Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise canceling for live monitoring?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
Noise canceling for live monitoring?
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
I need headphones/earbuds for monitoring shows and I've thought about a pair of active noise canceling. I'm worried that the noise canceling will be problematic as the live monitoring is the basically the same sound they are trying to cancel. Has anyone used noise canceling for live use? Good or bad?
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Noise canceling for live monitoring?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »
Look at IEMs, you can isolate and get better effects (especially for your hearing).

Come to mind: Etymotic, Westone, UltraEars, (or if you have a ton of money) JH Audio.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
supreme sound isolation can be achieved from the sennheiser hd 25ii
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507447-REG/Sennheiser_HD_25_1_II_HD_25_1_II.html

they are not noise canceling or IEMS but work very well.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
It's certainly possible, but I don't think the circuitry in any available active-canceling phones have enough headroom to handle high SPL levels.  The professional level phones with active cancelling that pilots use might work but I haven't looked into those as they don't really fit my requirements (huge, expensive, etc).

The best passive isloating solution I've found are the Etymotic ER4's I've had for over 10 years, installed in regular high-isolation foam ear plugs by using a leather punch, although I usually don't monitor but always wear ear-protection at loud events.  With the phones installed, the foam plugs are almost as effective as they are when used alone (package claims -33dB, but I doubt they really achieve anything near that below ~150Hz).

I've tried AT 'Quiet Point' ATH-ANC3' in-ears installed in the same foam earplugs in an attempt to actively reduce more bass and achieve a more balanced tone than the foam plugs alone and the sound I got was spectacularly well balanced at lower SPL levels, eliminating all the ear-plug's 'all bass & no trebble' tone.. but the ATs clipped on bass peaks of loud material where they would be useful.  I haven't tried other active canceling phones, but since they are all designed for blocking realtively low level noise and aim for good battery life, I bet they'd all clip, even if though the specific circuit may be more effective in some than others (the AT circut is quite good).  Once it clips it sounds horrible as expected and is no longer cancelling the sound. I actually considered trying to hack the board from them with beefed up powering and amp circuitry but the electronics are beyond my skill level.  So I consider the concept proven, but have gone back to fully crammed -33dB plugs for now.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com