Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 (sp-cmc-4's) bass roll off  (Read 6410 times)

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
Re: AT8533X bass roll off switch
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 07:39:22 AM »
Hi there!

Well, this is part of what I'm confused by here... if I don't switch on the phantom power on the Tascam, it simply won't see the external mics at all.
It seemed weird to me to use the on-board phantom power when also using the AT8533X modules to connect the mics to the deck, but if I'm going to use those mics with this deck, then there doesn't seem to be any way around it, from what I can gather. I realize that the gear I'm discussing here has all been discontinued over the course of time, but I haven't been able to find any legacy documentation that sheds any light on this. I've got a manual for the deck, and I've found specs for the mics, but nothing at all regarding the AT8533X modules, hence me resurrecting this ancient thread.

- - - -

I've always leaned toward using the *least* amount of in-line or on-board processing, but in this situation, I've got a pair of mics that *need* the AT8533X in order to connect it to the XLR input on the Tascam. BUT.... the AT8533X is not just an adapter, but a power module... and.... there is a switch on the Tascam which supplies phantom power to the mics.... am I wrong in thinking that these two features might not play well with each other?

I don't think you want to send phantom from the Tascam if the AT8533X is supplying phantom power, if that's what you're asking.  But you talked a bit about the bass roll-off as well, so are you asking about whether to use that?
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AT853 (sp-cmc-4's) bass roll off
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 05:41:42 PM »
Hi GroundHog,

there is no need to have documentation for AT8533. These are not old things, they still work and are used. Gutbucket explained it. The adapter AT8533 is converting P48V to the voltage that suits AT mics. If you power AT mics directly with 48V, you will burn them. To your note - when you turn off the P48V at Tascam, the adapter has no voltage and the microphones are not powered. The second function of the adapter is that it also convert an unbalanced input signal from a mic to a balanced output. So you can use very long cables between your Tascam and the adapter.

It is also possible to have the AT mics modified and use them with a battery box with a 9V battery. Then, of course, you don't turn on phantom power on Tascam because the microphones are powered by a battery box.

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
Hi there -

I do understand the function of P48V on the Tascam unit; that if the P48V is turned off, the mics are not being powered - and that means the mics are not capturing a signal.
In other words, through trial and error ( and an act of blind faith), it became apparent to me that I *had* to switch on the P48V on the Tascam, if I want to use the external mics.

My question was related to the earlier comment from heathen:

I don't think you want to send phantom from the Tascam if the AT8533X is supplying phantom power, if that's what you're asking.  But you talked a bit about the bass roll-off as well, so are you asking about whether to use that?

The AT8533 modules have been described as "phantom power modules", which *might* be interpreted to suggest that they supply the P48V, in a similar manner as the darktrain 4.7k mod y-cable (which I can't use with the Tascam, because the only options for externals are XLR or TLS).

Maybe that description is not the best verbiage to describe them, then? It seems that what they really are, is an adapter that converts mini-XLR to XLR, and also happens to have a bass roll-off switch, which beatkilla helped sort out by referring to the barely visible lines on either side of the switch.

Given all that, I do think that *some* documentation could have helpful, otherwise it leaves a lot of trial-and-error, which in this case was harmless, but with other types of gear, could have ended up being destructive.

If these are the ones i think they are than the switch only goes left and right.To one side is a STRAIGHT LINE(flat frequency NO roll off)  the other way is a slanted line for BASS ROLL OFF.If that is worn off than the switch towards the xlr connector side should be bass roll off on.

- - - -

Hi GroundHog,

there is no need to have documentation for AT8533. These are not old things, they still work and are used. Gutbucket explained it. The adapter AT8533 is converting P48V to the voltage that suits AT mics. If you power AT mics directly with 48V, you will burn them. To your note - when you turn off the P48V at Tascam, the adapter has no voltage and the microphones are not powered. The second function of the adapter is that it also convert an unbalanced input signal from a mic to a balanced output. So you can use very long cables between your Tascam and the adapter.

It is also possible to have the AT mics modified and use them with a battery box with a 9V battery. Then, of course, you don't turn on phantom power on Tascam because the microphones are powered by a battery box.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
Heaten wrote it inaccurately. AT8533 is not supplying phantom power, but convert it. AT8533 is converting phantom power 48V to 3V (my AT8538 has output 3V, other adapters may have slightly different output voltages). And it is also making the output signal to be balanced. So the connection between Tascam and AT8533 is balanced. For balanced connections are used XLR and sometimes TRS connectors.

Darktrain 4.7k mod cable is intended for use with battery box. In this case, the signal is unbalanced. I think you can connect unbalanced sources to Tascam.  It should be possible via two TS jacks 6.3 or via single stereo jack 3.5. Check it in the manual of Tascam. If it is possible, then you can use Mics + Battery box 9V + Tascam with the P48V off. When recording loud music, use Mics + Darktrain 4.7k mod cable + Battery box 9V + Tascam with the P48V off.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:10:26 PM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com