Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni's In the Wind  (Read 7193 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: Omni's In the Wind
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but my bet is that any multi pattern LD mic is gonna be duel diaphragm.

Practically all of them are indeed. Still, I find they're much less problematic with a little wind in outside conditions than SDs. This should be due to the fact that there is a certain amount of free space inside the grille which helps to correlate wind noise. Put a simple foam windscreen and some fur over an NT-2a in any directivity setting and you'll get decent recordings where an NT-5 will only produce noise and low-frequency rumble.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
I saw this in action the other day.  We went to see Gov't Mule with Jackie Greene opening.   The venue (Bank of America Pavilion) is a big tent open on the sides.   It's generally not windy, but it was that day.  I left my "big ass shure" windscreens in the car and only had the light duty wind screens.  For Jackie I was going to run 480's with CK61 card caps, but I could see the wind peaking the meters when we set up.  I switched to omni caps and had no problems.  I changed over for Mule... I was going to run the JZ BT201 cards, but the wind was still a problem.  I switched to the "Open Card" caps (which I interpret as kind of a sub-card cap) and wind was not a problem.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
I saw this in action the other day.  We went to see Gov't Mule with Jackie Greene opening.   The venue (Bank of America Pavilion) is a big tent open on the sides.   It's generally not windy, but it was that day.  I left my "big ass shure" windscreens in the car and only had the light duty wind screens.  For Jackie I was going to run 480's with CK61 card caps, but I could see the wind peaking the meters when we set up.  I switched to omni caps and had no problems.  I changed over for Mule... I was going to run the JZ BT201 cards, but the wind was still a problem.  I switched to the "Open Card" caps (which I interpret as kind of a sub-card cap) and wind was not a problem.

Interesting.  Just for a frame of reference, can you describe maybe how hard the wind was blowing and whether it was gusting?  Thanks.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »

Interesting.  Just for a frame of reference, can you describe maybe how hard the wind was blowing and whether it was gusting?  Thanks.

I'm not good at guessing how fast... I'll guess gusts of 15mph... you know on a hot day you say "that breeze feels good?" that's what it was like one it wasn't gusting and that's probably 5mph, but when it was gusting it was 2 or 3 times as much... enough so the mic stand was bobbing around in the breeze and we reached up to hold it steady a few times.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »
I'm not good at guessing how fast... I'll guess gusts of 15mph... you know on a hot day you say "that breeze feels good?" that's what it was like one it wasn't gusting and that's probably 5mph, but when it was gusting it was 2 or 3 times as much... enough so the mic stand was bobbing around in the breeze and we reached up to hold it steady a few times.

Thanks SmokinJoe, your description is more what I was thinking rather than a specific wind speed, so yeah that gives a good frame of reference.  Much appreciated.

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »
Some of you guys are so smart it's scary.  Please use your mojo to fix the planet at some point ;D  (the last guy broke it)
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.267 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com