reason, but I will need a - 22 db attenuator to match this task.

Is there a better way of doing this, that is in the sam pricerange as the AD 20 ??

I thank you in advance for your help.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Soundboard recording with an iRiver H120
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:05:36 AM »
The board won't have a digital out. Just run line level into the iRiver and you'll be fine. Bring a mini->RCA cable, plus RCA->1/4" adapters and you'll be fine. Slim chance you'll need XLR adapters as well, but I doubt it.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »
I've needed XLRs on NUMBEROUS occasions FWIW.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline jebi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »
I've needed XLRs on NUMBEROUS occasions FWIW.

i've needed xlr's on 3 diffferent boards this month. 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »
I have 2 Hosa XRM 105 cables - 3pin XLR > RCA.  Nylon tied together, it provides me with XLR>RCA for use with my RCA>1/8" cable.

Terry

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c861
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 06:03:07 PM »
there are conversions from coax to S/PDIF.

Just for semantics sake:  S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace) is a format for transferring a digital signal.  A coax cable can carry a S/PDIF signal.  You want an optical cable to receive a S/PDIF signal with your iRiver.  Here's a definition
S/PDIF

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer file format. It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) machine or audio processing device. It allows the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion to and from an analog format, which could degrade the signal quality.

The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical connector is also sometimes used.

Semantics aside, I have never run across a board with a digital output.  I'm sure they exist, but it's unlikely you'll encounter one.  Rokpunk's suggestion is the place to start.  If you bring an RCA>mini cable and a couple 1/4">RCA converters you'll probably be fine.  As others added if you want to be sure you have every possibility covered, get some XLR cables that you can convert down to mini (1/8").
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06:06 PM »
I'll be much stronger about this than ScottT. If you want to take a SBD, you better be able to handle RCA, 1/4", and XLR because depending on the board it could easily be any one of the three. My personal experience has been about 1/3 chance for any of the three, and of the last three SBD's I've taken, 2 were XLR.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »
MAKE sure you talk about polarity too:) You should also have phase reverse cables incase a boards XLR output is pin 3 hot insted of pin 2 hot so your output will be in phase with your room mics :)

Chris Church

I'll be much stronger about this than ScottT. If you want to take a SBD, you better be able to handle RCA, 1/4", and XLR because depending on the board it could easily be any one of the three. My personal experience has been about 1/3 chance for any of the three, and of the last three SBD's I've taken, 2 were XLR.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
MAKE sure you talk about polarity too:) You should also have phase reverse cables incase a boards XLR output is pin 3 hot insted of pin 2 hot so your output will be in phase with your room mics :)

Chris Church

Of course, if your editing software has a polarity reversal option, you can fix this in post if you don't have the right cables.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »
On one occasion I patched into a digital board (I've done 100+ board patches usually mixed with mics).  It was a festi in Indiana and the sound company hauled gear from FL to do the job, so they were traveling light.  The little yamaha digital board he used was tiny (~19" x24") and with a rack of adat pre's he was able to use it for 32 channels effectivly.
     the house engineer warned me against using the s/pdif signal because he didn't run his board hot and there is typically no way to amplify a digital signal on most recording devices (except in post).  It will be an extreemly rare occasion that you see a digital console in use at a venue.  For the record, 90% of the board's I patch I get xlr, but that is not to say that rca wouldn't also be available in most cases.  I use ballanced inputs so I prefer a ballanced out from the board when I can get it (Iriver is unballanced so unballanced is fine) .  I also typically mix board and mics, and through the matrix out you can usually get a signal without the effects which is my preferance when mixing board and mics.  Carry all 3 adapters for sure!!!!!!!!!

Chris Church

Of course, if your editing software has a polarity reversal option, you can fix this in post if you don't have the right cables.

Man!  You guys must think this Irvier is one bad mama-jama! It is just 2 channel and the guy just wants a board patch!  Chris... Mr. Old School  ;D... are there current production boards that have hot pin 3?  I'm asking not attacking!  I don't *think* I have ever run into this.  However I do carry phase reversing adapters so that when I run my mics pointing at the audience from the stage I can match the polarity of the board.  If the board out was backwards I wouldn't need them!

Matt
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:21:36 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »

Chris Church

Out of curiosity what would a recording with reversed polarity sound like?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:23:14 PM »
If you are using room mics with a board feed, and your room mics are (+) with respect to pin 2 and your board feed is (-) with respect to pin 2. You will notice a lack of bottom end and other things that are dependant on his or her mix and if you took a stereo feed vs. a mono feed and panning and your room mic placement and how identical the board feed sound is to the P.A / room sound.

So it’s a hard question to answer but generally speaking it’s a lack of bottom end that is the first clue, much less then was present on the day of the recording when you listen to the playback. This is a very often overlooked problem, as is time alignment between the room mics and the board feed so they arrive at roughly the same time. These two factors IMHO can make or break a live concert matrix recording.
And is the challenge of any real live recording engineer.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 02:54:39 PM »
If you are using room mics with a board feed, and your room mics are (+) with respect to pin 2 and your board feed is (-) with respect to pin 2. You will notice a lack of bottom end and other things that are dependant on his or her mix and if you took a stereo feed vs. a mono feed and panning and your room mic placement and how identical the board feed sound is to the P.A / room sound.

So it’s a hard question to answer but generally speaking it’s a lack of bottom end that is the first clue, much less then was present on the day of the recording when you listen to the playback. This is a very often overlooked problem, as is time alignment between the room mics and the board feed so they arrive at roughly the same time. These two factors IMHO can make or break a live concert matrix recording.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Good use of the word Matrix Chris ;)

Firm Dragon, if it is just a 2chan board patch you most likely won't notice any difference.  That kind of differance takes a pretty keen ear.  As Chris said though, a mix of multiple sources with the polarity oposite is going to sound almost mono, lacking in bass, and generally like ass.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
Thanks I knew you would see that :) I learn things here too like the word matrix.

Chris Church

Chris Church

Good use of the word Matrix Chris ;)

Firm Dragon, if it is just a 2chan board patch you most likely won't notice any difference.  That kind of differance takes a pretty keen ear.  As Chris said though, a mix of multiple sources with the polarity oposite is going to sound almost mono, lacking in bass, and generally like ass.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 02:59:21 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
Thanks I knew you would see that :) I learn things here too like the word matrix.

+T for being a good sport Chris.

Matt

Offline AALLJJ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 03:31:20 PM »
First of all I would like to thank all of the people above for the useful and insightful input to my question. To be honest, this is somewhat out of my league, at the moment, and the initial scope of the question was a mere boardpatch, as pointed out above. I will keep monitoring this thread though, so any interesting input one feels necessary to add - I thank any and all of you in advance.

I will attempt a board recording within a month or so, solo acoustic show, so I guess the omission from a matrix set is not that grave !?!?

Still, when I have read up on the topic here on the forum and from other sources, I may come back with a question regarding matrix set ups.

Again, thank's alot for all the input, and please, do not hesitate to keep it coming if there is more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com