Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roku SoundBridge network media player  (Read 2126 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Roku SoundBridge network media player
« on: December 02, 2005, 03:47:11 PM »
Has anyone used a Roku SoundBridge network music player? Looks like it will play FLACs with the SlimServer software. The cheap model is only $150.

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

Essentially, I'd like to play the FLACs that are on my computer through my playback system. This appears to allow me to do that, wirelessly from the computer to the Roku, digitally from the Roku to the receiver. Unless I'm missing something, apart from configuring the SlimServer software and the wireless network, all I need to do is have my computer on.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Roku SoundBridge network media player
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 03:57:45 PM »
Ah, a Squeezebox alternative.  I'm in the process of putting together a similar setup, and I suspected there were other such products out there, just never dug around for them.  Thanks for the post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
Ah, it looks like the Roku does not do 24bit files and is wireless B rated. Unless I'm mistaken, the Squeezebox does 24/48 and has wireless G.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 04:10:59 PM by bgalizio »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:14:50 PM »
Yes, SB2/SB3 both support 24-bit, but only SR of up to 48k.  Looks like the M1001 (which is a different model designation than the M1000 on their website) supports up to 16/48.  The PDF specs don't even reference the M500.  And the 16-bit playback is confusing, since they list the M2000 as having a 24-bit DAC.  ???

Edit to add:  I didn't find any mention in the specs whether the M1000/2000 support 24-bit digital output.  I assume when their specs reference 16-bit output, they mean via the internal DAC.  But...not sure.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:48:35 PM »
I personally wouldn't touch the Roku.  All of the real development is done by Slim Devices and the company is extremely community oriented.  Roku is just in it to make a buck and is not giving anything back to the community.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 06:53:59 PM »
Yes, SB2/SB3 both support 24-bit, but only SR of up to 48k.  Looks like the M1001 (which is a different model designation than the M1000 on their website) supports up to 16/48.  The PDF specs don't even reference the M500.  And the 16-bit playback is confusing, since they list the M2000 as having a 24-bit DAC.  ???

Edit to add:  I didn't find any mention in the specs whether the M1000/2000 support 24-bit digital output.  I assume when their specs reference 16-bit output, they mean via the internal DAC.  But...not sure.

It doesn't support 24 bits.  It's been around for quite some time without revision.  The refrenve to the 24bit dac would be that it uses an upsampling dac chip is all. 

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com